Wireless by Chinese embassy

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
May 28, 2004 12:46:05 AM

I'm proud I got my WPA-PSK finally working and was thinking I was being anal
spending all the time setting the thing up because I'm currently residing in
the Philippines and most people don't have computers here... let alone
networks! I only found 1 store here that had wireless G router here. But
then I got to thinking..... I'm hollering distance from the Chinese embassy!
That means I would probably definately get hacked by international spies or
something if I don't use the best security. Maybe I ought to just give it
up :-) Maybe I could label my SSID "not chinese embassy" or I could just
play along with it and label my SSID "Top Secret"
May 28, 2004 12:46:06 AM

ahh wrote:
> I'm proud I got my WPA-PSK finally working

> That means I would probably definately get hacked by international spies or
> something if I don't use the best security.

If you really want the best security you should _not_ run WPA in PSK-mode.

Sander.
May 28, 2004 12:46:06 AM

ahh <ahh@ahh.com> wrote:

> That means I would probably definately get hacked by international spies or
> something if I don't use the best security.

Afraid that you will cause some international incident? maybe even WW3?

Do you really think that anyone has the least bit of interest in tht
scrap of metal what you call a PC?

Don't be such a boring stupid moron and get a real life!

--
Groeten,

Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 28, 2004 12:46:06 AM

ahh <ahh@ahh.com> wrote:

> I'm proud I got my WPA-PSK finally working and was thinking I was being anal
> spending all the time setting the thing up because I'm currently residing in
> the Philippines and most people don't have computers here... let alone
> networks! I only found 1 store here that had wireless G router here. But
> then I got to thinking..... I'm hollering distance from the Chinese embassy!
> That means I would probably definately get hacked by international spies or
> something if I don't use the best security. Maybe I ought to just give it
> up :-) Maybe I could label my SSID "not chinese embassy" or I could just
> play along with it and label my SSID "Top Secret"

How about something really friendly like "Free Tibet" or "Independent
Taiwan"?
May 28, 2004 12:46:06 AM

ahh wrote:

> I'm proud I got my WPA-PSK finally working and was thinking I was being anal
> spending all the time setting the thing up because I'm currently residing in
> the Philippines and most people don't have computers here... let alone
> networks! I only found 1 store here that had wireless G router here. But
> then I got to thinking..... I'm hollering distance from the Chinese embassy!
> That means I would probably definately get hacked by international spies or
> something if I don't use the best security. Maybe I ought to just give it
> up :-) Maybe I could label my SSID "not chinese embassy" or I could just
> play along with it and label my SSID "Top Secret"

Just my thoughts: the tougher you make it to get into, the more likely
someone is to *try* to get in. Unless you're just wanting to fart around
with them, use a very weak encryption so they can look around and decide
you're too boring for them.

It's been my experience that embassies have a vew limited sense of
humor. I was once ordered by a policeman to take my foot off of the
grass in front of an embassy in DC because I was "trespassing on foreign
soil".
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 28, 2004 12:46:07 AM

The problem with Pre-Shared Keys is that everyone on your WLAN uses the same
key. In this case, I believe that the writer is the only user of the WLAN.
Otherwise, PSK is fine. The PSK is not actually used to encrypt messages as
it was in WEP. The PSK is used to derive message keys. With TKIP enabled,
the message keys are changed constantly, automatically.

Don't forget to change your PSK every once in a while.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Sander" <Big_Scary_Man@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p %ltc.387$9n5.187@amstwist00...
> ahh wrote:
> > I'm proud I got my WPA-PSK finally working
>
> > That means I would probably definately get hacked by international spies
or
> > something if I don't use the best security.
>
> If you really want the best security you should _not_ run WPA in PSK-mode.
>
> Sander.

May 28, 2004 12:46:07 AM

"AnToNio" <antoniongXXX@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> ahh <ahh@ahh.com> wrote:
>
> > That means I would probably definately get hacked by international spies
or
> > something if I don't use the best security.
>
> Afraid that you will cause some international incident? maybe even WW3?
>
> Do you really think that anyone has the least bit of interest in tht
> scrap of metal what you call a PC?
>
> Don't be such a boring stupid moron and get a real life!
>
> --
I found the original post quite amusing and the thread fairly interesting -
don't assume everyone shares your attitude, as you clearly made yourself out
to be the moron IMO.

--
TP
Anonymous

Attacking "boring" people is having a life?
Seeking knowledge, as the OP was, seems more fruitful.

In article <1gegh8n.u7jpnu1sekgy9N%antoniongXXX@zonnet.nl>,
AnToNio <antoniongXXX@zonnet.nl> wrote:
:D o you really think that anyone has the least bit of interest in tht
:scrap of metal what you call a PC?

:D on't be such a boring stupid moron and get a real life!

AnToNio, people really *do* get investigated and spied upon for strange
reasons. I know of someone, a child at the time, who had a file opened
on them by the national police force of their country, on the grounds
that they had attended (as a spectator) a sporting event exhibition at
an embassy. I know people who have had their phones tapped for
political reasons. I know people whom I rarely heard express a
political opinion stronger than "I think we should try harder for
peace", whose internet service was officially declared as one of the
first ones that their country should take over as a potential security
risk in the event of any "national emergency".

I was told, decades ago "off the record" that two different
intelligence agencies in my country had files open on me -- and that's
before I had *done* anything (no protest marches, no petitions signed,
no political activities of any kind): I was just a bright student with
a knack for computers. [The only thing I've been able to figure out is
that they might have been thinking of recruiting me.]
--
Positrons can be described as electrons traveling backwards in time.
Certainly many Usenet arguments about the past become clearer when they

A note of clarification.

The WEP private key is not used to encrypt the data payload. It is used to
generate a unique keystream for each data frame, using RC4. The per-frame
uniqueness is supposed to be guaranteed by the fact that WEP transmits a
pseudorandom 24-bit IV with each data frame, which is used to extend the
private key before applying RC4 to get the keystream. The salient flaw is
that the IV is transmitted in the clear. The statistical weakness of some
IVs, combined with the fact that the remainder of the RC4 seed remains fixed
(the private key), allows several effective attacks.

TKIP serves a similar function - varying the key used to encrypt frames -
much more securely and effectively. WPA2 supports AES encryption, which is
far stronger than the RC4 keystream method used in WEP. Even WPA without AES
is much more secure than WEP. The only proviso I have heard is that WPA
pre-shared keys that are too short may be subject to a brute force
dictionary attack. Choose the longest possible pre-shared key, and choose it
randomly

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
> The problem with Pre-Shared Keys is that everyone on your WLAN uses the
same
> key. In this case, I believe that the writer is the only user of the
WLAN.
> Otherwise, PSK is fine. The PSK is not actually used to encrypt messages
as
> it was in WEP. The PSK is used to derive message keys. With TKIP
enabled,
> the message keys are changed constantly, automatically.
>
> Don't forget to change your PSK every once in a while.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
>
> "Sander" <Big_Scary_Man@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:p %ltc.387$9n5.187@amstwist00...
> > ahh wrote:
> > > I'm proud I got my WPA-PSK finally working
> >
> > > That means I would probably definately get hacked by international
spies
> or
> > > something if I don't use the best security.
> >
> > If you really want the best security you should _not_ run WPA in
PSK-mode.

> > Sander.

May 28, 2004 12:47:57 AM

Walter Roberson <roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:

Seen too many scary movies?

--

Neill Massello <neillmassello@earthlink.net> wrote:

> How about something really friendly like "Free Tibet" or "Independent
> Taiwan"?

Lucky! At least one person that has some sense of humor and realism!

--
Groeten,

Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)
May 28, 2004 4:22:43 AM

Walter Roberson <roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:

Like I said in another message. It seems that there has been an escape
from a lunatic asylum and the idiots are trying to take over the place.

--
Groeten,

Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 28, 2004 4:22:44 AM

In article <1gegz92.1p54zqe1qob648N%antoniongXXX@zonnet.nl>,
AnToNio <antoniongXXX@zonnet.nl> wrote:
:Walter Roberson <roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:

:Like I said in another message. It seems that there has been an escape
:from a lunatic asylum and the idiots are trying to take over the place.

I seem to have missed that message. Could you post it's message-id
or google URL? I wouldn't want to waste my time on issues that might
already have been covered, such as

http://www.ccmep.org/2002_articles/Local_News/121802_de...

Denver Police Department Spying called unjust: Suit against police
shows repeated scrutiny of free speech

Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - Depositions in a lawsuit against
Denver police show a disorganized, loosely run intelligence unit in
which untrained officers spied on thousands of citizens whose only
crime was to exercise their right to free speech.

With no policy to guide them since the unit's inception in the
1950s, officers jotted down license-plate numbers, physical
descriptions and other personal information concerning people who
participated in protests or others who associated with them.

Such events were kept under close scrutiny, including
demonstrations against the Vietnam War in the 1960s and a Columbus
Day parade in 2000, the depositions show.

Members of the intelligence unit often surveilled their subjects by
taking photographs and videos. At times, information was gathered
on people merely because they parked their cars near an event or a
protester's home.

[...]
Denver officials admitted in March that files had been kept on
at least 3,200 individuals and 208 groups.

a b F Wireless
May 28, 2004 10:12:50 AM

Thats a good idea. Its not that I think the Chinese would hack me ... it's
that I think someone else outside the embassy who might think I'm chinese
computer hack me. A Chinese computer definately couldn't put "Independent
Taiwan" But if the Chinese see "Independent Taiwan" right next to there
embassy then they would call on a hacker thinking a group is spying on them
having an SSID like that so close to the embassy. I would expect none of
this would happen but then how many of us will have a neigbor run Unix
AirSnort either. Most of all are work is just "piece of mind" anyway.

"Neill Massello" <neillmassello@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> ahh <ahh@ahh.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm proud I got my WPA-PSK finally working and was thinking I was being
anal
> > spending all the time setting the thing up because I'm currently
residing in
> > the Philippines and most people don't have computers here... let alone
> > networks! I only found 1 store here that had wireless G router here.
But
> > then I got to thinking..... I'm hollering distance from the Chinese
embassy!
> > That means I would probably definately get hacked by international spies
or
> > something if I don't use the best security. Maybe I ought to just give
it
> > up :-) Maybe I could label my SSID "not chinese embassy" or I could
just
> > play along with it and label my SSID "Top Secret"
>
> How about something really friendly like "Free Tibet" or "Independent
> Taiwan"?

May 28, 2004 10:12:51 AM

ahh <ahh@ahh.com> wrote:

> it's
> that I think someone else outside the embassy who might think I'm chinese
> computer hack me.

Man oh man, you really are in for a quiet week in an asylum! I'm very
sorry but the only qualification that fits you i that of a severe
paranoid!

if you are really worrying about these (laughable) problems then don't
use wireless but use wired or homeplugs if you are too lazy to layout
these wires.

--
Groeten,

Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 28, 2004 7:01:52 PM

I'd set up a hotspot and give ssid a slightly x-rated name.
Some embasy visitors may speed through booring days and evenings paying $$
per hour with their corporate or gov credit cards. Make the fees a tad high
too.

"ahh" <ahh@ahh.com> wrote in message
> I'm proud I got my WPA-PSK finally working and was thinking I was being
anal
> spending all the time setting the thing up because I'm currently residing
in
> the Philippines and most people don't have computers here... let alone
> networks! I only found 1 store here that had wireless G router here. But
> then I got to thinking..... I'm hollering distance from the Chinese
embassy!
> That means I would probably definately get hacked by international spies
or
> something if I don't use the best security. Maybe I ought to just give it
> up :-) Maybe I could label my SSID "not chinese embassy" or I could just
> play along with it and label my SSID "Top Secret"

May 30, 2004 4:27:43 AM

In the land of Antonio, identity theft is not an issue.

!