soccerdude90

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
the disk (cant remmeber what its called) that installs word and that on xp, is it like the old way and u can use the same one on lots of computers? or 1 per computer. also, xp isnt transferable i hear, or atleast for 3-6 months? iunno... all a little confusing.

...Meh, too lazy to think of a better sig.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Word is part of Office XP and Office 2003. It requires activation, just like Windows XP. It can't be installed on many computers like older versions of Office. Activation requires a country/region name and a product identification number. You can install one copy of Office 2003 on your main computer and another on your laptop computer for your exclusive, but non-concurrent use. To install a version of Office 2003 on more than these two devices, you must obtain another license for the program. Licenses for the 2003 release of Office acquired preinstalled on new computers are single-computer licenses that cannot be transferred or installed on another computer.

Windows XP functions in the same manner.

<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/activation.mspx" target="_new">Product Activation Overview</A>

also, xp isnt transferable i hear, or atleast for 3-6 months?
I have no idea what you are talking about! Do you mean moving a hard drive that already has WinXP to another system? (Which really wouldn't work well, unless the mainboard was the same.) And as for the time frame, that really throws me for a loop! What's that about?

I get a feeling that whoever threw this bunch of erroneous information your way needs to stick with flipping burgers for a living. You should also run like the wind if he or she offers to help you "fix" something. (No offense intended to current burger flippers; I did it myself, once upon a time, back in the dark ages.)

Think I'll have a beer now. Anyone care to join me?

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

soccerdude90

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Office Work Suite is also another thing with the WorD and other programs like it. But by transferable, i ment computer to computer, installing, like 98 is.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the disk that installs word and that on xp, it is like the old way and i can use the same one on lots of computers. or 1 per computer. also, xp is not transferable i hear, or at least 3-6 months. iunno... not confuzing at all.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

soccerdude90

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
OK, so the Microsoft Work Suite 2003 with word, is transferable? sweet, friend just got a dell with that cd in the box, although it was already installed on the computer. anothre friend has xp from when they bought there computer-in-a-box almost a year ago, so what YOU, BLAH are telling me, is that i can use these peoples disks and save 250$?

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
All attempts at humor aside ... did you read the information in the link I provided? Product activation only allows for two instances of a single program, based on the user license/product key to exist at one time. One for a desktop, and the other for a laptop.

It cannot be installed on multiple computers, unless you hack the software by using an illegal program to create a different, non-blacklisted product key and activate the software.

You can use your friend's disk to install the program, but you won't be able to activate it the "conventional" way, and so, after the program has been launched fifty times, you will not be able to edit documents or create new ones. Which means all you'll be able to do is read older documents ... nothing more. Which basically defeats the purpose of having the program in the first place. If that's all the functionality you need, an older Word Viewer can be downloaded from Microsoft for no cost.

Product Activation is present in the 2003 Works Suite, which contains Word 2002 (but not for the other programs in the Suite, strangely enough), as well as Office XP and Office 2003.

By the way, blah didn't say anything about Works Suite 2003 being transferable. He just said he wasn't confused by your question.

Note: Works Suite 2003 doesn't cost $250.00. You can buy Microsoft Works Suite 2002 and 2003 for about $50-$60.00 on average (depending on whether it's new or used ... untouched versions of 2003 are closer to $100.00), and the 2004 version for about $90.00. I've seen the latest version for about $65.00, if you purchase it used.

Office is a another story. Office 2000 Premium Edition still runs for about $380.00, Professional for $200.00, with Small Business Edition going for $150.00, and a single license for Office 2000 Pro is $155.00. Office XP Professional goes for $235.00 if it is OEM, and Office Pro 2003 can be anywhere from $160.00-$250.00, depending on where you shop.

Your prices and milage may vary, of course. But there's a list to work around in your budget.

Personally, I still use Office 2000 Professional, and see no compelling reason to upgrade. If you can find a friend with <i>that</i> disk ... you're in business, as this pre-dates any activation schemes.

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

soccerdude90

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Im in denial ok? lol, and that Works Suite = 100$ here, sry, i ment 250 for xp and work suite... and i might just have to stick with windows 98 and word 2000, meh, cuz im not dishing out money for something like that, its just a gaming rig web surfer, that'll do occasional essays and other gay assigned school work.

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
You might want to shell out the cash for Office just for the grammar/spell checking feature. It'd sure make your posts alot easier to decipher!

Ho ho! I'm an ass, I know.

soccerdude90

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
dude, im not trying, and im 14, and i've only been type-typing for a year, and when i go crazyly fast, theyre not well grammerified, ok? lol.... if i wanted to take time n try i would.... this post took only a second or 2... so bleh, .... keep on the subject, is it worth the extra 250 ona tight budget i'd dish out? thats like going radeon 9600xt to 9800 pro...

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes you can if they remove it from their PCs, otherwize it is not permitted under EULA. One Copee - One Usir.

It is like Soccer - Teams only play with One Ball at the same time, just one Playir can have the Ball, If there is anothir Ball, there is no game.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<""so what YOU, BLAH are telling <b>me</b>"">

If yo read carrefully, yo will see that <b>me</b> was not saying "YOU" can uze, but "<b>I</b>", there is a BIG deefferense between <b>US</b>. I have said not that any body can USE anything, but <b>I</b> can. Don't incriminate <b>ME</b>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
www.openoffice.org would do just fine for you, and it is free, and it is transferrable to any number of PCz, and it is just as fine as MS stuff, and it is only 150 megs big on install, and... you'll figure out the rest.

TRENDING THREADS