Freeze up..

G

I had to change out a ATI AGP video card, because it was causing freeze ups at intermittent times. I had the Diamond PCI card laying around, so I installed that. This corrected the freeze up problems, but now I can't access my a: drive without the machine freezing up. I can start in Safe Mode, and everything is fine. Go back to a regular boot, and as soon as I click on the floppy it freezes. Seeing that the only thing that has changed is the video card I am suspecting that is the culprit, but need some more input. Device Manager shows no conflicts. What can I do?

AMD K6-2 500MHZ
ASUS P5-A BIOS 1007-A
Win98SE
AGP Empty
Diamond Stealth III S540 32mb PCI slot 1
PCI 2 Empty
PCI 3 Ensoniq sound card
PCI 4 NIC
PCI 5 SCSI
ISA 1 Modem

G

you need to check device manager to see if any IRQ,DMA,I/o have the same number. you then need to check cmos to see if you can disable anything. These types of problems are cause by two thing trying to share one one the resources

G

According to Device Manager I have no conflicts on any level.

G

I just found out something interesting. If I click on the A: drive without a disk in it there is no freeze up. It just tells me that the A: drive is not accessable. As soon as I put a disk in the drive and repeat the procedure it freezes. Does that help?

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do you have your mainboard chipset and IDE drivers installed?

<font color=blue>Another waste of bandwidth on the web. :tongue: </font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS