No Taskbar after SP2 install

I have a computer that has had XP installed on it for over one year with no
problems.

A few days ago it exhibited an error message "Initiated by NT
Authority/System - Remote Call Service terminated unexpectedly" in 60
seconds it rebooted the computer.

The process repeated itself whenever the computer was rebooted.

I found news messages that others had had this experience when a certain
virus was active in 2003 and concluded that somehow I had been infected.
The Microsoft letters on the subject have not yielded anything that
worked.( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893086 for example)

After a few attempts to correct the situation, I decided to do reinstall XP
and did a clean install, allowing the installer to format the C drive.

I installed all the security updates including the SP1 and the automatic
update routines. Then I let automatic install 25 security updates
preparatory to installing SP2. The computer and windows worked normally.

I allowed SP2 to install automatically.

Upon reboot, a message popped up "Checkpoint Scheduler: Task Scheduler is
not running."

There is no taskbar, but icons on the desktop remain and are functional.

I am working with Microsoft but nothing they have suggested has changed
anything.

I have tried the procedure all over again and get the same result, including
using sp2 update from a CD instead of downloading.

My alternative seems so far to be to run without sp2.

Has anyone had a similar experience or a solution?

There is plenty of space on the C drive and all my data is stored on
separate physical drives. This is a 1.8mHz AMD processor and an Asus board.
2 answers Last reply
More about taskbar install

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!:

    Mark L. Ferguson
    "John Price" <jlprice05@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ZsydnWvtbpcSapjeRVn-qA@comcast.com...
    >I have a computer that has had XP installed on it for over one year with no problems.
    >

    > A few days ago it exhibited an error message "Initiated by NT Authority/System - Remote Call Service terminated unexpectedly" in
    > 60 seconds it rebooted the computer.
    >

    > The process repeated itself whenever the computer was rebooted.
    >

    > I found news messages that others had had this experience when a certain virus was active in 2003 and concluded that somehow I had
    > been infected. The Microsoft letters on the subject have not yielded anything that worked.( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893086
    > for example)
    >

    > After a few attempts to correct the situation, I decided to do reinstall XP and did a clean install, allowing the installer to
    > format the C drive.
    >

    > I installed all the security updates including the SP1 and the automatic update routines. Then I let automatic install 25
    > security updates preparatory to installing SP2. The computer and windows worked normally.
    >

    > I allowed SP2 to install automatically.
    >

    > Upon reboot, a message popped up "Checkpoint Scheduler: Task Scheduler is not running."
    >

    > There is no taskbar, but icons on the desktop remain and are functional.
    >

    > I am working with Microsoft but nothing they have suggested has changed anything.
    >

    > I have tried the procedure all over again and get the same result, including using sp2 update from a CD instead of downloading.
    >

    > My alternative seems so far to be to run without sp2.
    >

    > Has anyone had a similar experience or a solution?
    >

    > There is plenty of space on the C drive and all my data is stored on separate physical drives. This is a 1.8mHz AMD processor and
    > an Asus board.

    Thanks.

    I've given up for now and running sp1. I have formatted and clean installed
    from the automatic download and from CD and still get the problem. I'm
    going to wait until I have the energy to try again later. Then I'll try
    the tool you suggested.

    "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!:

    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > FAQ for Windows Antispy
    > "John Price" <jlprice05@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a computer that has had XP installed on it for over one year with
    >>no problems.
    >>

    >> A few days ago it exhibited an error message "Initiated by NT
    >> Authority/System - Remote Call Service terminated unexpectedly" in 60
    >> seconds it rebooted the computer.
    >>

    >> The process repeated itself whenever the computer was rebooted.
    >>

    >> I found news messages that others had had this experience when a certain
    >> virus was active in 2003 and concluded that somehow I had been infected.
    >> The Microsoft letters on the subject have not yielded anything that
    >> worked.( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893086 for example)
    >>

    >> After a few attempts to correct the situation, I decided to do reinstall
    >> XP and did a clean install, allowing the installer to format the C drive.
    >>

    >> I installed all the security updates including the SP1 and the automatic
    >> update routines. Then I let automatic install 25 security updates
    >> preparatory to installing SP2. The computer and windows worked normally.
    >>

    >> I allowed SP2 to install automatically.
    >>

    >> Upon reboot, a message popped up "Checkpoint Scheduler: Task Scheduler is
    >> not running."
    >>

    >> There is no taskbar, but icons on the desktop remain and are functional.
    >>

    >> I am working with Microsoft but nothing they have suggested has changed
    >> anything.
    >>

    >> I have tried the procedure all over again and get the same result,
    >> including using sp2 update from a CD instead of downloading.
    >>

    >> My alternative seems so far to be to run without sp2.
    >>

    >> Has anyone had a similar experience or a solution?
    >>

    >> There is plenty of space on the C drive and all my data is stored on
    >> separate physical drives. This is a 1.8mHz AMD processor and an Asus
    >> board.

Computers Microsoft Windows XP