pilgrim_uk

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2003
pretty simple one this, when i log in under my profile and go to run the CMD.exe file in the run dialog box it comes up with the default path i.e c:\doc&sets\dave etc

any ideas how to change this?

i tried changing the %homepath%%homedrive% setting in the properties box of cmd but to no avail. Even making some changes in enviromental settings didnt change it. ( making the %homepath% c: )

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Use linux. I mean,

Don't use that directly. Make a shortcut. Use that shortcut. Whetever setting you change then, will stick.

There should be a shortcut called "command prompt" or something like that under accessories in you start menu. you can use that, and make changes to that shortcut if you want.

<b><font color=red>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."</font color=red><font color=blue> - Benjamin Franklin</font color=blue></b>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
make a startCMD.bat or .cmd file in the directory you want to be opened, write "cmd" in it, make a shortcut for your convinience, open the file.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Command prompt" does the same thing as you click start, run and type in "cmd"

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
No. You can make modifications to the "command prompt" shortcut, such as changing the startup directory, as the guy was asking. The change will not be reflected on the actual executable, which you would access directly by doing start->run->cmd.exe

<b><font color=red>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."</font color=red><font color=blue> - Benjamin Franklin</font color=blue></b>