Wireless by Chinese embassy

I'm proud I got my WPA-PSK finally working and was thinking I was being anal
spending all the time setting the thing up because I'm currently residing in
the Philippines and most people don't have computers here... let alone
networks! I only found 1 store here that had wireless G router here. But
then I got to thinking..... I'm hollering distance from the Chinese embassy!
That means I would probably definately get hacked by international spies or
something if I don't use the best security. Maybe I ought to just give it
up :-) Maybe I could label my SSID "not chinese embassy" or I could just
play along with it and label my SSID "Top Secret"
17 answers Last reply
More about wireless chinese embassy

    ahh wrote:
    > I'm proud I got my WPA-PSK finally working

    > That means I would probably definately get hacked by international spies or
    > something if I don't use the best security.

    If you really want the best security you should _not_ run WPA in PSK-mode.

    Sander.

    ahh <ahh@ahh.com> wrote:

    > That means I would probably definately get hacked by international spies or
    > something if I don't use the best security.

    Afraid that you will cause some international incident? maybe even WW3?

    Do you really think that anyone has the least bit of interest in tht
    scrap of metal what you call a PC?

    Don't be such a boring stupid moron and get a real life!

    --
    Groeten,

    Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)

    ahh <ahh@ahh.com> wrote:

    > I'm proud I got my WPA-PSK finally working and was thinking I was being anal
    > spending all the time setting the thing up because I'm currently residing in
    > the Philippines and most people don't have computers here... let alone
    > networks! I only found 1 store here that had wireless G router here. But
    > then I got to thinking..... I'm hollering distance from the Chinese embassy!
    > That means I would probably definately get hacked by international spies or
    > something if I don't use the best security. Maybe I ought to just give it
    > up :-) Maybe I could label my SSID "not chinese embassy" or I could just
    > play along with it and label my SSID "Top Secret"

    How about something really friendly like "Free Tibet" or "Independent
    Taiwan"?

    ahh wrote:

    > I'm proud I got my WPA-PSK finally working and was thinking I was being anal
    > spending all the time setting the thing up because I'm currently residing in
    > the Philippines and most people don't have computers here... let alone
    > networks! I only found 1 store here that had wireless G router here. But
    > then I got to thinking..... I'm hollering distance from the Chinese embassy!
    > That means I would probably definately get hacked by international spies or
    > something if I don't use the best security. Maybe I ought to just give it
    > up :-) Maybe I could label my SSID "not chinese embassy" or I could just
    > play along with it and label my SSID "Top Secret"

    Just my thoughts: the tougher you make it to get into, the more likely
    someone is to *try* to get in. Unless you're just wanting to fart around
    with them, use a very weak encryption so they can look around and decide
    you're too boring for them.

    It's been my experience that embassies have a vew limited sense of
    humor. I was once ordered by a policeman to take my foot off of the
    grass in front of an embassy in DC because I was "trespassing on foreign
    soil".

    The problem with Pre-Shared Keys is that everyone on your WLAN uses the same
    key. In this case, I believe that the writer is the only user of the WLAN.
    Otherwise, PSK is fine. The PSK is not actually used to encrypt messages as
    it was in WEP. The PSK is used to derive message keys. With TKIP enabled,
    the message keys are changed constantly, automatically.

    Don't forget to change your PSK every once in a while.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "AnToNio" <antoniongXXX@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    > ahh <ahh@ahh.com> wrote:
    >
    > > That means I would probably definately get hacked by international spies
    or
    > > something if I don't use the best security.
    >
    > Afraid that you will cause some international incident? maybe even WW3?
    >
    > Do you really think that anyone has the least bit of interest in tht
    > scrap of metal what you call a PC?
    >
    > Don't be such a boring stupid moron and get a real life!
    >
    > --
    I found the original post quite amusing and the thread fairly interesting -
    don't assume everyone shares your attitude, as you clearly made yourself out
    to be the moron IMO.

    --
    TP

    Attacking "boring" people is having a life?
    Seeking knowledge, as the OP was, seems more fruitful.

    In article <1gegh8n.u7jpnu1sekgy9N%antoniongXXX@zonnet.nl>,
    AnToNio <antoniongXXX@zonnet.nl> wrote:
    :Do you really think that anyone has the least bit of interest in tht
    :scrap of metal what you call a PC?

    :Don't be such a boring stupid moron and get a real life!

    AnToNio, people really *do* get investigated and spied upon for strange
    reasons. I know of someone, a child at the time, who had a file opened
    on them by the national police force of their country, on the grounds
    that they had attended (as a spectator) a sporting event exhibition at
    an embassy. I know people who have had their phones tapped for
    political reasons. I know people whom I rarely heard express a
    political opinion stronger than "I think we should try harder for
    peace", whose internet service was officially declared as one of the
    first ones that their country should take over as a potential security
    risk in the event of any "national emergency".

    I was told, decades ago "off the record" that two different
    intelligence agencies in my country had files open on me -- and that's
    before I had *done* anything (no protest marches, no petitions signed,
    no political activities of any kind): I was just a bright student with
    a knack for computers. [The only thing I've been able to figure out is
    that they might have been thinking of recruiting me.]
    --
    Positrons can be described as electrons traveling backwards in time.
    Certainly many Usenet arguments about the past become clearer when they

    A note of clarification.

    The WEP private key is not used to encrypt the data payload. It is used to
    generate a unique keystream for each data frame, using RC4. The per-frame
    uniqueness is supposed to be guaranteed by the fact that WEP transmits a
    pseudorandom 24-bit IV with each data frame, which is used to extend the
    private key before applying RC4 to get the keystream. The salient flaw is
    that the IV is transmitted in the clear. The statistical weakness of some
    IVs, combined with the fact that the remainder of the RC4 seed remains fixed
    (the private key), allows several effective attacks.

    TKIP serves a similar function - varying the key used to encrypt frames -
    much more securely and effectively. WPA2 supports AES encryption, which is
    far stronger than the RC4 keystream method used in WEP. Even WPA without AES
    is much more secure than WEP. The only proviso I have heard is that WPA
    pre-shared keys that are too short may be subject to a brute force
    dictionary attack. Choose the longest possible pre-shared key, and choose it
    randomly

    "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > The problem with Pre-Shared Keys is that everyone on your WLAN uses the
    same
    > key. In this case, I believe that the writer is the only user of the
    WLAN.
    > Otherwise, PSK is fine. The PSK is not actually used to encrypt messages
    as
    > it was in WEP. The PSK is used to derive message keys. With TKIP
    enabled,
    > the message keys are changed constantly, automatically.
    >
    > Don't forget to change your PSK every once in a while.
    >
    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    >
    > "Sander" <Big_Scary_Man@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > ahh wrote:
    > > > I'm proud I got my WPA-PSK finally working
    > >
    > > > That means I would probably definately get hacked by international
    spies
    > or
    > > > something if I don't use the best security.
    > >
    > > If you really want the best security you should _not_ run WPA in
    PSK-mode.

    > > Sander.

    Walter Roberson <roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:

    Seen too many scary movies?

    --

    Neill Massello <neillmassello@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > How about something really friendly like "Free Tibet" or "Independent
    > Taiwan"?

    Lucky! At least one person that has some sense of humor and realism!

    --
    Groeten,

    Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)

    Walter Roberson <roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:

    Like I said in another message. It seems that there has been an escape
    from a lunatic asylum and the idiots are trying to take over the place.

    --
    Groeten,

    Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)
  13. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    In article <1gegz92.1p54zqe1qob648N%antoniongXXX@zonnet.nl>,
    AnToNio <antoniongXXX@zonnet.nl> wrote:
    :Walter Roberson <roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:

    :Like I said in another message. It seems that there has been an escape
    :from a lunatic asylum and the idiots are trying to take over the place.

    I seem to have missed that message. Could you post it's message-id
    or google URL? I wouldn't want to waste my time on issues that might
    already have been covered, such as

    http://www.ccmep.org/2002_articles/Local_News/121802_denver_police_department_spying.htm

    Denver Police Department Spying called unjust: Suit against police
    shows repeated scrutiny of free speech

    Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - Depositions in a lawsuit against
    Denver police show a disorganized, loosely run intelligence unit in
    which untrained officers spied on thousands of citizens whose only
    crime was to exercise their right to free speech.

    With no policy to guide them since the unit's inception in the
    1950s, officers jotted down license-plate numbers, physical
    descriptions and other personal information concerning people who
    participated in protests or others who associated with them.

    Such events were kept under close scrutiny, including
    demonstrations against the Vietnam War in the 1960s and a Columbus
    Day parade in 2000, the depositions show.

    Members of the intelligence unit often surveilled their subjects by
    taking photographs and videos. At times, information was gathered
    on people merely because they parked their cars near an event or a
    protester's home.

    [...]
    Denver officials admitted in March that files had been kept on
    at least 3,200 individuals and 208 groups.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Thats a good idea. Its not that I think the Chinese would hack me ... it's
    that I think someone else outside the embassy who might think I'm chinese
    computer hack me. A Chinese computer definately couldn't put "Independent
    Taiwan" But if the Chinese see "Independent Taiwan" right next to there
    embassy then they would call on a hacker thinking a group is spying on them
    having an SSID like that so close to the embassy. I would expect none of
    this would happen but then how many of us will have a neigbor run Unix
    AirSnort either. Most of all are work is just "piece of mind" anyway.

    "Neill Massello" <neillmassello@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > ahh <ahh@ahh.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm proud I got my WPA-PSK finally working and was thinking I was being
    anal
    > > spending all the time setting the thing up because I'm currently
    residing in
    > > the Philippines and most people don't have computers here... let alone
    > > networks! I only found 1 store here that had wireless G router here.
    But
    > > then I got to thinking..... I'm hollering distance from the Chinese
    embassy!
    > > That means I would probably definately get hacked by international spies
    or
    > > something if I don't use the best security. Maybe I ought to just give
    it
    > > up :-) Maybe I could label my SSID "not chinese embassy" or I could
    just
    > > play along with it and label my SSID "Top Secret"
    >
    > How about something really friendly like "Free Tibet" or "Independent
    > Taiwan"?

  15. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    ahh <ahh@ahh.com> wrote:

    > it's
    > that I think someone else outside the embassy who might think I'm chinese
    > computer hack me.

    Man oh man, you really are in for a quiet week in an asylum! I'm very
    sorry but the only qualification that fits you i that of a severe
    paranoid!

    if you are really worrying about these (laughable) problems then don't
    use wireless but use wired or homeplugs if you are too lazy to layout
    these wires.

    --
    Groeten,

    Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)
  16. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    I'd set up a hotspot and give ssid a slightly x-rated name.
    Some embasy visitors may speed through booring days and evenings paying $$
    per hour with their corporate or gov credit cards. Make the fees a tad high
    too.

    "ahh" <ahh@ahh.com> wrote in message
    > I'm proud I got my WPA-PSK finally working and was thinking I was being
    anal
    > spending all the time setting the thing up because I'm currently residing
    in
    > the Philippines and most people don't have computers here... let alone
    > networks! I only found 1 store here that had wireless G router here. But
    > then I got to thinking..... I'm hollering distance from the Chinese
    embassy!
    > That means I would probably definately get hacked by international spies
    or
    > something if I don't use the best security. Maybe I ought to just give it
    > up :-) Maybe I could label my SSID "not chinese embassy" or I could just
    > play along with it and label my SSID "Top Secret"

  17. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    In the land of Antonio, identity theft is not an issue.
    "AnToNio" <antoniongXXX@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    > ahh <ahh@ahh.com> wrote:
    >
    > > That means I would probably definately get hacked by international spies
    or
    > > something if I don't use the best security.
    >
    > Afraid that you will cause some international incident? maybe even WW3?
    >
    > Do you really think that anyone has the least bit of interest in tht
    > scrap of metal what you call a PC?
    >
    > Don't be such a boring stupid moron and get a real life!
    >
    > --
    > Groeten,
    >
    > Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)

Wireless Internet Wireless Networking