how to restore DHCP.....

Hi,

I'm not sure where to look for an answer to this but.. I have lost the DHCP
on this XP Home Machine.

I was running wireless on this and a laptop but suddenly the wireless
dropped out.. I have bought a new modem-router and in trying to set it up
have discovered my problem is with the MS software.

Can anyone tell my how to get the DHCP software working again.. plenty of
posts about losing it.. none to remedy the situation.

Thanks Mo.
16 answers Last reply
More about restore dhcp

    Hi

    Is the DHCP Client Service running?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm not sure where to look for an answer to this but.. I have lost the
    > DHCP
    > on this XP Home Machine.
    >
    > I was running wireless on this and a laptop but suddenly the wireless
    > dropped out.. I have bought a new modem-router and in trying to set it up
    > have discovered my problem is with the MS software.
    >
    > Can anyone tell my how to get the DHCP software working again.. plenty of
    > posts about losing it.. none to remedy the situation.
    >
    > Thanks Mo.

    No.. and services says "Could not start the DCHP Client Service on local
    computer.

    Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

    Mo.

    Hi

    See if this helps:

    Right click on that Service and select Properties>Dependencies. Make sure
    that the Services in the top pane are running.

    --

    > No.. and services says "Could not start the DCHP Client Service on local
    > computer.
    >
    > Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.
    >
    > Mo.

    Mo,

    Type this in Start, Run.

    cmd /c sc qc dhcp >c:\dhcp.txt

    Then, open C:\dhcp.txt and post the contents here. By default, there should
    be three dependencies listed

    1. Tcpip
    2. Afd
    3. NetBT

    Do you have NAV/NIS installed?

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
    > No.. and services says "Could not start the DCHP Client Service on local
    > computer.
    >
    > Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.
    >
    > Mo.

    Mo,

    Type this in Start, Run.

    cmd /c sc qc dhcp >c:\dhcp.txt

    Then, open C:\dhcp.txt and post the contents here. By default, there should
    be three dependencies listed

    1. Tcpip
    2. Afd
    3. NetBT

    Do you have NAV/NIS installed?

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
    > No.. and services says "Could not start the DCHP Client Service on local
    > computer.
    >
    > Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.
    >
    > Mo.

    I do have Navsystem works installed Ver 2005 ..

    [SC] GetServiceConfig SUCCESS

    SERVICE_NAME: dhcp
    TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
    START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START
    ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
    BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
    LOAD_ORDER_GROUP : TDI
    TAG : 0
    DISPLAY_NAME : DHCP Client
    DEPENDENCIES : Tcpip
    : Afd
    : NetBT
    SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem

    Mo,

    The log looks fine. Are these files present in the system?

    C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\afd.sys
    C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\tcpip.sys
    C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\netbt.sys

    Note that all the above three drivers need to be started (not via
    Service.msc applet, but you can check in Device Manager > "Show hidden
    devices" option)

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > Mo,
    >
    > Type this in Start, Run.
    >
    > cmd /c sc qc dhcp >c:\dhcp.txt
    >
    > Then, open C:\dhcp.txt and post the contents here. By default, there
    > should
    > be three dependencies listed
    >
    > 1. Tcpip
    > 2. Afd
    > 3. NetBT
    >
    > Do you have NAV/NIS installed?
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
    >> No.. and services says "Could not start the DCHP Client Service on local
    >> computer.
    >>
    >> Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.
    >>
    >> Mo.
    >>

    > I do have Navsystem works installed Ver 2005 ..
    >

    > [SC] GetServiceConfig SUCCESS
    >
    > SERVICE_NAME: dhcp
    > TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
    > START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START
    > ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
    > BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
    > LOAD_ORDER_GROUP : TDI
    > TAG : 0
    > DISPLAY_NAME : DHCP Client
    > DEPENDENCIES : Tcpip
    > : Afd
    > : NetBT
    > SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem

    thanks Ramesh.. files are in those locations.. too late for me to go further
    now.. I'll try to find the start for them in the morning.. where do I find
    'show hidden devices' in Device Manager .. a quick look doesn't show em
    anything like that..
    Mo.

    Open Device Manager. Click View, Show Hidden Devices. Double-click Non-Plug
    and Play Drivers.

    Double-click AFD, and select the Driver tab.
    Set the Startup Type to "System"

    Repeat the same for these two drivers:

    - TCP/IP Protocol Driver
    - NetBios over Tcpip

    Restart.

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > thanks Ramesh.. files are in those locations.. too late for me to go
    > further
    > now.. I'll try to find the start for them in the morning.. where do I find
    > 'show hidden devices' in Device Manager .. a quick look doesn't show em
    > anything like that..
    > Mo.

    Many Thanks Ramesh,

    I didn't know that list existed! The driver that was disabled was "NetBios
    over Tcpip" .. I changed that setting and I now have things as they once
    were.

    For info, I lost the wireless after I uninstalled a Spybot update that was
    using "Tea Timer" and forever finding changes in the registry. Still using
    Spybot without that feature.

    Thanks and regards Mo.

    Open Device Manager. Click View, Show Hidden Devices. Double-click Non-Plug
    and Play Drivers.

    Double-click AFD, and select the Driver tab.
    Set the Startup Type to "System"

    Repeat the same for these two drivers:

    - TCP/IP Protocol Driver
    - NetBios over Tcpip

    Restart.

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
    > thanks Ramesh.. files are in those locations.. too late for me to go
    > further
    > now.. I'll try to find the start for them in the morning.. where do I find
    > 'show hidden devices' in Device Manager .. a quick look doesn't show em
    > anything like that..
    > Mo.

    You're very welcome Mo. Glad you got this resolved.

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > Many Thanks Ramesh,
    >
    > I didn't know that list existed! The driver that was disabled was "NetBios
    > over Tcpip" .. I changed that setting and I now have things as they once
    > were.
    >
    > For info, I lost the wireless after I uninstalled a Spybot update that was
    > using "Tea Timer" and forever finding changes in the registry. Still using
    > Spybot without that feature.
    >
    > Thanks and regards Mo.

    Error: Could not start the DHCP Client Service on local computer:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/dhcp.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > You're very welcome Mo. Glad you got this resolved.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
    >> Many Thanks Ramesh,
    >>
    >> I didn't know that list existed! The driver that was disabled was
    >> "NetBios
    >> over Tcpip" .. I changed that setting and I now have things as they once
    >> were.
    >>
    >> For info, I lost the wireless after I uninstalled a Spybot update that
    >> was
    >> using "Tea Timer" and forever finding changes in the registry. Still
    >> using
    >> Spybot without that feature.
    >>
    >> Thanks and regards Mo.

  12. Followed thios with interest as I have exactly the same problem. What do you do if the files are there but TCP/IP doesn't appear under 'Non P&P Drivers'?
  13. Quote:

    Error: Could not start the DHCP Client Service on local computer:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/dhcp.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > You're very welcome Mo. Glad you got this resolved.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
    >> Many Thanks Ramesh,
    >>
    >> I didn't know that list existed! The driver that was disabled was
    >> "NetBios
    >> over Tcpip" .. I changed that setting and I now have things as they once
    >> were.
    >>
    >> For info, I lost the wireless after I uninstalled a Spybot update that
    >> was
    >> using "Tea Timer" and forever finding changes in the registry. Still
    >> using
    >> Spybot without that feature.
    >>
    >> Thanks and regards Mo.

  14. Thanks KS - I had already seen that but it didn't do the trick for me because TCP/IP was missing and I couldn't find out how to put it back.

    I am now working again though and it was this tip that did it for me.

    Step #1
    Full uninstall of TCP/IP
    These steps are copied from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325356
    Locate the Nettcpip.inf file in %winroot%\inf, and then open the file in Notepad.
    Locate the [MS_TCPIP.PrimaryInstall] section.
    Edit the Characteristics = 0xa0 entry and replace 0xa0 with 0x80.
    Save the file, and then exit Notepad.
    In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections, right-click Local Area Connection, and then select Properties.
    On the General tab, click Install, select Protocol, and then click Add.
    In the Select Network Protocols window, click Have Disk.
    In the Copy manufacturer's files from: text box, type c:\windows\inf, and then click OK.
    Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.
    Note This step will return you to the Local Area Connection Properties screen, but now the Uninstall button is available.
    Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click Uninstall, and then click Yes.
    RESTART

    succesfull uninstallation of TCP/IP will remove numerous keys from the registry including
    HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services/tcpip
    HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services/dhcp
    HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services/dnscache
    HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services/ipsec
    HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services/policyagent
    HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services/atmarpc
    HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services/nla
    These represent various interconnected and interdependant services.

    For good measure you should delete the following keys before reinstalling TCP/IP in step #2
    HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services/winsock
    HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services/winsock2

    Step #2
    Reinstall of TCP/IP
    Following the above substep #13, replace the 0x80 back to 0xa0, this will eliminate the related "unsigned driver" error that was encountered during the uninstallation phase.

    Return to "local area connection"> properties > general tab > install > Protocol > TCP/IP

    You may receive an "Extended Error" failure upon trying to reinstall the TCP/IP, this is related to the installer sub-system conflicting with the security database status.

    to check the integrity of the security database
    esentutl /g c:\windows\security\Database\secedit.sdb

    There may be a message saying database is out of date
    first try the recovery option
    esentutl /r c:\windows\security\Database\secedit.sdb

    this did not work for me, I needed the repair option
    esentutl /p c:\windows\security\Database\secedit.sdb

    rerun the /g option to ensure that integrity is good and database is up to date.

    Now return to the "local area network setup"
    choose install > protocol > tcp/ip and try again

    reboot.
  15. I have a variation of the DHCP problem.

    The DHCP client is not listed in the services at ALL, whether viewed via msconfig or services.msc.

    The source of the problem is a repair to Windows XP Service Pack 3. After the repair I re-installed drivers for ethernet and wireless and no connection for either.

    Both incons just cycle through acquiring the network address.

    So, how do I get DHCP to appear as a service.

    I have checked that all 3 dependencies are present and set to "system".

    I have even tried to "add" DHCP by going to Add/Remove Windows components, selecting "Networking Services" and trying to chekc the box for DHCP, of course, there is no listing for DHCP.

    So, I need to restore DHCP to services for a laptop running Win XP SP2.

    Any ideas on how to tackle my variation on a theme?

    Thanks
  16. Thank you for your steps below, they resolved my issue that has been going on for quite some time with a lot of frustration.

    I really appreciate the time you spent writing this out.

    - David

DHCP Windows XP