  • Heating
  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
June 13, 2005 1:55:33 PM

Hello All!
My wife's Dimension 3000 works like a charm. However, after ~ 45 min of
usage, the fan goes full speed and makes a whole lot of noise (drives me nut
when I am using my 400SC). The machine has a 3GHz P4 and I think that it is
just overheating and the temp control of the fan sets it at full speed.

I wanted to ask for suggestions to add extra cooling to the maching (an
extra fan on the case or something). Any suggestions will be greatly
appreciated.

She loves the PC, so I just want to make it quieter (amazingly enough, the
noise does not bother her :-)
).

El Quimico

More about : dimension 3000 heating noise

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 11:15:12 PM

Try the non-invasive approach first. Go to Wal-Mart, Costco or some other
such superstore and purchase a small fan. I picked up a 10 inch, desk type
fan for under $12. Point the fan at the back of the PC and turn it on. Try
the slowest speed setting first and place the fan about 6 feet from the PC
to avoid any electrical interference. If your wife's machine is in one of
the under-the-desk and on wheels type units, don't worry about being able to
get the fan to blow directly on the back of the PC. Just the additional
circulation can be quite beneficial.

"El Quimico" <elquimico@uiuc.edu> wrote in message
news:D 8k3c8$um3$1@news.ks.uiuc.edu...
> Hello All!
> My wife's Dimension 3000 works like a charm. However, after ~ 45 min
of
> usage, the fan goes full speed and makes a whole lot of noise (drives me
nut
> when I am using my 400SC). The machine has a 3GHz P4 and I think that it
is
> just overheating and the temp control of the fan sets it at full speed.
>
> I wanted to ask for suggestions to add extra cooling to the maching (an
> extra fan on the case or something). Any suggestions will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> She loves the PC, so I just want to make it quieter (amazingly enough, the
> noise does not bother her :-)
> ).
>
> El Quimico

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:29:26 PM

"El Quimico" <elquimico@uiuc.edu> wrote in message news:D 8k3c8$um3$1@news.ks.uiuc.edu...
> Hello All!
> My wife's Dimension 3000 works like a charm. However, after ~ 45 min of
> usage, the fan goes full speed and makes a whole lot of noise (drives me nut
> when I am using my 400SC). The machine has a 3GHz P4 and I think that it is
> just overheating and the temp control of the fan sets it at full speed.

I don't know whether the 3000 has a PS with variable speed fan, so I
have to ask... which fan is causing the noise? Is it simply the case of
a fan revving higher and producing more "wind noise" or are there other
components to the noise like rattling or whining?

I haven't been around a 3000, but in general, it has been my experience
that systems idle indefinitely at low fan speeds when in a cool room and
in a spot that provides ample ventilation. You don't say how hot that
room is, whether the computer is enclosed in some kind of hutch, what
kind of load is being put on the system, etc so one can only wonder
whether some increase in fan speed is to be expected.

The speed of variable speed fans is going to be a function of something...
load and/or temperature, and possibly also BIOS settings. Conceptually
there could be a hardware problem. Not sure about the 3000's setup
options, but I'd at least take a pass through there to see if there are any fan
related settings. Have you inspected the fans, grills, behind the front bezel,
underneath the CPU duct, etc to make sure there is nothing obstructing
air flow? In which direction are the PS and CPU fan blowing the air?
You'll want to rule out some kind of problem before heading down the
mod road.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:19:51 AM

Sorry for the delays in replying. I moved 2 weeks ago and have been swamped
in painting/lawm mowing / picture hanging.....

Anyway, I think that calling Dell will be the best choice. There are no
obstructions on the airflow. The noisy fan is the one connected to the
exahust duck that takes air out of the heatsink. In terms of hutch, etc. the
PC is actually in the floor, completely open airflow as we are awaiting the
delivery of new furniture. It was making the same noise before we moved (we
were busy packing to take care of it). The hotter the room, the faster it
goest to making noise (when we have the AC off, it is almost unbearable).

I have to check the BIOS, but I do not remember settings there. We will see
what can I find. My guess is that whatever temp. controller the fan uses is
faulty (reading too high).

Diego J.

!