Programme access & defaults problem

August 19, 2005 5:36:05 PM

Hi,
just installed XP on a new system I've built. Running fine, except a problem
message at startup -
"Either there is no default mail client, or the current mail client cannot
fulfill the messaging request. Please rub MS Outlook & set it as the default."
- except that Outlook Express is configured and working, along with IE
etc., all fine, appropriate programs selected in Internet options.
However, go to "Programme access & defaults", and "Microsoft Defaults" will
not stay selected, keeps reverting to "Custom / Other" mail & browser.
Hope someone can help (unable to use MS e-mail support as this is a
home-built "OEM" version. -
--
Martin
Anonymous

"Martin" <Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> just installed XP on a new system I've built. Running fine, except a
> problem
> message at startup -
> "Either there is no default mail client, or the current mail client cannot
> fulfill the messaging request. Please rub MS Outlook & set it as the
> default."
> - except that Outlook Express is configured and working, along with IE
> etc., all fine, appropriate programs selected in Internet options.
> However, go to "Programme access & defaults", and "Microsoft Defaults"
> will
> not stay selected, keeps reverting to "Custom / Other" mail & browser.
> Hope someone can help (unable to use MS e-mail support as this is a
> home-built "OEM" version. -
> --
> Martin

This may help you,

Send To Mail Recipient option does nothing
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sendtomail.htm

Run the following two command in the Run dialog box

MSIMN.EXE /REG
and
regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\msoe.dll"

[Courtesy of Ramesh Srinivasan, MVP]

--
William
August 20, 2005 1:11:02 PM

Thanks, I'll try that.
--
Martin

"WTC" wrote:

> "Martin" <Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > just installed XP on a new system I've built. Running fine, except a
> > problem
> > message at startup -
> > "Either there is no default mail client, or the current mail client cannot
> > fulfill the messaging request. Please rub MS Outlook & set it as the
> > default."
> > - except that Outlook Express is configured and working, along with IE
> > etc., all fine, appropriate programs selected in Internet options.
> > However, go to "Programme access & defaults", and "Microsoft Defaults"
> > will
> > not stay selected, keeps reverting to "Custom / Other" mail & browser.
> > Hope someone can help (unable to use MS e-mail support as this is a
> > home-built "OEM" version. -
> > --
> > Martin
>

> This may help you,
>
> Send To Mail Recipient option does nothing
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sendtomail.htm
>
> Run the following two command in the Run dialog box
>
> MSIMN.EXE /REG
> and
> regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\msoe.dll"
>
> [Courtesy of Ramesh Srinivasan, MVP]
>
> --
> William

Related resources
August 20, 2005 1:24:03 PM

No Luck, unfortunately.
--
Martin

"WTC" wrote:

> "Martin" <Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > just installed XP on a new system I've built. Running fine, except a
> > problem
> > message at startup -
> > "Either there is no default mail client, or the current mail client cannot
> > fulfill the messaging request. Please rub MS Outlook & set it as the
> > default."
> > - except that Outlook Express is configured and working, along with IE
> > etc., all fine, appropriate programs selected in Internet options.
> > However, go to "Programme access & defaults", and "Microsoft Defaults"
> > will
> > not stay selected, keeps reverting to "Custom / Other" mail & browser.
> > Hope someone can help (unable to use MS e-mail support as this is a
> > home-built "OEM" version. -
> > --
> > Martin
>

> This may help you,
>
> Send To Mail Recipient option does nothing
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sendtomail.htm
>
> Run the following two command in the Run dialog box
>
> MSIMN.EXE /REG
> and
> regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\msoe.dll"
>
> [Courtesy of Ramesh Srinivasan, MVP]
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 2:06:14 AM

Martin,

Try mailto:somename@som1111.com from Start, Run. Does Outlook Express open?
This is to test if the mailto: associations are fine.

Also, post the startup log here. Some startup application is probably
launching mailto: or initiating a MAPI call.

Type MSINFO32.EXE in Start, Run dialog
Click the (+) sign in Software Environment category
Select Startup Programs. System Information will now generate the list of
startup entries.
Once the right-pane is populated, click the File menu and choose Export
Type-in a file name (example: startuplog.txt) and choose a location to save
the file.
Close MSINFO32 utility.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP