Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installation Issues

Last response: in Windows 7
September 14, 2009 12:34:51 PM

Hi,

I am actually on Windows XP Professional x32 and I decided to upgrade my OS to something x64 as I got new processor. (AMD Athlon 64 X2). So I burned on some DVDs Vista and Windows 7 Beta (both Ultimate and x64) and when I first tested installation on VMware it worked no problem and I had no problem to install nor run Vista and Windows 7 on virtual machine. However, when I came to boot and install them for real.. Vista stayed stuck with only the background. No "Install now" box coming up .. nothing.. just the colored background. With Windows 7, it was the same then the box asking for my keyboard language and "Install Now" came up after 15 minutes.. then I waited another 30 minutes where it was saying "Starting installation...". Everything was dramatically long. After that, they were saying they could not find the required driver device for the windows installation...

Any Clue?

Config : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core. Core processor 4200+. 2.21GHz. 3GB RAM.

More about : installation issues

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
September 14, 2009 9:31:59 PM

To install Vista 64 bit on a 32 bit system you must boot from the Vista dvd and select custom instalation.
More details at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795
September 15, 2009 7:16:16 PM

From what I know, it is not possible to perform an "in-place upgrade" from any Microsoft 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS. You will have to perform a clean install.

About your driver problem, possibly one or more of your hardware components aren't supported with the 64-bit OS. This is unfortunately a common issue with 64-bit operating systems. You need to find out which component is causing the problem.
m
l
!