Installing Older version of XP Pro

I bought XP Pro a couple of years ago, never installed it. I recently bought
a new desk top that only had XP home, can I install my older upgrade version
on the newer XP Home edition?
3 answers Last reply
More about installing older version

    Make a new Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 slipstreamed
    and then perform the upgrade installation with the new CD.

    Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
    (integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

    Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    or

    AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
    http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "debbiev" wrote:

    | I bought XP Pro a couple of years ago, never installed it. I recently bought
    | a new desk top that only had XP home, can I install my older upgrade version
    | on the newer XP Home edition?

    Hi Carey: I created my new CD, it was very easy with the AutoStreamer.
    Thanks. Debbie

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Make a new Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 slipstreamed
    > and then perform the upgrade installation with the new CD.
    >
    > Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
    > (integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:
    >
    > Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
    > http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
    >
    > or
    >
    > AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
    > http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2
    >
    > Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
    >

    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "debbiev" wrote:
    >
    > | I bought XP Pro a couple of years ago, never installed it. I recently bought
    > | a new desk top that only had XP home, can I install my older upgrade version
    > | on the newer XP Home edition?

    Hi debbiev,

    Chances are that your recently purchased computer has XP with Service Pack 2
    included. In order to use the older XP Pro, you would need to create an
    install CD slipstreamed with SP2:
    http://theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "debbiev" <debbiev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I bought XP Pro a couple of years ago, never installed it. I recently
    bought
    > a new desk top that only had XP home, can I install my older upgrade
    version
    > on the newer XP Home edition?

Support Microsoft Windows XP