System Restore question

In March of this year I had the dreaded W32.Klez virus. Although I was able
to destroy it, it not only turned off my system restore, but deleted the tab
from my computer properites.
Does anyone know how I can put it back on? Here's the message I get:
System Restore has been turned off by group policy. To turn on, contact your
domain Administrator.
I would appriciate any help, so I don't have to spend money to fix it, if I
can avoid it. Thankyou!
7 answers Last reply
More about system restore question

    "perrylover" <perrylover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In March of this year I had the dreaded W32.Klez virus. Although I was
    > able
    > to destroy it, it not only turned off my system restore, but deleted the
    > tab
    > from my computer properites.
    > Does anyone know how I can put it back on? Here's the message I get:
    > System Restore has been turned off by group policy. To turn on, contact
    > your
    > domain Administrator.
    > I would appriciate any help, so I don't have to spend money to fix it, if
    > can avoid it. Thankyou!

    Edit registry manually.

    Navigate to the following key:
    HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore

    In the right-hand pane, delete "DisableSR" and "DiasableConfig" or change
    the value to 0 instead of 1.

    Good Luck.

    --
    William

    Go to Start then Run
    Type mmc and click o.k

    Click File then Add/Remove Snap-in
    Select Group Policy object editor then click Add, click Finish to select
    your local computer then close the addSnapin remove box then click o.k

    Expand the Local computer policy and until you get to
    Computer configuration\Administrative Templates\System\System Restore
    Now double click on the Turn Off configuration policy, select Disabled or
    Not Configured and click o.k.
    Now close the console Window

    You should be done.
    If it doesn't update straight away go to start then run and type
    gpupdate.exe /force
    click o.k and try again.

    "perrylover" <perrylover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In March of this year I had the dreaded W32.Klez virus. Although I was
    > able
    > to destroy it, it not only turned off my system restore, but deleted the
    > tab
    > from my computer properites.
    > Does anyone know how I can put it back on? Here's the message I get:
    > System Restore has been turned off by group policy. To turn on, contact
    > your
    > domain Administrator.
    > I would appriciate any help, so I don't have to spend money to fix it, if
    > can avoid it. Thankyou!

    Thanks for the quick reply!! I'll try it out and let you know if it works!
    Appreciate it greatly.

    "Barry" wrote:

    > Go to Start then Run
    > Type mmc and click o.k
    >
    > Click File then Add/Remove Snap-in
    > Select Group Policy object editor then click Add, click Finish to select
    > your local computer then close the addSnapin remove box then click o.k
    >
    > Expand the Local computer policy and until you get to
    > Computer configuration\Administrative Templates\System\System Restore
    > Now double click on the Turn Off configuration policy, select Disabled or
    > Not Configured and click o.k.
    > Now close the console Window
    >
    > You should be done.
    > If it doesn't update straight away go to start then run and type
    > gpupdate.exe /force
    > click o.k and try again.
    >

    > "perrylover" <perrylover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > In March of this year I had the dreaded W32.Klez virus. Although I was
    > > able
    > > to destroy it, it not only turned off my system restore, but deleted the
    > > tab
    > > from my computer properites.
    > > Does anyone know how I can put it back on? Here's the message I get:
    > > System Restore has been turned off by group policy. To turn on, contact
    > > your
    > > domain Administrator.
    > > I would appriciate any help, so I don't have to spend money to fix it, if
    > > can avoid it. Thankyou!

    I did fine until the Select Group Policy part. All I get is Console Root. I
    can't change it.
    I'm sorry, probably making this harder than it is! Any solutions?

    "perrylover" wrote:

    > Thanks for the quick reply!! I'll try it out and let you know if it works!
    > Appreciate it greatly.
    >
    > "Barry" wrote:
    >
    > > Go to Start then Run
    > > Type mmc and click o.k
    > >
    > > Click File then Add/Remove Snap-in
    > > Select Group Policy object editor then click Add, click Finish to select
    > > your local computer then close the addSnapin remove box then click o.k
    > >
    > > Expand the Local computer policy and until you get to
    > > Computer configuration\Administrative Templates\System\System Restore
    > > Now double click on the Turn Off configuration policy, select Disabled or
    > > Not Configured and click o.k.
    > > Now close the console Window
    > >
    > > You should be done.
    > > If it doesn't update straight away go to start then run and type
    > > gpupdate.exe /force
    > > click o.k and try again.
    > >

    > > "perrylover" <perrylover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > In March of this year I had the dreaded W32.Klez virus. Although I was
    > > > able
    > > > to destroy it, it not only turned off my system restore, but deleted the
    > > > tab
    > > > from my computer properites.
    > > > Does anyone know how I can put it back on? Here's the message I get:
    > > > System Restore has been turned off by group policy. To turn on, contact
    > > > your
    > > > domain Administrator.
    > > > I would appriciate any help, so I don't have to spend money to fix it, if
    > > > can avoid it. Thankyou!

    See also:

    System Restore Group Policy restrictions:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/srpolicy.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "perrylover" <perrylover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In March of this year I had the dreaded W32.Klez virus. Although I was
    > able
    > to destroy it, it not only turned off my system restore, but deleted the
    > tab
    > from my computer properites.
    > Does anyone know how I can put it back on? Here's the message I get:
    > System Restore has been turned off by group policy. To turn on, contact
    > your
    > domain Administrator.
    > I would appriciate any help, so I don't have to spend money to fix it, if
    > can avoid it. Thankyou!

    Whoohoo, doing the happy dance here in the house! (i need a vacation, Iknow).
    All the suggestions worked! My system restore is now up and running. I got it
    all down on paper in case it happens again.
    Again, thank you so much for all your advice. I'll be coming back again
    with questions.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > See also:
    >
    > System Restore Group Policy restrictions:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/srpolicy.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "perrylover" <perrylover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > In March of this year I had the dreaded W32.Klez virus. Although I was
    > > able
    > > to destroy it, it not only turned off my system restore, but deleted the
    > > tab
    > > from my computer properites.
    > > Does anyone know how I can put it back on? Here's the message I get:
    > > System Restore has been turned off by group policy. To turn on, contact
    > > your
    > > domain Administrator.
    > > I would appriciate any help, so I don't have to spend money to fix it, if
    > > can avoid it. Thankyou!

    You're welcome.

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > Whoohoo, doing the happy dance here in the house! (i need a vacation,
    > Iknow).
    > All the suggestions worked! My system restore is now up and running. I got
    > it
    > all down on paper in case it happens again.
    > Again, thank you so much for all your advice. I'll be coming back again
    > with questions.
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> See also:
    >>
    >> System Restore Group Policy restrictions:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/srpolicy.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Support Microsoft System Restore Windows XP