"Compaq_Owner"

Under Documents and Settings there are 4 folders. All Users, Default
User, Compaq_Owner and one other. Is there a non-destructive way to
change "Compaq_Owner" to be my name, as in the one I log into my
computer with?
7 answers Last reply
More about compaq_owner

    Create a new user profile, then delete the other user account after
    transferring the old account's information to your new account.

    How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&Product=winxp

    How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile

    Also see:

    Change the Computer's Registered Owner in Windows XP
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_change_owner.htm

    Microsoft Registration: Start > Run and type: REGWIZ /R ,
    and hit enter.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "printdude" wrote:

    | Under Documents and Settings there are 4 folders. All Users, Default
    | User, Compaq_Owner and one other. Is there a non-destructive way to
    | change "Compaq_Owner" to be my name, as in the one I log into my
    | computer with?

    "Compaq_Owner" might be the in-built Administrator account. It's better to
    password protect it and then use an alternate user account (Admin privileges
    if needed).

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    <printdude1968@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Under Documents and Settings there are 4 folders. All Users, Default
    > User, Compaq_Owner and one other. Is there a non-destructive way to
    > change "Compaq_Owner" to be my name, as in the one I log into my
    > computer with?

    I'm not sure if this is the right solution. When I log on to the
    computer, I sign on and there I am. If I check the Users under control
    panel, I'm there along with guest and one other. The compaq_owner
    account must have been created when I started this beast up for the
    first time. It's not hurting anything but it would be nice to have it
    associated with me. I already have an account on this computer but
    there is no folder in Documents And Settings, probably because I told
    the config that I am the owner. Will it hurt if I just change the name
    of the Compaq_Owner folder to be my name?

    You will only confuse the machine more.
    Make sure your account is a full administrator account and then take
    ownership of the "compaq_owner" files and folders. Then delete the
    compaq_owner user.

    > I'm not sure if this is the right solution. When I log on to the
    > computer, I sign on and there I am. If I check the Users under control
    > panel, I'm there along with guest and one other. The compaq_owner
    > account must have been created when I started this beast up for the
    > first time. It's not hurting anything but it would be nice to have it
    > associated with me. I already have an account on this computer but
    > there is no folder in Documents And Settings, probably because I told
    > the config that I am the owner. Will it hurt if I just change the name
    > of the Compaq_Owner folder to be my name?

    How do you "take ownership" of the files and folders?

    "Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    > You will only confuse the machine more.
    > Make sure your account is a full administrator account and then take
    > ownership of the "compaq_owner" files and folders. Then delete the
    > compaq_owner user.
    >
    > <printdude1968@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm not sure if this is the right solution. When I log on to the
    >> computer, I sign on and there I am. If I check the Users under control
    >> panel, I'm there along with guest and one other. The compaq_owner
    >> account must have been created when I started this beast up for the
    >> first time. It's not hurting anything but it would be nice to have it
    >> associated with me. I already have an account on this computer but
    >> there is no folder in Documents And Settings, probably because I told
    >> the config that I am the owner. Will it hurt if I just change the name
    >> of the Compaq_Owner folder to be my name?

    See
    http://snipurl.com/h3zn

    "The Print Guy" <printdude1968@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > How do you "take ownership" of the files and folders?
    >
    > "Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    >> You will only confuse the machine more.
    >> Make sure your account is a full administrator account and then take
    >> ownership of the "compaq_owner" files and folders. Then delete the
    >> compaq_owner user.
    >>
    >> <printdude1968@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> I'm not sure if this is the right solution. When I log on to the
    >>> computer, I sign on and there I am. If I check the Users under control
    >>> panel, I'm there along with guest and one other. The compaq_owner
    >>> account must have been created when I started this beast up for the
    >>> first time. It's not hurting anything but it would be nice to have it
    >>> associated with me. I already have an account on this computer but
    >>> there is no folder in Documents And Settings, probably because I told
    >>> the config that I am the owner. Will it hurt if I just change the name
    >>> of the Compaq_Owner folder to be my name?

    First login as an administrator. Then in Explorer, right
    click the file/folder that you want to set the ownership
    for. Select "Sharing and Security" (or "Properties" if you
    prefer. Select the "Security" tab, click "Advanced", select
    "Owner". In that panel, click the person/group that you want
    to be owner, select "Replace Owner on Subcontainers and
    Objects" if needs be, and click "Apply". OK any warnings and
    exit. Login as the user and navigate to the Security tab as
    above and give yourself permissions on the folder. Apply.
    Then select the "Advanced" tab and propogate the permissions
    to the sub-folders and objects.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The Print Guy wrote:
    > How do you "take ownership" of the files and folders?
    >
    > "Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>You will only confuse the machine more.
    >>Make sure your account is a full administrator account and then take
    >>ownership of the "compaq_owner" files and folders. Then delete the
    >>compaq_owner user.
    >>
    >><printdude1968@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I'm not sure if this is the right solution. When I log on to the
    >>>computer, I sign on and there I am. If I check the Users under control
    >>>panel, I'm there along with guest and one other. The compaq_owner
    >>>account must have been created when I started this beast up for the
    >>>first time. It's not hurting anything but it would be nice to have it
    >>>associated with me. I already have an account on this computer but
    >>>there is no folder in Documents And Settings, probably because I told
    >>>the config that I am the owner. Will it hurt if I just change the name
    >>>of the Compaq_Owner folder to be my name?

Support Compaq Microsoft Windows XP