Programme access & defaults problem

Hi,
just installed XP on a new system I've built. Running fine, except a problem
message at startup -
"Either there is no default mail client, or the current mail client cannot
fulfill the messaging request. Please rub MS Outlook & set it as the default."
- except that Outlook Express is configured and working, along with IE
etc., all fine, appropriate programs selected in Internet options.
However, go to "Programme access & defaults", and "Microsoft Defaults" will
not stay selected, keeps reverting to "Custom / Other" mail & browser.
Hope someone can help (unable to use MS e-mail support as this is a
home-built "OEM" version. -
--
Martin
4 answers Last reply

    "Martin" <Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > just installed XP on a new system I've built. Running fine, except a
    > problem
    > message at startup -
    > "Either there is no default mail client, or the current mail client cannot
    > fulfill the messaging request. Please rub MS Outlook & set it as the
    > default."
    > - except that Outlook Express is configured and working, along with IE
    > etc., all fine, appropriate programs selected in Internet options.
    > However, go to "Programme access & defaults", and "Microsoft Defaults"
    > will
    > not stay selected, keeps reverting to "Custom / Other" mail & browser.
    > Hope someone can help (unable to use MS e-mail support as this is a
    > home-built "OEM" version. -
    > --
    > Martin

    This may help you,

    Send To Mail Recipient option does nothing
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sendtomail.htm

    Run the following two command in the Run dialog box

    MSIMN.EXE /REG
    and
    regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\msoe.dll"

    [Courtesy of Ramesh Srinivasan, MVP]

    --
    William

    Thanks, I'll try that.
    --
    Martin

    "WTC" wrote:

    > "Martin" <Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > just installed XP on a new system I've built. Running fine, except a
    > > problem
    > > message at startup -
    > > "Either there is no default mail client, or the current mail client cannot
    > > fulfill the messaging request. Please rub MS Outlook & set it as the
    > > default."
    > > - except that Outlook Express is configured and working, along with IE
    > > etc., all fine, appropriate programs selected in Internet options.
    > > However, go to "Programme access & defaults", and "Microsoft Defaults"
    > > will
    > > not stay selected, keeps reverting to "Custom / Other" mail & browser.
    > > Hope someone can help (unable to use MS e-mail support as this is a
    > > home-built "OEM" version. -
    > > --
    > > Martin
    >

    > This may help you,
    >
    > Send To Mail Recipient option does nothing
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sendtomail.htm
    >
    > Run the following two command in the Run dialog box
    >
    > MSIMN.EXE /REG
    > and
    > regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\msoe.dll"
    >
    > [Courtesy of Ramesh Srinivasan, MVP]
    >
    > --
    > William

    No Luck, unfortunately.
    --
    Martin

    "WTC" wrote:

    > "Martin" <Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > just installed XP on a new system I've built. Running fine, except a
    > > problem
    > > message at startup -
    > > "Either there is no default mail client, or the current mail client cannot
    > > fulfill the messaging request. Please rub MS Outlook & set it as the
    > > default."
    > > - except that Outlook Express is configured and working, along with IE
    > > etc., all fine, appropriate programs selected in Internet options.
    > > However, go to "Programme access & defaults", and "Microsoft Defaults"
    > > will
    > > not stay selected, keeps reverting to "Custom / Other" mail & browser.
    > > Hope someone can help (unable to use MS e-mail support as this is a
    > > home-built "OEM" version. -
    > > --
    > > Martin
    >

    > This may help you,
    >
    > Send To Mail Recipient option does nothing
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sendtomail.htm
    >
    > Run the following two command in the Run dialog box
    >
    > MSIMN.EXE /REG
    > and
    > regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\msoe.dll"
    >
    > [Courtesy of Ramesh Srinivasan, MVP]
    >
    > --
    > William

    Martin,

    Try mailto:somename@som1111.com from Start, Run. Does Outlook Express open?
    This is to test if the mailto: associations are fine.

    Also, post the startup log here. Some startup application is probably
    launching mailto: or initiating a MAPI call.

    Type MSINFO32.EXE in Start, Run dialog
    Click the (+) sign in Software Environment category
    Select Startup Programs. System Information will now generate the list of
    startup entries.
    Once the right-pane is populated, click the File menu and choose Export
    Type-in a file name (example: startuplog.txt) and choose a location to save
    the file.
    Close MSINFO32 utility.

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP