"Dell - Software Support or Extortion?"

When I asked why all those Dell programs were accessing the internet, they
told me they must be viruses. They may charge you but the good news is they
don't know anything.

John

"Curious" <Curious@curiosity.net> wrote in message
> http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2005/2005-06-13.htm#5
>
> "Dell - Software Support or Extortion?"
>
> Wait a minute... Let me see if I have this right. You installed Dell
> Support on my computer and then tell me that if I don't want the
> upgrade, I'm going to have to pay you help me get off what you put on?

Ummm... Uninstall it?

I suppose I shouldn't admit it but I actually like the new Dell Support
program. It's alerted me twice as to driver upgrades available and annoyed
me twice to set up a screen saver (which I actually use but it's a purchased
version, not monitored by windows.)

Anyway I decided to see how Dell support handled the situation and was quite
impressed in that it actually walked me through the process of setting up a
screensaver. A real nice feature to anyone who is new to computers (which is
probably a large portion of Dell's sales envelope).

While I probably don't really need this basic support, it's nice that my
computers are being monitored and I will get alerts (actual usable alerts)
covering setting up and using Windows, driver updates and software updates.

It "reads" the particular system's hardware and software and keeps one
updated. This is really a boon for new users who usually don't have a clue.

Just remembered, was having problems with Zone Alarm Pro last week
(cross-linked files took out the driver) and uninstalled it. After the
reboot, and before it reinstalled it again, Dell Support kicked in and
advised me to turn on Windows Firewall. (I was off the network and wasn't
worried, but I thought that that was an excellent example of a very useful
program.)

Ok, let me have it, .. I like the new Dell support feature; it actually
seems to be a step in the right direction.

> Wait a minute... Let me see if I have this right. You installed Dell
> Support on my computer and then tell me that if I don't want the
> upgrade, I'm going to have to pay you help me get off what you put on?

Oh my! That's scary :eek: I'm fairly certain I don't want to go in the
direction this kind of invasiveness is leading to. And, why does Dell think
you NEED a screen saver? I don't know if they still do or not, but screen
savers used to be the cause of a lot of nasty PC problems
And to the OP, you DO know that removing the software isn't necessary,
right? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. Simply go into
the Dell Support Setup and disable it and turn off all the channels. Remove
it from the startup tab in msconfig and block access to the Dell site via
your firewall. I never let any of my programs automatically "call home for
any reason. A firewall like Zone Alarm will show you just how many programs
will try to access the internet when you run them.
Monica
"SGD" <nobody@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I suppose I shouldn't admit it but I actually like the new Dell Support
> program. It's alerted me twice as to driver upgrades available and annoyed
> me twice to set up a screen saver (which I actually use but it's a
> purchased
> version, not monitored by windows.)

curious

The issue is about Dell "charging" (for removing the Dell support
program). See:

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Curious" <Curious@curiosity.net> wrote in message
>> http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2005/2005-06-13.htm#5
>>
>> "Dell - Software Support or Extortion?"
>>
>> Wait a minute... Let me see if I have this right. You installed Dell
>> Support on my computer and then tell me that if I don't want the
>> upgrade, I'm going to have to pay you help me get off what you put on?
>

>Ummm... Uninstall it?

It further explained that if I did not want Dell Support 3.0 installed
on my computer, I would have to remove Dell Support via the Add/Remove
Programs menu.

The only problem is that it will not uninstall.

verizon

World

">> Wait a minute... Let me see if I have this right. You installed Dell
>> Support on my computer and then tell me that if I don't want the
>> upgrade, I'm going to have to pay you help me get off what you put on?
>
> Ummm... Uninstall it?

..........just turn it off in the Settings screen >uncheck "Run on Windows
Start up".

Besides, it's a good program, kina looks over your shoulder and checks to
see if everything is functioning OK.

What the hell is the big deal? If you don't want it, turn it off.
What a bunch of woosess.