Shamus (Synapse) on Win XP?

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
May 16, 2005 9:56:29 PM

Hi All:

I just downloaded the original version of Shamus by Synapse (Shamus.zip
- > Shamus.com, 32K). I used to play this religiously growing up.

However, 'shamus.com' does not run very well under WinXP. The keyboard
is not very responsive, for some reason, making your character run
smack into walls. Also, there is a video problem where, after going to
a new room, the video does not refresh until several seconds later. Not
being able to see for seconds after entering a new room can be
detrimental.

I've tried adjusting the keyboard repeat rates, running the application
with moslo, and also running the application on a DOS startup disk. No
luck.

Anyone have any luck running this game on a modern system, or have any
insight on what I should do?

Thanks for any help.

More about : shamus synapse win

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 5:40:03 AM

"No Such Luck" <no_suchluck@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Hi All:
>
> I just downloaded the original version of Shamus by Synapse (Shamus.zip
> - > Shamus.com, 32K). I used to play this religiously growing up.
>
> However, 'shamus.com' does not run very well under WinXP. The keyboard
> is not very responsive, for some reason, making your character run
> smack into walls. Also, there is a video problem where, after going to
> a new room, the video does not refresh until several seconds later. Not
> being able to see for seconds after entering a new room can be
> detrimental.
>
> I've tried adjusting the keyboard repeat rates, running the application
> with moslo, and also running the application on a DOS startup disk. No
> luck.
>
> Anyone have any luck running this game on a modern system, or have any
> insight on what I should do?
>
> Thanks for any help.

DOSbox

--
___
Chuck Whitby - Founder

> DOSbox

Thanks for the suggestion. Running shamus.com in this Dos emulator
fixed the video glitch. I am still experiencing problems with the
keyboard, though, making the game unplayable.
Related resources
May 17, 2005 3:46:40 PM

"Chuck Whitby" <intvsama@verizon.net> wrote in message
> "No Such Luck" <no_suchluck@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Hi All:
>>
>> I just downloaded the original version of Shamus by Synapse (Shamus.zip
>> - > Shamus.com, 32K). I used to play this religiously growing up.
>>
>> However, 'shamus.com' does not run very well under WinXP. The keyboard
>> is not very responsive, for some reason, making your character run
>> smack into walls. Also, there is a video problem where, after going to
>> a new room, the video does not refresh until several seconds later. Not
>> being able to see for seconds after entering a new room can be
>> detrimental.
>>
>> I've tried adjusting the keyboard repeat rates, running the application
>> with moslo, and also running the application on a DOS startup disk. No
>> luck.
>>
>> Anyone have any luck running this game on a modern system, or have any
>> insight on what I should do?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>

> DOSbox

Is this the C64 game?
January 30, 2011 8:21:22 AM

Buy a USB gamepad, download Atari Win 4.0 & the Shamus ROM. I have a ton of older Synapse games on there
!