service pack 2 installing - copy error

hp pavilion ze4500 ,celeron, restored to factory default (about 3 times may i
add)

when i was installing the service pack 2, i keep getting an error that says
error cannot locate file or something, then retry or cancel, retry doesnt
work(it just pops the same error up), cancel says continue setup w/o
installing that file. then after that error i get another that says Setup
cannot copy the file >insertfile.dll< with another choice to copy files from
(enter a directory) and i tried choosing browse and selecting the file it
says it cant copy, but after i hit retry, it just stalls a bit and the same
error pops up (on a few occasions tho, it didn show the error and continued a
little bit, but gets stuck on another .something file)

is there anyway i can get rid of the errors or installing service pack 2
succesfully (when i cancel the installation, my computer says it cant
uninstall and it locks up reallybadly after it tells me to run chkdsk, it
wont start again after that so i have to factory restore it again)
1 answer Last reply
More about service pack installing copy error

    In news:D48B55DF-DDF2-47F4-A3C2-8AAF880E4454@microsoft.com,
    pnoyd96 <pnoyd96@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > hp pavilion ze4500 ,celeron, restored to factory default (about 3
    > times may i add)
    >
    > when i was installing the service pack 2, i keep getting an error
    > that says error cannot locate file or something, then retry or
    > cancel, retry doesnt work(it just pops the same error up), cancel
    > says continue setup w/o installing that file. then after that error i
    > get another that says Setup cannot copy the file >insertfile.dll<
    > with another choice to copy files from (enter a directory) and i
    > tried choosing browse and selecting the file it says it cant copy,
    > but after i hit retry, it just stalls a bit and the same error pops
    > up (on a few occasions tho, it didn show the error and continued a
    > little bit, but gets stuck on another .something file)
    >
    > is there anyway i can get rid of the errors or installing service
    > pack 2 succesfully (when i cancel the installation, my computer says
    > it cant uninstall and it locks up reallybadly after it tells me to
    > run chkdsk, it wont start again after that so i have to factory
    > restore it again)

    Where are you installing it from? If you downloaded it try downloading it
    again. If you have it on a CD make sure that the CD is in good shape. Order
    a new CD (for free) from Microsoft, copy it, and give it to a friend to
    share the wealth...

    Links and some more info here on SP2...

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 :
    http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/general/winxpsp2.html

    Galen
    --

    "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
    its solution is its own reward."

    Sherlock Holmes

Factory Restore Windows XP