XP SP1 setup on SATA drive

August 20, 2005 11:26:34 AM

I have a Seagate ST3160827AS 160GB SATA drive with NCQ (Native Command
Queing, I believe) technology which I am trying to install XP SP1 on.
I have a ASUS A8V MB with the latest BIOS. SATA bootrom option is
enabled. When I boot windows from another drive this one is seen, and I
can copy files to it.
The drive is partitioned and formatted using Seagate DiskWizard.

The Problem:
Whenever I Try to install XP, booting from the XP CD, I get to the point
where I choose a drive and partition to install to and I get a message:

"The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned
space on the computer.
(There is no disk in this drive)
Unknown Disk"

Any Ideas?
Is this possibly an issue with SP1 and a HD greater than 135GB? Do I
have to get a CD with SP2 on it?
I have tried patritioning it to 133GB to no avail.
Is there a problem with XP and the NCQ technology?

Any help would be appreciated.

Gil Seward

More about : sp1 setup sata drive

August 20, 2005 11:26:35 AM

In news:KWANe.808$zD3.713@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net,
Gil <gseward@pacbell.net> had this to say:

> I have a Seagate ST3160827AS 160GB SATA drive with NCQ (Native Command
> Queing, I believe) technology which I am trying to install XP SP1 on.
> I have a ASUS A8V MB with the latest BIOS. SATA bootrom option is
> enabled. When I boot windows from another drive this one is seen, and
> I can copy files to it.
> The drive is partitioned and formatted using Seagate DiskWizard.
>
> The Problem:
> Whenever I Try to install XP, booting from the XP CD, I get to the
> point where I choose a drive and partition to install to and I get a
> message:
> "The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned
> space on the computer.
> (There is no disk in this drive)
> Unknown Disk"
>
> Any Ideas?
> Is this possibly an issue with SP1 and a HD greater than 135GB? Do I
> have to get a CD with SP2 on it?
> I have tried patritioning it to 133GB to no avail.
> Is there a problem with XP and the NCQ technology?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Gil Seward

What are you doing at the point where it prompts you to press F6 to install
a SATA or RAID driver? Do you have the drivers for your drive on disk?

See this site for more information:

How Do I Install Windows XP On A SATA Hard Drive:
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_install_windo...

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes
August 20, 2005 2:51:49 PM

"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> had this to say:
> What are you doing at the point where it prompts you to press F6 to
> install a SATA or RAID driver? Do you have the drivers for your drive on
> disk?
>
> See this site for more information:
>
> How Do I Install Windows XP On A SATA Hard Drive:
> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_install_windo...
>
> Galen

Gil:
First of all your ASUS motherboard will recognize large-capacity drives,
i.e., drives > 137 GB, so that's not an issue here since you will be using
XP/SP1 to install the OS. Nor is there any issue involving XP & SATA drives'
NCQ technology.

I infer from your posting that you're *not* attempting to set up a RAID
configuration, but merely trying to install XP on your SATA HD. If I'm
correct about that, do this...

Making sure that your SATA HD is properly installed, disconnect your other
HD and boot up with the XP installation CD. There should then be no problem
installing XP on your SATA drive.
Anna
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 8:01:31 PM

Galen wrote:
> In news:KWANe.808$zD3.713@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net,
> Gil <gseward@pacbell.net> had this to say:

>>I have a Seagate ST3160827AS 160GB SATA drive with NCQ (Native Command
>>Queing, I believe) technology which I am trying to install XP SP1 on.
>>I have a ASUS A8V MB with the latest BIOS. SATA bootrom option is
>>enabled. When I boot windows from another drive this one is seen, and
>>I can copy files to it.
>>The drive is partitioned and formatted using Seagate DiskWizard.
>>
>>The Problem:
>>Whenever I Try to install XP, booting from the XP CD, I get to the
>>point where I choose a drive and partition to install to and I get a
>>message:
>>"The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned
>>space on the computer.
>>(There is no disk in this drive)
>>Unknown Disk"
>>
>>Any Ideas?
>>Is this possibly an issue with SP1 and a HD greater than 135GB? Do I
>>have to get a CD with SP2 on it?
>>I have tried patritioning it to 133GB to no avail.
>>Is there a problem with XP and the NCQ technology?
>>
>>Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>Gil Seward
>

> What are you doing at the point where it prompts you to press F6 to install
> a SATA or RAID driver? Do you have the drivers for your drive on disk?
>
> See this site for more information:
>
> How Do I Install Windows XP On A SATA Hard Drive:
> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_install_windo...
>
> Galen

Thank you very much Anna, after some fooling around I found a
MAKEDISK.EXE in the SATA folder on my ASUS cd, that disk installed the
needed drivers and all went well.
!