Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Inspiron 6000 question

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 14, 2005 7:13:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Just recently got an I6000. Running XP Home. It has the built-in Intel
b/g wireless. Whenever I am downloading something and close the top, it
shuts the wireless down. I also have an I600M, and this does not
happen. I "think" I have some setting to keep the download going, but I
can't remember where it was or what it was. All help appreciated.


TIA

Tom S.
Houston, TX

More about : inspiron 6000 question

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 14, 2005 8:08:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Control panel > power options > advanced. Change the setting to "do
nothing"

"Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
news:xuCre.1808$ks4.86@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
> Just recently got an I6000. Running XP Home. It has the built-in Intel
> b/g wireless. Whenever I am downloading something and close the top, it
> shuts the wireless down. I also have an I600M, and this does not happen.
> I "think" I have some setting to keep the download going, but I can't
> remember where it was or what it was. All help appreciated.
>
>
> TIA
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 14, 2005 8:48:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Yep, that rings a bell. Thanks.

WSZsr wrote:
> Control panel > power options > advanced. Change the setting to "do
> nothing"
>
> "Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
> news:xuCre.1808$ks4.86@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
>
>>Just recently got an I6000. Running XP Home. It has the built-in Intel
>>b/g wireless. Whenever I am downloading something and close the top, it
>>shuts the wireless down. I also have an I600M, and this does not happen.
>>I "think" I have some setting to keep the download going, but I can't
>>remember where it was or what it was. All help appreciated.
>>
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>Tom S.
>>Houston, TX
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 14, 2005 9:52:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

In article <xuCre.1808$ks4.86@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>,
Tom Simchak <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote:
>Just recently got an I6000. Running XP Home. It has the built-in Intel
>b/g wireless. Whenever I am downloading something and close the top, it
>shuts the wireless down. I also have an I600M,

How would you compare the displays on the i600m and the Inspiron 6000?
From what I seen (the local mall has a Dell kiosk with demo machines), the
display on the 6000 is much, much brighter. I'm trying to determine if
that's intrinsic to the display, or a result of the fact that the Insipron
has been on display for longer and has more runtime.

Another question, this one more general: does the i600m use the same
display as the Latitude D600?

Thanks,
Mike

--
http://www.mschaef.com
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 14, 2005 9:53:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

In article <7L-dnQ13b5cmwjLfRVn-2w@io.com>,
MSCHAEF.COM <mschaef_ng@mschaef.com> wrote:
...
>that's intrinsic to the display, or a result of the fact that the Insipron
>has been on display for longer and has more runtime.

Inspiron should read i600m.

-Mike
--
http://www.mschaef.com
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 15, 2005 7:51:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Actually, I think they're about equal. Since the 6K has a much larger
display, it may appear that it's brighter. I typically keep my
brightness down a notch or two to help with battery life.

I can't speak for any of the Latitude series, but from what I've heard
and read, the two are pretty much the same.

Tom S.
Houston, TX


MSCHAEF.COM wrote:
> In article <xuCre.1808$ks4.86@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>,
> Tom Simchak <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote:
>
>>Just recently got an I6000. Running XP Home. It has the built-in Intel
>>b/g wireless. Whenever I am downloading something and close the top, it
>>shuts the wireless down. I also have an I600M,
>
>
> How would you compare the displays on the i600m and the Inspiron 6000?
> From what I seen (the local mall has a Dell kiosk with demo machines), the
> display on the 6000 is much, much brighter. I'm trying to determine if
> that's intrinsic to the display, or a result of the fact that the Insipron
> has been on display for longer and has more runtime.
>
> Another question, this one more general: does the i600m use the same
> display as the Latitude D600?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 15, 2005 1:19:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

In article <vBNre.911$kX4.830@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>,
Tom Simchak <tgsimchak@gmail.com> wrote:
>Actually, I think they're about equal. Since the 6K has a much larger
>display, it may appear that it's brighter. I typically keep my
>brightness down a notch or two to help with battery life.

Thanks for the info.

It's too bad that Dell (and other vendors as well) don't publish more
LCD specs for laptop LCD's. The i6000 seems pretty unique in that Dell's
website has brightness and contrast ratio listed, among other things.

-Mike
--
http://www.mschaef.com
June 24, 2005 12:41:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:13:33 GMT, Tom Simchak <not.today@thankyou.org>
wrote:

>Just recently got an I6000. Running XP Home. It has the built-in Intel
>b/g wireless. Whenever I am downloading something and close the top, it
>shuts the wireless down. I also have an I600M, and this does not
>happen. I "think" I have some setting to keep the download going, but I
>can't remember where it was or what it was. All help appreciated.

Most Inspirons have the antennas built into the perimeter of the
monitor...basically the wireless antennae surround the monitors. From
what I know, Insp 2xxx series only have one antenna, whereas most
5xxx, 6xxx 8xxx and 9xxx/XPS series' have a main and an aux antenna.
Lowering the monitor might degrade the signal reception enough to
cause problems. Then again, it might be a software or BIOS issue.

Dan
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 2, 2005 8:34:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

helllo..

sorry i dont have an answer for you..

but i have a question..

what is the reach..of the built in wire less wifi?

how many meters...reach does it have..

thanks
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 2, 2005 8:34:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Range varies with environmental and architectural conditions as well as
signal strength from the source access point. Under "ideal conditions",
which means no obstructions of any kind in the way, and no atmospheric
interference with the signal, you can see reception up to 400 meters away
from the signal source. But put the access point in a steel, concrete and
glass office building and the reception distance can be drastically
shortened. In some cases it can come down to about 10 meters.

Of course, you can always use external antennas, signal boosters and all
sorts of other toys to grab wi-fi signals.

"appie" <ditwiljewelwetenhenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:42c6a5dc$0$42032$dbd4d001@news.wanadoo.nl...
> helllo..
>
> sorry i dont have an answer for you..
>
> but i have a question..
>
> what is the reach..of the built in wire less wifi?
>
> how many meters...reach does it have..
>
> thanks
>
>
!