Inspiron 9300 First impressions

Just got it this evening. So far, I like it a lot. These are just random
observations after a few hours. Mine was purchased through the Outlet.

- It came with an OS DVD. Media Center 2005 comes on DVD, not CD
- It came with reinstallation CDs for the key installed applications
- It did not come with a resource CD

- This think is huge. I'm coming from a 3 pound, 12 inch screen, IBM
Thinkpad X40. The 9300 would be a challenge to cart around the country, but
as a desktop replacement it is awesome.

- Videos on this thing are simply stunning.

- Keyboard is ok, but will take some getting used too, as the wrist rest is
pretty big. It is too loud (and the mouse buttons are way too loud). The X40
is silent.

- Too many installed applications. Just uninstalled them.

- Sound quality is better than expected.

1440x900 is a nice compromise.

That's all for now.

Toms\
12 answers Last reply
More about inspiron 9300 impressions

    Cool! Mine should be arriving tomorrow or the next day, I just checked my
    order status and the UPS shipping data. I used a special coupon to purchase
    mine, all offered only online. I paid $942 for it, shipping free. I'm
    looking forward to getting it and your remarks only serve to convince me
    that I got a great deal on an awesome machine. I can't wait to go down to
    my local Starbucks and watch the jaws drop on the huddled masses of yuppies
    with their PDA's, bluetooth cell phones and tiny little HP or Gateway
    laptops conspicuously displayed on the tables.

    I gauge the possible number of yuppies in the store by the numbers of Subaru
    Foresters, Saab sedans, BMW's and Ford Excursions parked in the lot. Saw no
    less than 7 BMW's and 5 Excursions last Saturday. It was total yuppie mania
    inside.

    > Just got it this evening. So far, I like it a lot. These are just random
    > observations after a few hours. Mine was purchased through the Outlet.
    >
    > - It came with an OS DVD. Media Center 2005 comes on DVD, not CD
    > - It came with reinstallation CDs for the key installed applications
    > - It did not come with a resource CD
    >
    > - This think is huge. I'm coming from a 3 pound, 12 inch screen, IBM
    > Thinkpad X40. The 9300 would be a challenge to cart around the country,
    but
    > as a desktop replacement it is awesome.
    >
    > - Videos on this thing are simply stunning.
    >
    > - Keyboard is ok, but will take some getting used too, as the wrist rest
    is
    > pretty big. It is too loud (and the mouse buttons are way too loud). The
    X40
    > is silent.
    >
    > - Too many installed applications. Just uninstalled them.
    >
    > - Sound quality is better than expected.
    >
    > 1440x900 is a nice compromise.
    >
    > That's all for now.
    >
    > Toms\

    I'll have to stop by Starbucks and bring both the 9300 and my tiny little
    Thinkpad X40 (under 3 pounds). Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum.

    Oh, wait. I drive a, cough, cough BMW. Well, maybe it's balanced out by my
    also driving a Volvo station wagon.

    Tom

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 02:47:47 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    wrote:

    >I'll have to stop by Starbucks and bring both the 9300 and my tiny little
    >Thinkpad X40 (under 3 pounds). Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum.
    >
    >Oh, wait. I drive a, cough, cough BMW. Well, maybe it's balanced out by my
    >also driving a Volvo station wagon.
    >
    >Tom

    Personally, I'd rather have the desktop and a lighter laptop. But if
    I didn't have the money for both, than I'd go for the 9300 as the
    alternative.

    OT a bit, I laugh at people who judge one by their dress or car.

    Anyway, thanks for the first impression and enjoy your 9300.

    Tom Scales wrote:

    > Just got it this evening. So far, I like it a lot. These are just random
    > observations after a few hours. Mine was purchased through the Outlet.
    >
    > - It came with an OS DVD. Media Center 2005 comes on DVD, not CD
    > - It came with reinstallation CDs for the key installed applications
    > - It did not come with a resource CD
    >
    > - This think is huge. I'm coming from a 3 pound, 12 inch screen, IBM
    > Thinkpad X40. The 9300 would be a challenge to cart around the country, but
    > as a desktop replacement it is awesome.
    >
    > - Videos on this thing are simply stunning.
    >
    > - Keyboard is ok, but will take some getting used too, as the wrist rest is
    > pretty big. It is too loud (and the mouse buttons are way too loud). The X40
    > is silent.
    >
    > - Too many installed applications. Just uninstalled them.
    >
    > - Sound quality is better than expected.
    >
    > 1440x900 is a nice compromise.
    >
    > That's all for now.
    >
    > Toms\

    First off, I must say the IBM X series is great (as well as the T
    series), but I'm curious what drove you to go with the 9300? My
    roommate has the previous generation, and I don't beleive I've ever seen
    it leave the house which makes me wonder why he bothered with a
    "laptop". On a related note, how hot does it get? My roommate's is a
    P4-M, and I'm pretty sure it would cause sterility if left on a lap for
    over a couple minutes (I'm sure your P-M is much cooler, but still...).
    I don't mean to come across as disrespectful in this post, but I'm
    genuinely curious why people go for such large machines when you can get
    a faster desktop with a nice, higher resolution monitor for much less.

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 01:47:39 -0500, Rob wrote:

    >On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 02:47:47 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I'll have to stop by Starbucks and bring both the 9300 and my tiny little
    >>Thinkpad X40 (under 3 pounds). Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum.
    >>
    >>Oh, wait. I drive a, cough, cough BMW. Well, maybe it's balanced out by my
    >>also driving a Volvo station wagon.
    >>
    >>Tom
    >

    >Personally, I'd rather have the desktop and a lighter laptop. But if
    >I didn't have the money for both, than I'd go for the 9300 as the
    >alternative.
    >
    >OT a bit, I laugh at people who judge one by their dress or car.
    >
    >Anyway, thanks for the first impression and enjoy your 9300.

    I might add that if I had the desktop / laptop combo, I'd have to have
    a wireless network to be satisfied.

    "Nicholas Andrade" <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > First off, I must say the IBM X series is great (as well as the T series),
    > but I'm curious what drove you to go with the 9300? My roommate has the
    > previous generation, and I don't beleive I've ever seen it leave the house
    > which makes me wonder why he bothered with a "laptop". On a related note,
    > how hot does it get? My roommate's is a P4-M, and I'm pretty sure it
    > would cause sterility if left on a lap for over a couple minutes (I'm sure
    > your P-M is much cooler, but still...). I don't mean to come across as
    > disrespectful in this post, but I'm genuinely curious why people go for
    > such large machines when you can get a faster desktop with a nice, higher
    > resolution monitor for much less.

    Because my desktop isn't in the family room in front of the TV.

    Seriously.

    I don't want to hide in my home office all the time. I can have everything
    on my lap!

    and it really doesn't get that hot. Surprisingly cool.

    Tom

    <Rob> wrote in message news:hl40b1hae9v7gfpkmnb1gb87m05uhl6iha@4ax.com...
    > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 01:47:39 -0500, Rob wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 02:47:47 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'll have to stop by Starbucks and bring both the 9300 and my tiny little
    >>>Thinkpad X40 (under 3 pounds). Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum.
    >>>
    >>>Oh, wait. I drive a, cough, cough BMW. Well, maybe it's balanced out by
    >>>my
    >>>also driving a Volvo station wagon.
    >>>
    >>>Tom
    >>

    >>Personally, I'd rather have the desktop and a lighter laptop. But if
    >>I didn't have the money for both, than I'd go for the 9300 as the
    >>alternative.
    >>
    >>OT a bit, I laugh at people who judge one by their dress or car.
    >>
    >>Anyway, thanks for the first impression and enjoy your 9300.
    >

    > I might add that if I had the desktop / laptop combo, I'd have to have
    > a wireless network to be satisfied.

    Well, of course! I have both wireless in my house and the new Verizon
    wireless broadband that is incredibly cool. DSL speeds anywhere in most
    major cities.

    Tom

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:32:38 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    wrote:

    ><Rob> wrote in message news:hl40b1hae9v7gfpkmnb1gb87m05uhl6iha@4ax.com...
    >> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 01:47:39 -0500, Rob wrote:

    >>>Personally, I'd rather have the desktop and a lighter laptop. But if
    >>>I didn't have the money for both, than I'd go for the 9300 as the
    >>>alternative.
    >>>
    >>>OT a bit, I laugh at people who judge one by their dress or car.
    >>>
    >>>Anyway, thanks for the first impression and enjoy your 9300.
    >>

    >> I might add that if I had the desktop / laptop combo, I'd have to have
    >> a wireless network to be satisfied.
    >
    >Well, of course! I have both wireless in my house and the new Verizon
    >wireless broadband that is incredibly cool. DSL speeds anywhere in most
    >major cities.
    >
    >Tom

    sounds good. I have 2 laptops and 4 desktops on a wireless peer to
    peer network w/ a wireless router to a cable modem. It works for me /
    family nicely at home. Eventually I'd like to go down to 1 or 2
    desktops and perhaps increase the number of laptops (light weight) but
    we'll see as our needs change. Funny the last laptop I got, wife
    didn't really want me to buy it but after I did, she found it very
    useful especially during tax season so she seems happy now.

    Enjoy your 9300. Sounds like its built like a tank.

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 06:05:28 GMT, Nicholas Andrade
    <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

    >First off, I must say the IBM X series is great (as well as the T
    >series), but I'm curious what drove you to go with the 9300? My
    >roommate has the previous generation, and I don't beleive I've ever seen
    >it leave the house which makes me wonder why he bothered with a
    >"laptop". On a related note, how hot does it get? My roommate's is a
    >P4-M, and I'm pretty sure it would cause sterility if left on a lap for
    >over a couple minutes (I'm sure your P-M is much cooler, but still...).
    > I don't mean to come across as disrespectful in this post, but I'm
    >genuinely curious why people go for such large machines when you can get
    >a faster desktop with a nice, higher resolution monitor for much less.

    that's pretty easy to answer. while the 9300 certainly is nowhere as
    mobile as smaller notebooks, it's still way more mobile than a
    desktop. I can move it around the house, sitting on the balcony while
    typing, etc. Furthermore, my old desktop is loud, while the 9300 is
    almost silent.

    About the heat, it doesn't really get hot, but I guess the weight
    would be too much anyway if you wanted to leave it on your lap for a
    longer time

    Greets

    Markus

    I have seen acouple of these at a customers, after the size, the thing that
    struck me was the high gloss finish LCD, I`ve never seen that on a laptop
    before. The display was pin sharp and very bright, but I wonder if
    reflections are a pain?

    How do you get on with yours?

    For the record the owner of the one I saw loved the screen once he got used
    to it.

    Basill

    > Just got it this evening. So far, I like it a lot. These are just random
    > observations after a few hours. Mine was purchased through the Outlet.
    >
    > - It came with an OS DVD. Media Center 2005 comes on DVD, not CD
    > - It came with reinstallation CDs for the key installed applications
    > - It did not come with a resource CD
    >
    > - This think is huge. I'm coming from a 3 pound, 12 inch screen, IBM
    > Thinkpad X40. The 9300 would be a challenge to cart around the country,
    > but as a desktop replacement it is awesome.
    >
    > - Videos on this thing are simply stunning.
    >
    > - Keyboard is ok, but will take some getting used too, as the wrist rest
    > is pretty big. It is too loud (and the mouse buttons are way too loud).
    > The X40 is silent.
    >
    > - Too many installed applications. Just uninstalled them.
    >
    > - Sound quality is better than expected.
    >
    > 1440x900 is a nice compromise.
    >
    > That's all for now.
    >
    > Toms\

    I'm not seeing what you saw, but I have the 1440x800. His might have been
    the 1920 version.

    It's a beautiful display.

    Tom

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 02:10:30 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    wrote:

    >- This think is huge. I'm coming from a 3 pound, 12 inch screen, IBM
    >Thinkpad X40. The 9300 would be a challenge to cart around the country, but
    >as a desktop replacement it is awesome.

    You should try replacing the motherboard on one. First time took me 2
    1/2 hours, but now I'm down to 45 minutes on a good day. I need a
    mini-version of those Nascar things that take out and put back the lug
    nuts...43 screws on most Inspirons, I think over 60 on the 9xxx
    series. I could do a job in 20 minutes flat with one of those :)

    >- Keyboard is ok, but will take some getting used too, as the wrist rest is
    >pretty big. It is too loud (and the mouse buttons are way too loud). The X40
    >is silent.

    I got a super-easy call for a 9300 a couple weeks ago. Dell sends me
    the motherboard, says theres a "ticking sound" coming from the
    keyboard, and to replace the motherboard (Dell's only solution for
    laptops always seems to be either a heat sink or motherboard
    replacement).

    Anyway, the previous tech forgot to take the mobo out of
    "Manufacturing mode". This mode is used to test the equipment without
    actually plugging it into a system, monitor, etc. Dell in their
    infinite wisdom warns about Manuf. mode for about 2 seconds on
    start-up, then makes the keyboard click very loudly if Manufacturing
    Mode is not disabled (very annoying). A quick press of Function-X and
    an easy service call finished.

    Dan

Dell Inspiron Computers