Printer Sharing Problem

August 20, 2005 6:11:19 AM

I have established an Ethernet LAN between my Windows XP HOME SP2 and my
Windows XP Professional SP2 PCs. I have printer sharing set in both
PCs. The XP Pro PC can see and print on all of the printers on the XP
Home machine. However the XP HOME PC can see the XP Pro PC on the
network but no access to the XP Pro machine is permitted. I get an
error message relating to "Incorrect Logon type" When I click on the XP
Pro PC Icon on the XP Home machine. I've read and tried everything I
coule find on the subject with no luck. Any ideas?

--
Roy
Anonymous

This sometimes is a result of a policy on the pro machine that disables the 'guest account' (not on the Welcome screen, rather in
Policy...GPEDIT.MSC)

JSI Tip 4552. You cannot add and-or see printers in Windows 2000:
http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBJ/tip4500/rh4552.htm

Focus On Printers and Windows XP:
http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/focuson/print...

How Can I Share All the Local Printers on a Computer?:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources...

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Roy" <qrm5qrt@whoopie.org> wrote in message news:bjwNe.3657$r54.3452@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
>I have established an Ethernet LAN between my Windows XP HOME SP2 and my Windows XP Professional SP2 PCs. I have printer sharing
>set in both PCs. The XP Pro PC can see and print on all of the printers on the XP Home machine. However the XP HOME PC can see
>the XP Pro PC on the network but no access to the XP Pro machine is permitted. I get an error message relating to "Incorrect Logon
>type" When I click on the XP Pro PC Icon on the XP Home machine. I've read and tried everything I coule find on the subject with
>no luck. Any ideas?
>
> --
> Roy
August 20, 2005 11:10:42 PM

Mark L. Ferguson wrote:
> This sometimes is a result of a policy on the pro machine that disables the 'guest account' (not on the Welcome screen, rather in
> Policy...GPEDIT.MSC)
>
> JSI Tip 4552. You cannot add and-or see printers in Windows 2000:
> http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBJ/tip4500/rh4552.htm
>
> Focus On Printers and Windows XP:
> http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/focuson/print...
>
> How Can I Share All the Local Printers on a Computer?:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources...

Mark, the printer I want to share is on the XP Pro machine. The printer
icon there has the "sharing hand" beneath it showing the printer is
shared. My problem is trying to access the XP Pro machine from the XP
Home PC. I can see the XP Pro PC icon on the network from the XP Home
PC. When I try to Add a Printer at the Home XP PC and give the address
of the XP Pro printer I am asked for a User name and Password for the XP
Pro PC before the Add A Printer function will complete.

Here is my problem. On the XP Pro PC I do not have a Windows Logon
setup. I don't want to have to logon to my PC. I think this is the
logon name and password the XP Home PC is wanting in order to Add the
printer. Is this your understanding? If this is so, is there a way to
add that printer without the logon info being needed? I didn't have to
go through this Add a Printer routine at the XP Pro PC in order to share
the printer on the XP Home machine. I'm puzzled.

--
Roy
August 20, 2005 11:10:43 PM

On both machines, go to Network Connections folder, and rightclick the LAN icon, and the Authentication tab, and be sure the dot is
not in 'user as guest' authentication, but is in 'logon as computer'

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Roy" <qrm5qrt@whoopie.org> wrote in message news:SeLNe.2871$AT7.1127@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net...
> Mark L. Ferguson wrote:
>> This sometimes is a result of a policy on the pro machine that disables the 'guest account' (not on the Welcome screen, rather in
>> Policy...GPEDIT.MSC)
>>
>> JSI Tip 4552. You cannot add and-or see printers in Windows 2000:
>> http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBJ/tip4500/rh4552.htm
>>
>> Focus On Printers and Windows XP:
>> http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/focuson/print...
>>
>> How Can I Share All the Local Printers on a Computer?:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources...
>>

> Mark, the printer I want to share is on the XP Pro machine. The printer icon there has the "sharing hand" beneath it showing the
> printer is shared. My problem is trying to access the XP Pro machine from the XP Home PC. I can see the XP Pro PC icon on the
> network from the XP Home PC. When I try to Add a Printer at the Home XP PC and give the address of the XP Pro printer I am asked
> for a User name and Password for the XP Pro PC before the Add A Printer function will complete.
>
> Here is my problem. On the XP Pro PC I do not have a Windows Logon setup. I don't want to have to logon to my PC. I think this
> is the logon name and password the XP Home PC is wanting in order to Add the printer. Is this your understanding? If this is so,
> is there a way to add that printer without the logon info being needed? I didn't have to go through this Add a Printer routine at
> the XP Pro PC in order to share the printer on the XP Home machine. I'm puzzled.
>
> --
> Roy
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 12:20:14 AM

Roy Wrote:
> Mark L. Ferguson wrote:-
> This sometimes is a result of a policy on the pro machine that
> disables the 'guest account' (not on the Welcome screen, rather in
> Policy...GPEDIT.MSC)
>
> JSI Tip 4552. You cannot add and-or see printers in Windows 2000:
> http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBJ/tip4500/rh4552.htm
>
> Focus On Printers and Windows XP:
> http://tinyurl.com/cvk38
>
> How Can I Share All the Local Printers on a Computer?:
> http://tinyurl.com/8hnn3
>
> -
>
> Mark, the printer I want to share is on the XP Pro machine. The
> printer
> icon there has the "sharing hand" beneath it showing the printer is
> shared. My problem is trying to access the XP Pro machine from the XP
> Home PC. I can see the XP Pro PC icon on the network from the XP Home
> PC. When I try to Add a Printer at the Home XP PC and give the
> address
> of the XP Pro printer I am asked for a User name and Password for the
> XP
> Pro PC before the Add A Printer function will complete.
>
> Here is my problem. On the XP Pro PC I do not have a Windows Logon
> setup. I don't want to have to logon to my PC. I think this is the
> logon name and password the XP Home PC is wanting in order to Add the
> printer. Is this your understanding? If this is so, is there a way
> add that printer without the logon info being needed? I didn't have
> go through this Add a Printer routine at the XP Pro PC in order to
> share
> the printer on the XP Home machine. I'm puzzled.
>
> --
> Roy

Is your printer using an USB connection? Also, make sure your firewalls
are disabled or has exceptions for your computers on the network. Also,
I am a little confused at the part you said "give address of the XP pro
printer" part because what address are you giving it?
From what I understand about printers, all you do is install the
drivers for the printer, hook up the printer physically (in your case
XP Pro) and share it. On the other machine (XP Home) go into Start -->
Settings --> Printers --> Double click on Add a Printer and the wizard
should start automatically. Choose the network printer option. In the
next window, just click next (without having to type in anything in the
Name field) and it should come up with a list of shared printers on the
network. If none of this works, try looking at the permissions settings
of the printer on the XP Pro and make sure Everyone has access to use
it. Good luck

--
Evolution54
August 21, 2005 1:05:50 AM

Mark L. Ferguson wrote:
> On both machines, go to Network Connections folder, and rightclick the LAN icon, and the Authentication tab, and be sure the dot is
> not in 'user as guest' authentication, but is in 'logon as computer'

OK Mark, The XP HOME PC is set for Logon as computer. However the XP
Pro PC does not show an Authentication tab, just General and Advanced tabs.

--
Roy
August 21, 2005 4:18:13 AM

Evolution54 wrote:
> Roy Wrote:
>
>>Mark L. Ferguson wrote:-
>>This sometimes is a result of a policy on the pro machine that
>>disables the 'guest account' (not on the Welcome screen, rather in
>>Policy...GPEDIT.MSC)
>>
>>JSI Tip 4552. You cannot add and-or see printers in Windows 2000:
>>http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBJ/tip4500/rh4552.htm
>>
>>Focus On Printers and Windows XP:
>>http://tinyurl.com/cvk38
>>
>>How Can I Share All the Local Printers on a Computer?:
>>http://tinyurl.com/8hnn3
>>
>>-
>>
>>Mark, the printer I want to share is on the XP Pro machine. The
>>printer
>>icon there has the "sharing hand" beneath it showing the printer is
>>shared. My problem is trying to access the XP Pro machine from the XP
>>Home PC. I can see the XP Pro PC icon on the network from the XP Home
>>PC. When I try to Add a Printer at the Home XP PC and give the
>>address
>>of the XP Pro printer I am asked for a User name and Password for the
>>XP
>>Pro PC before the Add A Printer function will complete.
>>
>>Here is my problem. On the XP Pro PC I do not have a Windows Logon
>>setup. I don't want to have to logon to my PC. I think this is the
>>logon name and password the XP Home PC is wanting in order to Add the
>>printer. Is this your understanding? If this is so, is there a way
>>add that printer without the logon info being needed? I didn't have
>>go through this Add a Printer routine at the XP Pro PC in order to
>>share
>>the printer on the XP Home machine. I'm puzzled.
>>
>>--
>>Roy
>

> Is your printer using an USB connection? Also, make sure your firewalls
> are disabled or has exceptions for your computers on the network. Also,
> I am a little confused at the part you said "give address of the XP pro
> printer" part because what address are you giving it?
> From what I understand about printers, all you do is install the
> drivers for the printer, hook up the printer physically (in your case
> XP Pro) and share it. On the other machine (XP Home) go into Start -->
> Settings --> Printers --> Double click on Add a Printer and the wizard
> should start automatically. Choose the network printer option. In the
> next window, just click next (without having to type in anything in the
> Name field) and it should come up with a list of shared printers on the
> network. If none of this works, try looking at the permissions settings
> of the printer on the XP Pro and make sure Everyone has access to use
> it. Good luck

No USB connection. It is an HP-5P Laser Jet with LPT1 connection. Maybe
I used the address comment in error. When I tried to add the printer on
the XP home
PC, I had to say which printer I was adding. This required me to
specify \\XP Pro Name\Share name of the printer I was adding. After
doing that I was presented with a window asking for a username and
password in order to get access to the XP machine in order to complete
adding the printer on the Home machine. Which user name, password? If
it is asking for the XP Pro Windows logon username and password, there
is none. My XP machine boots to Windows XP with no username or
password. Also the permissions are to have Everyone have access to the
printer. The Windows Firewall is off and the Zone Alarm firewall has
the network in the Trusted Zone.

--
Roy
!