TKDJJ

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2002
I am installing Windows XP home (OEM version-it is legit) on a friend's computer. I have the bios set to boot from the cdrom. Upon start up, the process begins but a few seconds into "looking at hardware" there is an error message:

unexpected Error # 536817728 line 1768 in d:\xpspl\base\boot\setup\arcdisp.c.

I tried doing a fdisk on the c drive, still the same problem. It's a newly constructed machine with a previously formatted HD. Asus A7N8X delux rev 2 MB. Barton 2500, 512 RAM (2 pcs), gigabite ATI Video card.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

John Jordan

pilgrim_uk

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2003
I know someone with the exact same problem and the cause of the problem was faulty memory. Just a suggestion but ther is no harm in trying just one of the sticks in the machine and trying to reinstall again.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
hmm... Didn't micrsoft stop doing oem CDs in favour of recovery CDs...?

<b><font color=red>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."</font color=red><font color=blue> - Benjamin Franklin</font color=blue></b>

TKDJJ

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2002
The computer was built from scratch. The OS is an OEM version (to be sold to computer mfg's)purchased from the parts supplier. Thanks again to all who replied!

John