Office XP

Installed a new hard drive, it is the primary drive and the old drive is the
secondary.
Copied old drive to new drive as instructed by the new drives software. New
drive is now the boot drive.
My problem is that when I try to open Word or Excel (Office XP) windows
installer begins. It asks for the Office disc to begin installation. Then
a window opens up and states
"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is
unavailable."
Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing
the installation package 511974.MAINSP3ff.msp.

Where do I find this? I am running WindowsXP Home.
Microsoft says that since my XP is OEM, that they can't help me.
Can't get much help at DELL either.
3 answers Last reply
More about office

    I would reformat and reinstall. Other than that my suggestion is to keep your
    old drive as Master and slave the new drive to it.

    "Ric" wrote:

    > Installed a new hard drive, it is the primary drive and the old drive is the
    > secondary.
    > Copied old drive to new drive as instructed by the new drives software. New
    > drive is now the boot drive.
    > My problem is that when I try to open Word or Excel (Office XP) windows
    > installer begins. It asks for the Office disc to begin installation. Then
    > a window opens up and states
    > "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is
    > unavailable."
    > Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing
    > the installation package 511974.MAINSP3ff.msp.
    >
    > Where do I find this? I am running WindowsXP Home.
    > Microsoft says that since my XP is OEM, that they can't help me.
    > Can't get much help at DELL either.

    "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is
    unavailable" or "Error 1706" error message when you use a feature that is
    set to Installed on First Use
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258847

    "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is
    unavailable" error message when you click a feature in an Office 2003
    program
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=828376

    "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is
    unavailable" error message when you try to repair or reinstall Office 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266069

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23RHg%23TOpFHA.3760@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Ric <rewing@cebridge.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Installed a new hard drive, it is the primary drive and the old drive is
    > the secondary.
    > Copied old drive to new drive as instructed by the new drives software.
    > New drive is now the boot drive.
    > My problem is that when I try to open Word or Excel (Office XP) windows
    > installer begins. It asks for the Office disc to begin installation.
    > Then a window opens up and states
    > "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is
    > unavailable."
    > Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder
    > containing the installation package 511974.MAINSP3ff.msp.
    >
    > Where do I find this? I am running WindowsXP Home.
    > Microsoft says that since my XP is OEM, that they can't help me.
    > Can't get much help at DELL either.

    If you have the office CD I would suggest doing a repair install, probably
    the easiest way to fix it.

    Go to add remove programmes in control panel

    Select office then select Change, select repair then follow the rest of the
    process.

    "Ric" <rewing@cebridge.net> wrote in message
    > Installed a new hard drive, it is the primary drive and the old drive is
    > the secondary.
    > Copied old drive to new drive as instructed by the new drives software.
    > New drive is now the boot drive.
    > My problem is that when I try to open Word or Excel (Office XP) windows
    > installer begins. It asks for the Office disc to begin installation.
    > Then a window opens up and states
    > "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is
    > unavailable."
    > Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder
    > containing the installation package 511974.MAINSP3ff.msp.
    >
    > Where do I find this? I am running WindowsXP Home.
    > Microsoft says that since my XP is OEM, that they can't help me.
    > Can't get much help at DELL either.

Office Windows XP