Can't access second level submenu items in Etheral

I am running on a Windows XP system Ethereal Versions 0.10.9 - 0.10.12 and
WinPcap_3_0. I can successfully capture and view packets, so the program
functions.

However, I am unable to look at any second level menu items (Such as
File->Export, Edit->Time Reference, View->Time Display Format, ...). When I
install Etheral on another Windows XP system I can successfully access these
menu items.

I know it is something wrong with my Windows XP setup, but haven't found any
conflicts.

Does anyone know what .dll's might be conflicting for accessing submenus, or
other recommendations on isolating the problem?

Thanx!
2 answers Last reply
More about access level submenu items etheral

    List the symptoms. What does "Can't Access" mean. There are armed guards, a padlock, the item is greyed, or doesn't respond but looks normal? You could always use Netcap from windows (yes that is a joke).

    Do you install from the same media where it works/doesn't (one licensed, one not or different versions).

    Do you have same security rights. Is the program, drivers, and services all running with same security rights (one component on one machine is running as NetworkService and on another as your ID)?

    Are the program options the same. Did you read their help file. Did you visit their web site? Did you type in google (MS censors the phrase "google is your friend") wincap menu? Did you post your question in a network group where people may use wincap rather than the newsgroup about the Windows Help feature (although that's so common that this is a defacto general group).

    Does the program use it's own of Window's capture driver. Which is the system using.
    "Throtston" <NotTheronscott@NotEarthlink.NotNet> wrote in message news:jGxNe.2362$Q82.1721@tornado.socal.rr.com...

    > I am running on a Windows XP system Ethereal Versions 0.10.9 - 0.10.12 and
    > WinPcap_3_0. I can successfully capture and view packets, so the program
    > functions.
    >
    > However, I am unable to look at any second level menu items (Such as
    > File->Export, Edit->Time Reference, View->Time Display Format, ...). When I
    > install Etheral on another Windows XP system I can successfully access these
    > menu items.
    >
    > I know it is something wrong with my Windows XP setup, but haven't found any
    > conflicts.
    >
    > Does anyone know what .dll's might be conflicting for accessing submenus, or
    > other recommendations on isolating the problem?
    >
    > Thanx!

    Thanks for the reply. Here are answers to the questions you asked me.

    1. "Can't Access" means - For example, when I left click on the main "Help"
    menu item, then attempt to left click on any resulting menu item that has
    another submenu item (Such as "Ethereal Online"), then it does nothing.
    This is true for every submenu of every menu item in the entire program.

    2. Install media/license - Three different versions of Ethereal have been
    downloaded from the same Source Forge site, and the program has a GNU
    General Public License. It also works on Windows 98.

    3. Access rights - I have administrator rights.

    4. Other questions - Read help files, posted questions on Ethereal user list
    with no results.

    5. Window's capture driver - ? Not sure what this means.

    Thanks - Throtston

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    List the symptoms. What does "Can't Access" mean. There are armed guards, a
    padlock, the item is greyed, or doesn't respond but looks normal? You could
    always use Netcap from windows (yes that is a joke).

    Do you install from the same media where it works/doesn't (one licensed, one
    not or different versions).

    Do you have same security rights. Is the program, drivers, and services all
    running with same security rights (one component on one machine is running
    as NetworkService and on another as your ID)?

    Are the program options the same. Did you read their help file. Did you
    visit their web site? Did you type in google (MS censors the phrase "google
    is your friend") wincap menu? Did you post your question in a network group
    where people may use wincap rather than the newsgroup about the Windows Help
    feature (although that's so common that this is a defacto general group).

    Does the program use it's own of Window's capture driver. Which is the
    system using.
    "Throtston" <NotTheronscott@NotEarthlink.NotNet> wrote in message

    > I am running on a Windows XP system Ethereal Versions 0.10.9 - 0.10.12 and
    > WinPcap_3_0. I can successfully capture and view packets, so the program
    > functions.
    >
    > However, I am unable to look at any second level menu items (Such as
    > File->Export, Edit->Time Reference, View->Time Display Format, ...). When
    > install Etheral on another Windows XP system I can successfully access
    > these
    > menu items.
    >
    > I know it is something wrong with my Windows XP setup, but haven't found
    > any
    > conflicts.
    >
    > Does anyone know what .dll's might be conflicting for accessing submenus,
    > or
    > other recommendations on isolating the problem?
    >
    > Thanx!

Support Microsoft Windows XP