  • Backup
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 19, 2005 9:07:01 PM

When trying to restore files from a recent backup I get a message "An
inconsistency was encountered in the requested backup file" and none of the
files are restored. Is there a way to recover the files?

More about : failure restore backup

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 10:15:01 PM

Where is the backup file stored on? You may have a bad media. If the data
is valuable you can send it offsite for media recovery.

"Don A" wrote:

> When trying to restore files from a recent backup I get a message "An
> inconsistency was encountered in the requested backup file" and none of the
> files are restored. Is there a way to recover the files?
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 10:27:02 PM

The backup file is on an external FireWire hard drive. Some of the files
from the backup did restore successfully, but many others give me the
"inconsistency" message.

"Mike Chung" wrote:

> Where is the backup file stored on? You may have a bad media. If the data
> is valuable you can send it offsite for media recovery.
>
> "Don A" wrote:
>
> > When trying to restore files from a recent backup I get a message "An
> > inconsistency was encountered in the requested backup file" and none of the
> > files are restored. Is there a way to recover the files?
August 19, 2005 10:34:01 PM

It sounds like physical hard drive problem on your firewire HD. Try
contacting the vendor for possible solutions. You may also want to update
the firmware on the firewire. But past situations dictates a bad HD. Sorry!

"Don A" wrote:

> The backup file is on an external FireWire hard drive. Some of the files
> from the backup did restore successfully, but many others give me the
> "inconsistency" message.
>
> "Mike Chung" wrote:
>
> > Where is the backup file stored on? You may have a bad media. If the data
> > is valuable you can send it offsite for media recovery.
> >
> > "Don A" wrote:
> >
> > > When trying to restore files from a recent backup I get a message "An
> > > inconsistency was encountered in the requested backup file" and none of the
> > > files are restored. Is there a way to recover the files?
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:21:03 PM

Mike

Thanks for your time - but I think the issue isn't with my external hard
drive. I was able to restore some files from that drive, but not others (the
"inconsistency" message). I copied the .bkf file from the external drive to
another drive and got the same problem - "inconsistency" on some, but not all
files.

I don't know what "inconsistency" means, but I fear that the .bkf is
corrupt. Actually, 2 different .bkf files since I always keep 2 - a lot of
good my careful/regular backup policy did for me! Maybe Microsoft Backup is
my problem?

Thanks

"Mike Chung" wrote:

> It sounds like physical hard drive problem on your firewire HD. Try
> contacting the vendor for possible solutions. You may also want to update
> the firmware on the firewire. But past situations dictates a bad HD. Sorry!
>
> "Don A" wrote:
>
> > The backup file is on an external FireWire hard drive. Some of the files
> > from the backup did restore successfully, but many others give me the
> > "inconsistency" message.
> >
> > "Mike Chung" wrote:
> >
> > > Where is the backup file stored on? You may have a bad media. If the data
> > > is valuable you can send it offsite for media recovery.

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 4:07:06 PM

Don,

If you think your bdf file is bad. It may be related to the files that is
backed up. "inconsistency" tends to mean that the backup utility is checking
to make sure that the bits and bytes are correct. Try backing up portions of
the hard disk to eliminate the source of the bad file or sector.

"Don A" wrote:

> Mike
>
> Thanks for your time - but I think the issue isn't with my external hard
> drive. I was able to restore some files from that drive, but not others (the
> "inconsistency" message). I copied the .bkf file from the external drive to
> another drive and got the same problem - "inconsistency" on some, but not all
> files.
>
> I don't know what "inconsistency" means, but I fear that the .bkf is
> corrupt. Actually, 2 different .bkf files since I always keep 2 - a lot of
> good my careful/regular backup policy did for me! Maybe Microsoft Backup is
> my problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Mike Chung" wrote:
>
> > It sounds like physical hard drive problem on your firewire HD. Try
> > contacting the vendor for possible solutions. You may also want to update
> > the firmware on the firewire. But past situations dictates a bad HD. Sorry!
> >
> > "Don A" wrote:
> >
> > > The backup file is on an external FireWire hard drive. Some of the files
> > > from the backup did restore successfully, but many others give me the

February 4, 2013 9:34:08 AM

If you got an error message ” An inconsistency was encountered in the requested backup file” while restoring files from a recent backup.Then don’t panic, you should use BKF repair software from http://www.repairtool.systoolsbkfrepair.com/
!