Which Video card

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
I'm building a system for a buddy on a limited budget. He bought a ECS mobo, and Athlon 1.2Ghz 266 FSB processor, he has 256Mb of Ram. Here's the question: He has narrowed his video card selection to two choices: The MSI geforce 2 Gts 32 Mb DDR, OR the ATI Radeon VIVO 64Mb DDR. Which one do you guys recommend????
TX

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
which is cheaper? either way, both are good video cards. i would get the radeon for its dvd playback.

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB

dhlucke

Polypheme
Check out the Gainward GeForce2 Pro 450 before deciding.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

G

Oh my god..
The Radeon is MUCH better than the MX!
Between the GF2 Pro and the Radeon...Radeon still wins.
1. Better at high res (kills GF2 at 1600x1200)
2. Better image quality
3. VIVO
4. DVD playback

<font color=blue>Jesus saves...</font color=blue><font color=red>and takes half damage!</font color=red>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I am sorry, but your post is inaccurate. In benchmarks, the Radeon suffers considerable loss in FPS when the resolutions is made higher, where as the GeForce cards do not suffer as much. The GeForce 2 GTS is better than a Radeon, I have seen a 64MB Radeon struggle to keep up with a 32MB GF2 (the original). Although the MX is weaker, and will be beaten by a Radeon, I do not belive he is looking to buy an MX. The Radeon stands no chance against a Pro, your data is incorrect. In addition, I find that the image quality is not noticeable. VIVO functions can also be found on GeForce cards.

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
this is starting to become another nvidia vs. ati debate on which card is better. bottom line...like i said before, both cards well perform very well. the performance difference between the 2 cards is almost neglible so it doesn't really matter which card you get. again...if you can find the gf2 for a price less than the radeon, get it and vice versa.

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB

dhlucke

Polypheme
Exactly, and the card I suggested is around $122 and it performs close to an ultra with it's 4.5ns memory. I have the card and recommend it.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

ycs46241

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
either card is a good choice but check out prices at
<A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com/" target="_new">http://www.pricewatch.com/</A>