New Video Card

D

Deleted member 3023

I am building a new computer & was hoping swomeone can help me decide on a video card. I'm not much of a heavy gamer, but do need something that works great with Return to Castle Wolfenstein & the new DOOM game. I am leaning to a Radeon 64mb or Nvidia GeForce2 64mb; I need a good balance between price & performance. BTW, I will run the card at 1024x768 & highest color possible.

G

OK, Chaiotictec has the recommendations I would offer, but I was just feeling the need to post something.... :eek:

The GeForce2 would work fine, but the Ti200 isn't much more $$ and will support more stufforz

------------------

:cool: <b>Do YOU deserve Da Bird?</b> :cool: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Insidious on 11/03/01 06:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
GeForce 3 Ti200.... not that much slower than the 500/ATI8500 but a LOT cheaper. from the other view, not much more than the cheaper contenders and way faster.
Im going for teh creative version... i expect its not going to be one of teh fastest but here in UK its quite a bit cheaper than the others and will be first to arrive at my supplier

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
If you wanna play Doom when it comes out, you should realize that they're designing the game with Geforce3 level performance being the average requirement for a good playing experience. With WolfenStein you could be very playable in 1024x768x32 with good framerates and a low end Geforce2 (GTS). I have a Ge2 GTS and Wolfenstein plays just fine...

If you have to choose between a Geforce2 Pro or a Radeon 64 DDR, definately go for the Pro. It stomps the old Radeon in terms of framerates, and it sounds like you're just the average gamer with a priority on framerate instead of features. I would suggest a Geforce3 Ti 200 if you plan on playing DOOM on it when it comes out.... great bang for your buck, and at least it has guaranteed performance unlike other unnamed companies who simply can't produce a decent driver set.

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky

D

Deleted member 3023

Ok, thanks for the recommendations everyone. I do want to stay below 150.00 & have found some great prices over at pricewatch.com, but is there somewhere I can find a side by side comparison on these cards? I think the GeForce3 might be just a bit out of price range SerArthurDayne, but I'll check it out. Also, if I decide on the GeForce2, is there a difference between the brands PNY, GigaByte, Leadtek that I've seen on pricewatch.com?

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
The brands are pretty similar in general. If you have a preference, follow that. In the end, you'll most likely be using the Detonator reference drivers anyway, so driver support realy isn't that big an issue.

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
If you're going for a Geforce2, I would personally recommend the Gainward Geforce2 Pro Golden Sample with the 4.5ns memory, or the Gainward Geforce2 Ti also with 4.5ns memory. Both are somewhere around 120 dollars, and you can get either with or without TV-out for very little price difference.

Whatever brand you do buy, get something with fast memory - they overclock better :)

I'll dig up some good comparison benchmarks for you tomorrow.

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky