Failure trying to restore from backup

When trying to restore files from a recent backup I get a message "An
inconsistency was encountered in the requested backup file" and none of the
files are restored. Is there a way to recover the files?
6 answers Last reply
More about failure restore backup

    Where is the backup file stored on? You may have a bad media. If the data
    is valuable you can send it offsite for media recovery.

    "Don A" wrote:

    > When trying to restore files from a recent backup I get a message "An
    > inconsistency was encountered in the requested backup file" and none of the
    > files are restored. Is there a way to recover the files?

    The backup file is on an external FireWire hard drive. Some of the files
    from the backup did restore successfully, but many others give me the
    "inconsistency" message.

    "Mike Chung" wrote:

    > Where is the backup file stored on? You may have a bad media. If the data
    > is valuable you can send it offsite for media recovery.
    >
    > "Don A" wrote:
    >
    > > When trying to restore files from a recent backup I get a message "An
    > > inconsistency was encountered in the requested backup file" and none of the
    > > files are restored. Is there a way to recover the files?

    It sounds like physical hard drive problem on your firewire HD. Try
    contacting the vendor for possible solutions. You may also want to update
    the firmware on the firewire. But past situations dictates a bad HD. Sorry!

    "Don A" wrote:

    > The backup file is on an external FireWire hard drive. Some of the files
    > from the backup did restore successfully, but many others give me the
    > "inconsistency" message.
    >
    > "Mike Chung" wrote:
    >
    > > Where is the backup file stored on? You may have a bad media. If the data
    > > is valuable you can send it offsite for media recovery.
    > >
    > > "Don A" wrote:
    > >
    > > > When trying to restore files from a recent backup I get a message "An
    > > > inconsistency was encountered in the requested backup file" and none of the
    > > > files are restored. Is there a way to recover the files?

    Mike

    Thanks for your time - but I think the issue isn't with my external hard
    drive. I was able to restore some files from that drive, but not others (the
    "inconsistency" message). I copied the .bkf file from the external drive to
    another drive and got the same problem - "inconsistency" on some, but not all
    files.

    I don't know what "inconsistency" means, but I fear that the .bkf is
    corrupt. Actually, 2 different .bkf files since I always keep 2 - a lot of
    good my careful/regular backup policy did for me! Maybe Microsoft Backup is
    my problem?

    Thanks

    "Mike Chung" wrote:

    > It sounds like physical hard drive problem on your firewire HD. Try
    > contacting the vendor for possible solutions. You may also want to update
    > the firmware on the firewire. But past situations dictates a bad HD. Sorry!
    >
    > "Don A" wrote:
    >
    > > The backup file is on an external FireWire hard drive. Some of the files
    > > from the backup did restore successfully, but many others give me the
    > > "inconsistency" message.
    > >
    > > "Mike Chung" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Where is the backup file stored on? You may have a bad media. If the data
    > > > is valuable you can send it offsite for media recovery.

    Don,

    If you think your bdf file is bad. It may be related to the files that is
    backed up. "inconsistency" tends to mean that the backup utility is checking
    to make sure that the bits and bytes are correct. Try backing up portions of
    the hard disk to eliminate the source of the bad file or sector.

    "Don A" wrote:

    > Mike
    >
    > Thanks for your time - but I think the issue isn't with my external hard
    > drive. I was able to restore some files from that drive, but not others (the
    > "inconsistency" message). I copied the .bkf file from the external drive to
    > another drive and got the same problem - "inconsistency" on some, but not all
    > files.
    >
    > I don't know what "inconsistency" means, but I fear that the .bkf is
    > corrupt. Actually, 2 different .bkf files since I always keep 2 - a lot of
    > good my careful/regular backup policy did for me! Maybe Microsoft Backup is
    > my problem?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Mike Chung" wrote:
    >
    > > It sounds like physical hard drive problem on your firewire HD. Try
    > > contacting the vendor for possible solutions. You may also want to update
    > > the firmware on the firewire. But past situations dictates a bad HD. Sorry!
    > >
    > > "Don A" wrote:
    > >
    > > > The backup file is on an external FireWire hard drive. Some of the files
    > > > from the backup did restore successfully, but many others give me the

  6. If you got an error message ” An inconsistency was encountered in the requested backup file” while restoring files from a recent backup.Then don’t panic, you should use BKF repair software from http://www.repairtool.systoolsbkfrepair.com/

Support Backup Microsoft Windows XP