Making USB 2 connection shuts down Windows

I guess the subject line tells the story pretty well. I just got a USB card
reader. I plugged it into the USB 2.0 port on my desktop PC and XP
recognized it and said it was ready, and then immediately went into a
"restart". After the restart it begins the boot, gets to some point, finds
the USB connection and begins to reboot again and again and again, and never
stops. Unplug the cord and all is well. Do the same thing on the adjacent
XP laptop and all is well. What can I look for to solve this problem? TIA,
Dick
2 answers Last reply
More about making connection shuts windows

    Hi Dick,

    You may want to check your BIOS for USB mouse support (and/or USB Keyboard
    support, if you have a USB keyboard!)
    Also, make sure that the port you are using can handle the current drain of
    the reader.
    I have two ports on my MSFT USB keyboard that "balk" if used by devices with
    a high current drain.

    Dave

    "Dick" <roving@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > I guess the subject line tells the story pretty well. I just got a USB
    card
    > reader. I plugged it into the USB 2.0 port on my desktop PC and XP
    > recognized it and said it was ready, and then immediately went into a
    > "restart". After the restart it begins the boot, gets to some point,
    finds
    > the USB connection and begins to reboot again and again and again, and
    never
    > stops. Unplug the cord and all is well. Do the same thing on the
    adjacent
    > XP laptop and all is well. What can I look for to solve this problem?
    TIA,
    > Dick

    Thanks Dave for the suggestion. I did the Bios and enabled the Keyboard,
    but found nothing for the mouse. I rebooted and plugged in the USB to the
    card reader and that triggered a reboot. It also fails if the card is
    plugged in prior to reboot. Yuk. Still trying. Dick

    "DSL-Dave" <dminott@yourshortsDomino-Biz.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Dick,
    >
    > You may want to check your BIOS for USB mouse support (and/or USB Keyboard
    > support, if you have a USB keyboard!)
    > Also, make sure that the port you are using can handle the current drain
    > of
    > the reader.
    > I have two ports on my MSFT USB keyboard that "balk" if used by devices
    > with
    > a high current drain.
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "Dick" <roving@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >> I guess the subject line tells the story pretty well. I just got a USB
    > card
    >> reader. I plugged it into the USB 2.0 port on my desktop PC and XP
    >> recognized it and said it was ready, and then immediately went into a
    >> "restart". After the restart it begins the boot, gets to some point,
    > finds
    >> the USB connection and begins to reboot again and again and again, and
    > never
    >> stops. Unplug the cord and all is well. Do the same thing on the
    > adjacent
    >> XP laptop and all is well. What can I look for to solve this problem?
    > TIA,
    >> Dick

Connection USB Windows XP