  • Internet Explorer
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 19, 2005 9:01:06 PM

Hi,

I have been helping a neighbour regain control of XP after it got riddled
with viruses and spyware. It appears to be both 'clean' and working however
IE only comes up minimised with "about:blank" as the page title. Obviously
this is damage that has been done by the now purged viruses but does anyone
know how to get IE back working again? I tried d/l and installing IE6 SP1
from the MS site hoping that may fix it.

He can still access web sites using windows explorer.

Many thanks.

Jim Robin

More about : internet explorer blank

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 9:01:07 PM

Download Hijack this, run it, save a copy of the log file and cut and paste
it back here to this group so that I can analyze it.Ignore anyone who tells
you to post it elsewhere. I need to see it not them.

HijackThis

"Jim Robin" <jarsek2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have been helping a neighbour regain control of XP after it got riddled
> with viruses and spyware. It appears to be both 'clean' and working
> however
> IE only comes up minimised with "about:blank" as the page title.
> Obviously
> this is damage that has been done by the now purged viruses but does
> anyone
> know how to get IE back working again? I tried d/l and installing IE6 SP1
> from the MS site hoping that may fix it.
>
> He can still access web sites using windows explorer.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Jim Robin

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 9:01:07 PM

Can you change the Home Page? about:blank can be selected by clicking the
Use Blank button. Or it can be set by a home page hijacker.

Open IE |Tools | Internet Options | General tab |
Home Page

Use Current button
[[Sets the Web page that you currently have open as the home page.]]

Use Default button
[[Uses the home page that was set when Internet Explorer was first
installed.]]

The Use Blank button
[[Specifies that your home page will be a blank HTML page.
The home page is the page you see each time you start Internet Explorer. You
can return to it at any time by clicking the Home button on the toolbar.]]

If you cannot change from about:blank...

PC Hell: How to Remove About:Blank Homepage Hijacker
http://www.pchell.com/support/aboutblank.shtml

Removing about:blank Homepage Hijacker
http://www.securiteam.com/securityreviews/5RP0L0UD5U.ht...

About:Blank - fix and remove the About Blank adware attack
http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/about-blank-adware.ht...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23d4$kcNpFHA.1044@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Jim Robin <jarsek2000@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
>
> I have been helping a neighbour regain control of XP after it got riddled
> with viruses and spyware. It appears to be both 'clean' and working
> however IE only comes up minimised with "about:blank" as the page title.
> Obviously this is damage that has been done by the now purged viruses but
> does anyone know how to get IE back working again? I tried d/l and
> installing IE6 SP1 from the MS site hoping that may fix it.
>
> He can still access web sites using windows explorer.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Jim Robin
August 19, 2005 9:01:07 PM

Try winsockxpfix.exe.

"Jim Robin" <jarsek2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have been helping a neighbour regain control of XP after it got riddled
> with viruses and spyware. It appears to be both 'clean' and working
> however
> IE only comes up minimised with "about:blank" as the page title.
> Obviously
> this is damage that has been done by the now purged viruses but does
> anyone
> know how to get IE back working again? I tried d/l and installing IE6 SP1
> from the MS site hoping that may fix it.
>
> He can still access web sites using windows explorer.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Jim Robin

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 9:01:08 PM

There are more appropriate places to post HijackThis logs.

Register AumHa Forums
http://forum.aumha.org/profile.php?mode=register&sid=a9...

for example.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:KGnNe.3323$Z%6.2530@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com,
pcbutts1 <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> hunted and pecked:
> Download Hijack this, run it, save a copy of the log file and cut and
> paste it back here to this group so that I can analyze it.Ignore anyone
> who tells you to post it elsewhere. I need to see it not them.
>

> HijackThis
> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/HijackThis.zip

> "Jim Robin" <jarsek2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been helping a neighbour regain control of XP after it got riddled
>> with viruses and spyware. It appears to be both 'clean' and working
>> however
>> IE only comes up minimised with "about:blank" as the page title.
>> Obviously
>> this is damage that has been done by the now purged viruses but does
>> anyone
>> know how to get IE back working again? I tried d/l and installing IE6
>> SP1 from the MS site hoping that may fix it.
>>
>> He can still access web sites using windows explorer.
>>
>> Many thanks.
>>
>> Jim Robin
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 11:30:38 AM

Hi.

about.blank is a hijack of your home page, I think one of the
CoolWebSearch variants but I'm talking under correction here. Try
using CWShredder and Spybot Search & Destroy to fix it as well as
Spywareblaster to prevent it if you're using IE.

I have switched over to the Firefox browser, apparently it's not
integrated with Windows and less open to attack and invasion by
trojans, spyware etc. Or so they say. Haven't had any problems since.

Daniél Palm
Disability is not inability

!