service pack 2 installing - copy error

August 20, 2005 1:11:03 AM

hp pavilion ze4500 ,celeron, restored to factory default (about 3 times may i
add)

when i was installing the service pack 2, i keep getting an error that says
error cannot locate file or something, then retry or cancel, retry doesnt
work(it just pops the same error up), cancel says continue setup w/o
installing that file. then after that error i get another that says Setup
cannot copy the file >insertfile.dll< with another choice to copy files from
(enter a directory) and i tried choosing browse and selecting the file it
says it cant copy, but after i hit retry, it just stalls a bit and the same
error pops up (on a few occasions tho, it didn show the error and continued a
little bit, but gets stuck on another .something file)

is there anyway i can get rid of the errors or installing service pack 2
succesfully (when i cancel the installation, my computer says it cant
uninstall and it locks up reallybadly after it tells me to run chkdsk, it
wont start again after that so i have to factory restore it again)
August 20, 2005 8:22:08 AM

In news:D 48B55DF-DDF2-47F4-A3C2-8AAF880E4454@microsoft.com,
pnoyd96 <pnoyd96@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> hp pavilion ze4500 ,celeron, restored to factory default (about 3
> times may i add)
>
> when i was installing the service pack 2, i keep getting an error
> that says error cannot locate file or something, then retry or
> cancel, retry doesnt work(it just pops the same error up), cancel
> says continue setup w/o installing that file. then after that error i
> get another that says Setup cannot copy the file >insertfile.dll<
> with another choice to copy files from (enter a directory) and i
> tried choosing browse and selecting the file it says it cant copy,
> but after i hit retry, it just stalls a bit and the same error pops
> up (on a few occasions tho, it didn show the error and continued a
> little bit, but gets stuck on another .something file)
>
> is there anyway i can get rid of the errors or installing service
> pack 2 succesfully (when i cancel the installation, my computer says
> it cant uninstall and it locks up reallybadly after it tells me to
> run chkdsk, it wont start again after that so i have to factory
> restore it again)

Where are you installing it from? If you downloaded it try downloading it
again. If you have it on a CD make sure that the CD is in good shape. Order
a new CD (for free) from Microsoft, copy it, and give it to a friend to
share the wealth...

Links and some more info here on SP2...

Windows XP Service Pack 2 :
http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/general/winxpsp2.html

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes
!