Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

windows xp error message

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 11:28:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

When trying to update windows I get an error message saying that I must be a
computer administrator, but I am a computer administrator. Is there any way I
can fix this?

More about : windows error message

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 3:49:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Windows Update was disabled by your system administrator" error message
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326686

"Administrators only" error message when you attempt to use the Windows
Update site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316524

When trying to access the Windows Update site, you see an Administrators
only error. The text reads: Your current security settings prohibit running
ActiveX controls

Problem description
This error may occur if the Internet Explorer settings are preventing
ActiveX controls from running.

Resolutions
Enable ActiveX controls in Internet Explorer
1. Start Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. Select the Security tab.
4. Select the Internet Web zone icon.
5. To adjust the security level, click Default Level.
6. Click Apply, and then click OK.
7. Try Windows Update again.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:120459FF-AFDC-4DDE-B15F-28B3F545E61E@microsoft.com,
WanderingStar629 <WanderingStar629@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
pecked:
> When trying to update windows I get an error message saying that I must
> be a computer administrator, but I am a computer administrator. Is there
> any way I can fix this?
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:06:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

i tried what microsoft said to do.. it still won't work.. i have an update on
the comp for the SP2 and it starts to install but gets so far and a message
comes up saying "Control ID not found" .. any ideas?

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> "Windows Update was disabled by your system administrator" error message
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326686
>
> "Administrators only" error message when you attempt to use the Windows
> Update site
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316524
>
> When trying to access the Windows Update site, you see an Administrators
> only error. The text reads: Your current security settings prohibit running
> ActiveX controls
>
> Problem description
> This error may occur if the Internet Explorer settings are preventing
> ActiveX controls from running.
>
> Resolutions
> Enable ActiveX controls in Internet Explorer
> 1. Start Internet Explorer.
> 2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
> 3. Select the Security tab.
> 4. Select the Internet Web zone icon.
> 5. To adjust the security level, click Default Level.
> 6. Click Apply, and then click OK.
> 7. Try Windows Update again.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:120459FF-AFDC-4DDE-B15F-28B3F545E61E@microsoft.com,
> WanderingStar629 <WanderingStar629@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
> pecked:
> > When trying to update windows I get an error message saying that I must
> > be a computer administrator, but I am a computer administrator. Is there
> > any way I can fix this?
>
>
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 9:08:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

[[Control ID not found
By: John Gormly
Posted On: 1/11/2005

During the install of SP2 for Windows XP, you may receive the following
error message:

Service Pack 2 Setup Error
Control ID not found

When you press OK, you receive:

Service Pack 2 Setup Error
Service Pack 2 installation did not complete.

This behavior can occur if the setup program, Update.exe, cannot open a .CAB
file because an anti-virus program locks it to scan for viruses.

To workaround this behavior:

1. Download SP2 to your local hard disk.

2. Temporarily disable the anti-virus program.

3. Install Service Pack 2.

4. After the restart, re-enable the anti-virus monitor.

NOTE: Please make sure you check the anti-virus manufacturer's web site for
an update for SP2. ]]
From...
Control ID not found
http://myitforum.techtarget.com/articles/15/view.asp?id...

You can download XP SP2 here...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...


--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:4A4AD9A8-5BCB-445C-8071-93D4C04036AE@microsoft.com,
WanderingStar629 <WanderingStar629@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
pecked:
> i tried what microsoft said to do.. it still won't work.. i have an
> update on the comp for the SP2 and it starts to install but gets so far
> and a message comes up saying "Control ID not found" .. any ideas?
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> "Windows Update was disabled by your system administrator" error message
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326686
>>
>> "Administrators only" error message when you attempt to use the Windows
>> Update site
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316524
>>
>> When trying to access the Windows Update site, you see an Administrators
>> only error. The text reads: Your current security settings prohibit
>> running ActiveX controls
>>
>> Problem description
>> This error may occur if the Internet Explorer settings are preventing
>> ActiveX controls from running.
>>
>> Resolutions
>> Enable ActiveX controls in Internet Explorer
>> 1. Start Internet Explorer.
>> 2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
>> 3. Select the Security tab.
>> 4. Select the Internet Web zone icon.
>> 5. To adjust the security level, click Default Level.
>> 6. Click Apply, and then click OK.
>> 7. Try Windows Update again.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:120459FF-AFDC-4DDE-B15F-28B3F545E61E@microsoft.com,
>> WanderingStar629 <WanderingStar629@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
>> pecked:
>>> When trying to update windows I get an error message saying that I must
>>> be a computer administrator, but I am a computer administrator. Is there
>>> any way I can fix this?
!