Dimension 3000 Heating / Noise...

Hello All!
My wife's Dimension 3000 works like a charm. However, after ~ 45 min of
usage, the fan goes full speed and makes a whole lot of noise (drives me nut
when I am using my 400SC). The machine has a 3GHz P4 and I think that it is
just overheating and the temp control of the fan sets it at full speed.

I wanted to ask for suggestions to add extra cooling to the maching (an
extra fan on the case or something). Any suggestions will be greatly
appreciated.

She loves the PC, so I just want to make it quieter (amazingly enough, the
noise does not bother her :-)
).

El Quimico
3 answers Last reply
More about dimension 3000 heating noise

    Try the non-invasive approach first. Go to Wal-Mart, Costco or some other
    such superstore and purchase a small fan. I picked up a 10 inch, desk type
    fan for under $12. Point the fan at the back of the PC and turn it on. Try
    the slowest speed setting first and place the fan about 6 feet from the PC
    to avoid any electrical interference. If your wife's machine is in one of
    the under-the-desk and on wheels type units, don't worry about being able to
    get the fan to blow directly on the back of the PC. Just the additional
    circulation can be quite beneficial.

    "El Quimico" <elquimico@uiuc.edu> wrote in message
    > Hello All!
    > My wife's Dimension 3000 works like a charm. However, after ~ 45 min
    of
    > usage, the fan goes full speed and makes a whole lot of noise (drives me
    nut
    > when I am using my 400SC). The machine has a 3GHz P4 and I think that it
    is
    > just overheating and the temp control of the fan sets it at full speed.
    >
    > I wanted to ask for suggestions to add extra cooling to the maching (an
    > extra fan on the case or something). Any suggestions will be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > She loves the PC, so I just want to make it quieter (amazingly enough, the
    > noise does not bother her :-)
    > ).
    >
    > El Quimico

    "El Quimico" <elquimico@uiuc.edu> wrote in message news:d8k3c8$um3$1@news.ks.uiuc.edu...
    > Hello All!
    > My wife's Dimension 3000 works like a charm. However, after ~ 45 min of
    > usage, the fan goes full speed and makes a whole lot of noise (drives me nut
    > when I am using my 400SC). The machine has a 3GHz P4 and I think that it is
    > just overheating and the temp control of the fan sets it at full speed.

    I don't know whether the 3000 has a PS with variable speed fan, so I
    have to ask... which fan is causing the noise? Is it simply the case of
    a fan revving higher and producing more "wind noise" or are there other
    components to the noise like rattling or whining?

    I haven't been around a 3000, but in general, it has been my experience
    that systems idle indefinitely at low fan speeds when in a cool room and
    in a spot that provides ample ventilation. You don't say how hot that
    room is, whether the computer is enclosed in some kind of hutch, what
    kind of load is being put on the system, etc so one can only wonder
    whether some increase in fan speed is to be expected.

    The speed of variable speed fans is going to be a function of something...
    load and/or temperature, and possibly also BIOS settings. Conceptually
    there could be a hardware problem. Not sure about the 3000's setup
    options, but I'd at least take a pass through there to see if there are any fan
    related settings. Have you inspected the fans, grills, behind the front bezel,
    underneath the CPU duct, etc to make sure there is nothing obstructing
    air flow? In which direction are the PS and CPU fan blowing the air?
    You'll want to rule out some kind of problem before heading down the
    mod road.

    Sorry for the delays in replying. I moved 2 weeks ago and have been swamped
    in painting/lawm mowing / picture hanging.....

    Anyway, I think that calling Dell will be the best choice. There are no
    obstructions on the airflow. The noisy fan is the one connected to the
    exahust duck that takes air out of the heatsink. In terms of hutch, etc. the
    PC is actually in the floor, completely open airflow as we are awaiting the
    delivery of new furniture. It was making the same noise before we moved (we
    were busy packing to take care of it). The hotter the room, the faster it
    goest to making noise (when we have the AC off, it is almost unbearable).

    I have to check the BIOS, but I do not remember settings there. We will see
    what can I find. My guess is that whatever temp. controller the fan uses is
    faulty (reading too high).

    Diego J.

    "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

    > "El Quimico" <elquimico@uiuc.edu> wrote in message
    >> Hello All!
    >> My wife's Dimension 3000 works like a charm. However, after ~ 45 min
    >> of usage, the fan goes full speed and makes a whole lot of noise (drives
    >> me nut when I am using my 400SC). The machine has a 3GHz P4 and I think
    >> that it is just overheating and the temp control of the fan sets it at
    >> full speed.
    >
    > I don't know whether the 3000 has a PS with variable speed fan, so I
    > have to ask... which fan is causing the noise? Is it simply the case of
    > a fan revving higher and producing more "wind noise" or are there other
    > components to the noise like rattling or whining?
    >
    > I haven't been around a 3000, but in general, it has been my experience
    > that systems idle indefinitely at low fan speeds when in a cool room and
    > in a spot that provides ample ventilation. You don't say how hot that
    > room is, whether the computer is enclosed in some kind of hutch, what
    > kind of load is being put on the system, etc so one can only wonder
    > whether some increase in fan speed is to be expected.
    >
    > The speed of variable speed fans is going to be a function of something...
    > load and/or temperature, and possibly also BIOS settings. Conceptually
    > there could be a hardware problem. Not sure about the 3000's setup
    > options, but I'd at least take a pass through there to see if there are
    > any fan
    > related settings. Have you inspected the fans, grills, behind the front
    > bezel,
    > underneath the CPU duct, etc to make sure there is nothing obstructing
    > air flow? In which direction are the PS and CPU fan blowing the air?
    > You'll want to rule out some kind of problem before heading down the
    > mod road.

Dell Fan Dimension Heating Computers