"Compaq_Owner"

August 19, 2005 9:46:29 PM

Under Documents and Settings there are 4 folders. All Users, Default
User, Compaq_Owner and one other. Is there a non-destructive way to
change "Compaq_Owner" to be my name, as in the one I log into my
computer with?

More about : compaq owner

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 1:08:27 AM

Create a new user profile, then delete the other user account after
transferring the old account's information to your new account.

How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&Product=winxp

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile

Also see:

Change the Computer's Registered Owner in Windows XP
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_change_owner.htm

Microsoft Registration: Start > Run and type: REGWIZ /R ,
and hit enter.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"printdude" wrote:

| Under Documents and Settings there are 4 folders. All Users, Default
| User, Compaq_Owner and one other. Is there a non-destructive way to
| change "Compaq_Owner" to be my name, as in the one I log into my
| computer with?
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:09:15 PM

"Compaq_Owner" might be the in-built Administrator account. It's better to
password protect it and then use an alternate user account (Admin privileges
if needed).

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

<printdude1968@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Under Documents and Settings there are 4 folders. All Users, Default
> User, Compaq_Owner and one other. Is there a non-destructive way to
> change "Compaq_Owner" to be my name, as in the one I log into my
> computer with?

August 20, 2005 8:58:48 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right solution. When I log on to the
computer, I sign on and there I am. If I check the Users under control
panel, I'm there along with guest and one other. The compaq_owner
account must have been created when I started this beast up for the
first time. It's not hurting anything but it would be nice to have it
associated with me. I already have an account on this computer but
there is no folder in Documents And Settings, probably because I told
the config that I am the owner. Will it hurt if I just change the name
of the Compaq_Owner folder to be my name?
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 12:13:08 AM

You will only confuse the machine more.
Make sure your account is a full administrator account and then take
ownership of the "compaq_owner" files and folders. Then delete the
compaq_owner user.

> I'm not sure if this is the right solution. When I log on to the
> computer, I sign on and there I am. If I check the Users under control
> panel, I'm there along with guest and one other. The compaq_owner
> account must have been created when I started this beast up for the
> first time. It's not hurting anything but it would be nice to have it
> associated with me. I already have an account on this computer but
> there is no folder in Documents And Settings, probably because I told
> the config that I am the owner. Will it hurt if I just change the name
> of the Compaq_Owner folder to be my name?

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 5:02:30 PM

How do you "take ownership" of the files and folders?

"Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> You will only confuse the machine more.
> Make sure your account is a full administrator account and then take
> ownership of the "compaq_owner" files and folders. Then delete the
> compaq_owner user.
>
> <printdude1968@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm not sure if this is the right solution. When I log on to the
>> computer, I sign on and there I am. If I check the Users under control
>> panel, I'm there along with guest and one other. The compaq_owner
>> account must have been created when I started this beast up for the
>> first time. It's not hurting anything but it would be nice to have it
>> associated with me. I already have an account on this computer but
>> there is no folder in Documents And Settings, probably because I told
>> the config that I am the owner. Will it hurt if I just change the name
>> of the Compaq_Owner folder to be my name?

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 5:02:31 PM

See
http://snipurl.com/h3zn

"The Print Guy" <printdude1968@gmail.com> wrote in message
> How do you "take ownership" of the files and folders?
>
> "Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
>> You will only confuse the machine more.
>> Make sure your account is a full administrator account and then take
>> ownership of the "compaq_owner" files and folders. Then delete the
>> compaq_owner user.
>>
>> <printdude1968@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm not sure if this is the right solution. When I log on to the
>>> computer, I sign on and there I am. If I check the Users under control
>>> panel, I'm there along with guest and one other. The compaq_owner
>>> account must have been created when I started this beast up for the
>>> first time. It's not hurting anything but it would be nice to have it
>>> associated with me. I already have an account on this computer but
>>> there is no folder in Documents And Settings, probably because I told
>>> the config that I am the owner. Will it hurt if I just change the name
>>> of the Compaq_Owner folder to be my name?

August 22, 2005 1:22:11 PM

First login as an administrator. Then in Explorer, right
click the file/folder that you want to set the ownership
for. Select "Sharing and Security" (or "Properties" if you
prefer. Select the "Security" tab, click "Advanced", select
"Owner". In that panel, click the person/group that you want
to be owner, select "Replace Owner on Subcontainers and
Objects" if needs be, and click "Apply". OK any warnings and
exit. Login as the user and navigate to the Security tab as
above and give yourself permissions on the folder. Apply.
Then select the "Advanced" tab and propogate the permissions
to the sub-folders and objects.

Cheers,

Cliff