Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Let's exchange gameroom tips

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 4:34:18 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Share everything about your gameroom here, anything that makes it
special. Suggestions, tips, etc., Here's mine (suggestions or things I
have done):

Get some 8 FT or 10 FT office tables from office depot.. these are
awesome to hold multiple television sets and computers.

Put a system multi switcher on each TV with AV jacks.

Get some cheap stackable plastic shelves from Walmart to hold systems
on that are connected to the switch box. That way you won't have
systems on the table obstructing the TV's, or on the floor. The cords
will also be more out of the way.

Get lots of big tall bookshelves and line the walls with them.

When I originally began designing the basement, I put in lots of plush
furniture for the ultimate in luxury. But when I got my Tekken 5 deluxe
joystick setup, it became apparant that it would be easier to play
this, and many other fighting games standing up, so I took two oak
bookshelves and placed them back to back, and put the 20" TV on top,
and some plastic shelving to hold the joystick (taking the top teir
off, it's just the right level!) - So... I keep the systems hooked to
the switcher on these back to back shelves, and on the plastic shelves
that holds the joystick, I keep other joysticks that I also use... I
have THREE Neo Geo systems hooked up to this setup as well (one for
AES, one for MVS, and one CD), so I keep the joystics on the plastic
shelfs, if that makes any sense.

Walmart has 20" color TV's for around $90. They only have one audio
input jack, so I use a 2-to-1 plug to take the two channels of audio
and channel them into the one input. I have three of these TV's so far
and they are very nice.

Keep a bookshelf dedicated to video game stuff. On mine, I have the
entire run of Electronic Games, lots of EGM, etc., as well as lots of
vintage books.

I got a multi game foosball table from Sears. Don't use it much but
damn it sure looks good.

More about : exchange gameroom tips

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 10:31:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

> Walmart has 20" color TV's for around $90. They only have one audio
> input jack, so I use a 2-to-1 plug to take the two channels of audio
> and channel them into the one input. I have three of these TV's so
far
> and they are very nice.

You know, that's a total waste of time. The TV is mono, no adaptor is
going to magically change that. Unless that adaptor includes an extra
speaker. You'd be better off just plugging in the white cable.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 10:54:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Jack (www.villagebbs.com) wrote:
>> Walmart has 20" color TV's for around $90. They only have one
>> audio input jack, so I use a 2-to-1 plug to take the two
>> channels of audio and channel them into the one input. I have
>> three of these TV's so far and they are very nice.
>
> You know, that's a total waste of time. The TV is mono, no
> adaptor is going to magically change that. Unless that adaptor
> includes an extra speaker. You'd be better off just plugging in
> the white cable.

This is assuming the game/system in question has audio settings
that can be changed to mono.

--crymad
Related resources
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 11:39:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

> This is assuming the game/system in question has audio settings
> that can be changed to mono.
>
> --crymad

Most of them do. Either way forcing both into the mono input isn't
going to give you stereo, its probably just going to sound bad.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 12:11:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Jack (www.villagebbs.com) wrote:
>> This is assuming the game/system in question has audio
>> settings that can be changed to mono.
>>
>> --crymad
>
>
> Most of them do. Either way forcing both into the mono input
> isn't going to give you stereo, its probably just going to
> sound bad.

Well, I just tried out a few on Xbox -- D&D Heroes, Doom3, and
Serious Sam. None have options for mono audio. And try as I
might, I couldn't find system settings in the Xbox itself that
defaults all audio to mono. Having only one channel hooked into
the TV's audio inputs will result in a loss of half the audio
signal. Playing Serious Sam with just the right channel attached,
enemies attacking from the left side were quite muffled and hard
to detect. Combining both channels with a Y-adapter as Space Boss
suggests would at least preserve the complete audio signal in a mono
output.

--crymad
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 12:28:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

> Well, I just tried out a few on Xbox -- D&D Heroes, Doom3, and
> Serious Sam. None have options for mono audio. And try as I
> might, I couldn't find system settings in the Xbox itself that
> defaults all audio to mono. Having only one channel hooked into
> the TV's audio inputs will result in a loss of half the audio
> signal. Playing Serious Sam with just the right channel attached,
> enemies attacking from the left side were quite muffled and hard
> to detect. Combining both channels with a Y-adapter as Space Boss
> suggests would at least preserve the complete audio signal in a mono
> output.

I can't imagine it's going to sound very good.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 1:32:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

> Regarding mono tvs & spliters, I tend to agree if you've got a system

> shooting out stereo, you need to input both sides, regardless of
whether
> the tv has two speakers or not. If you cannot change settings to
mono
> on the system, then you may be loosing something in sound that's only

> output on one side. Some of your older games on systems that used
stereo
> might have only had spoken audio coming out of one side, which could
be
> lost if not hooked up.

I guess it's all a matter of personal preference. Normally if it's a
mono signal, I'll keep it mono because blurring them together
(especially on what's probably a very cheap speaker) doesn't sound all
that great. Most of your (older anyway) systems that support stereo
have a mono option, or automatically assume that some people will be
going white plug only.

Of course newer systems may assume you have some sort of a stereo
setup, but are still very playable in mono. On those though, you
probably want to make the effort to have a stereo in the room to get
the full enjoyment, especially CD/DVD games with heavy soundtracks,
etc. Go get a cheap boombox with an AUX input or get an old
amp/reciever, etc.

But its all preference I'd imagine.

= numsix
= http://www.villagebbs.com
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 4:07:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

The Space Boss wrote:

>
> Get lots of big tall bookshelves and line the walls with them.
>


I think custom bookcases work better if you collect for a specific
system. Most of the bookcases I've seen tend to be around 6' tall & have
only 5 actual shelves. So the spacing is too far apart & somewhat
wasted. I guess it depends on how you want to stack. Loose carts could
go up high, or flat stack boxes, but I'd prefer bookcased standing up
with maybe an inch at most of spacing before the next shelf. If you
design your shelves for a specific library of games you can better
maximise your space.

I currently only have these prefabed bookcases now, one was free the
other was $35 at a thrift, but they definitely beat nothing. ;-)

http://tinyurl.com/byuuw




Regarding mono tvs & spliters, I tend to agree if you've got a system
shooting out stereo, you need to input both sides, regardless of whether
the tv has two speakers or not. If you cannot change settings to mono
on the system, then you may be loosing something in sound that's only
output on one side. Some of your older games on systems that used stereo
might have only had spoken audio coming out of one side, which could be
lost if not hooked up.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 5:11:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Jack (www.villagebbs.com) wrote:
> > Well, I just tried out a few on Xbox -- D&D Heroes, Doom3, and
> > Serious Sam. None have options for mono audio. And try as I
> > might, I couldn't find system settings in the Xbox itself that
> > defaults all audio to mono. Having only one channel hooked into
> > the TV's audio inputs will result in a loss of half the audio
> > signal. Playing Serious Sam with just the right channel attached,
> > enemies attacking from the left side were quite muffled and hard
> > to detect. Combining both channels with a Y-adapter as Space Boss
> > suggests would at least preserve the complete audio signal in a
mono
> > output.
>
> I can't imagine it's going to sound very good.

Not that you're going to give a rats ass what I or anybody else has to
say, but I'm going to point out to you that you are not coming from a
position OF EXPERIENCE. "I can't imagine this, or I can't imagine
that", you have said this TWICE so far, and neither time were you
coming from a position of experience. Imagining somthing is NOT "the
experience". When a friend tells you that a certain movie "was not so
good", we tend to accept that as "our experience", when in reality it
is no such thing, not even close. That's why movie reviews are stupid
and useless if read before the film. Try reading reviews AFTER you've
seen a film to really find out what's really going on, what's REALLY
so. If you read a review before watching the movie or seeing the CD,
you'll be comparing YOUR experience to that review the whole time to
see how it stacks up, and in some cases conforming your experience to
that of "the authority".

That said, IT COULD BE your experience that connecting two stereo
outputs into one audio jack may not sound good...we just don't know
that yet. I know that it is *my* experience that it sounds just peachy
- it's good enough for me.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 5:23:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Jack (www.villagebbs.com) wrote:
On those though, you
> probably want to make the effort to have a stereo in the room to get
> the full enjoyment, especially CD/DVD games with heavy soundtracks,
> etc. Go get a cheap boombox with an AUX input or get an old
> amp/reciever, etc.
>
> But its all preference I'd imagine.

Jack, this is probably the BEST tip that has been posted here in a long
while, and something I have personally never even thought of. Well
done! I'm definitely going to keep on the lookout at the thrifts for a
cheap stereo with an AUX for this purpose...
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 12:36:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

I wish I could "experience" you shutting the hell up. Bwhahahahahah!!!

(I feel like playing the part of the troll today... don't know why...)



--
___
Chuck Whitby - Founder
East Coast Gaming Expo
http://www.ecgx.com
"It's the games"
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 2:06:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

mvs dude <mvs-dude@cox.net> wrote in news:xbLge.41305$gc6.33134@okepread04:

> I think custom bookcases work better if you collect for a specific
> system. Most of the bookcases I've seen tend to be around 6' tall & have
> only 5 actual shelves. So the spacing is too far apart & somewhat
> wasted. I guess it depends on how you want to stack. Loose carts could
> go up high, or flat stack boxes, but I'd prefer bookcased standing up
> with maybe an inch at most of spacing before the next shelf. If you
> design your shelves for a specific library of games you can better
> maximise your space.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/byuuw

Great setup. I like everything except the large amounts of natural light.
:->

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 4:10:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Bad Chuck bad! No taco kisses for you!

Mojo

"Chuck Whitby" <intvsama@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:Xns9654A9007ACintvsamaverizonnet@199.45.49.11...
>I wish I could "experience" you shutting the hell up. Bwhahahahahah!!!
>
> (I feel like playing the part of the troll today... don't know why...)
>
>
>
> --
> ___
> Chuck Whitby - Founder
> East Coast Gaming Expo
> http://www.ecgx.com
> "It's the games"
>
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 11:03:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

> That said, IT COULD BE your experience that connecting two stereo
> outputs into one audio jack may not sound good...we just don't know
> that yet. I know that it is *my* experience that it sounds just
peachy
> - it's good enough for me.

I wonder if your experiences could work as an arcade game? I mean,
totally as is? What does everyone else think?
May 13, 2005 1:27:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

"mvs dude" <mvs-dude@cox.net> wrote in message
news:xbLge.41305$gc6.33134@okepread04...
> The Space Boss wrote:
>
>>
>> Get lots of big tall bookshelves and line the walls with them.
>>
>
>
> I think custom bookcases work better if you collect for a specific system.
> Most of the bookcases I've seen tend to be around 6' tall & have only 5
> actual shelves. So the spacing is too far apart & somewhat wasted. I guess
> it depends on how you want to stack. Loose carts could go up high, or flat
> stack boxes, but I'd prefer bookcased standing up with maybe an inch at
> most of spacing before the next shelf. If you design your shelves for a
> specific library of games you can better maximise your space.
>
> I currently only have these prefabed bookcases now, one was free the
> other was $35 at a thrift, but they definitely beat nothing. ;-)
>
> http://tinyurl.com/byuuw

I got built in shelves that are adjustable...

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~lavalyte/games/lounge/IMG...

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~lavalyte/
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 3:41:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Jack (www.villagebbs.com) wrote:


> I wonder if your experiences could work as an arcade game? I mean,
> totally as is? What does everyone else think?

You're pushing your luck, little man..
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 6:08:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

The Space Boss wrote:
> Jack (www.villagebbs.com) wrote:
>
>
> > I wonder if your experiences could work as an arcade game? I mean,
> > totally as is? What does everyone else think?
>
> You're pushing your luck, little man..

Hey! I think the Atari Lynx may in some ways be better than the PSP?
Any ideas?

Hey! How about this rock I found? Maybe, a game system based on rocks
would work?

Hey! So I found an atari game the other day at the thrift store, I had
50 copies of it, but I bought another one, I think it's EMPIRE STRIKES
BACK, do you think the Atari 2600 would work on the moon?

Hey! What's your favorite game that uses two buttons? Mine is Megaman.

Hey!
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 7:10:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

The Space Boss <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote:
> Jack (www.villagebbs.com) wrote:
> On those though, you
> > probably want to make the effort to have a stereo in the room to get
> > the full enjoyment, especially CD/DVD games with heavy soundtracks,
> > etc. Go get a cheap boombox with an AUX input or get an old
> > amp/reciever, etc.
> >
> > But its all preference I'd imagine.
>
> Jack, this is probably the BEST tip that has been posted here in a long
> while, and something I have personally never even thought of. Well
> done! I'm definitely going to keep on the lookout at the thrifts for a
> cheap stereo with an AUX for this purpose...

Another option is a pair of computer speakers. You would have to make a run
to Radio Shack to buy an adapter (depending on the input on the speakers).
This would allow you to have stereo on each TV without taking up a bunch of
room.

(Yes, I am behind in my usenet reading! :-)

--
Ryan 'Gozar' Collins
!