Files and Settings Wizard

August 20, 2005 6:33:13 AM

Hi, perhaps someone can help me? I have a XP home computer on NTFS
partitioned discs, C & D, with programs and operating system, D with files
etc. Windows for some reason got corrupted so I reinstalled (and reformatted
the C drive). I used the files and settings wizard to save the stuff on to D.
I didnt use the manual option, just clicked both.
When i reinstalled windows, it asked me to set up user accounts, so i did
so. I reinstalled all the software i wanted, then ran the Files and Settings
Wizard (location, browse to D - I didnt quite know where the files were, so I
just put in D drive and it seemed happy with this choice). It ran (for ages)
but nothing is different, none of the user accounts have their old settings.
Questions
1) did i do correctly by setting up user accounts with the same names or
should i have not done so and left all blank with just one administrator
account?
2) how can i get the image file, which i can see on my d drive, to restore
the user settings?
3) should i go into safe mode and delete all my user accounts and run the
wizard again to see if it worked?

help!
thanks
help?1

More about : files settings wizard

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 9:00:32 AM

See & keep this excellent reference on File & Settings Transfer by Gary Woodruff
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

heather wrote:
> Hi, perhaps someone can help me? I have a XP home computer on NTFS
> partitioned discs, C & D, with programs and operating system, D with
> files etc. Windows for some reason got corrupted so I reinstalled
> (and reformatted the C drive). I used the files and settings wizard
> to save the stuff on to D. I didnt use the manual option, just
> clicked both. When i reinstalled windows, it asked me to set up user
> accounts, so i did so. I reinstalled all the software i wanted, then
> ran the Files and Settings Wizard (location, browse to D - I didnt
> quite know where the files were, so I just put in D drive and it
> seemed happy with this choice). It ran (for ages) but nothing is
> different, none of the user accounts have their old settings.
> Questions 1) did i do correctly by setting up user accounts with the
> same names or should i have not done so and left all blank with just
> one administrator account?
> 2) how can i get the image file, which i can see on my d drive, to
> restore the user settings?
> 3) should i go into safe mode and delete all my user accounts and
> run the wizard again to see if it worked?
>
> help!
> thanks
> help?1
August 20, 2005 9:00:33 AM

I've spent ages trying to find an answer to this, and did look at this one
thanx. However, nowhere can I find anywhere that tells you what to do with
user accounts when you reinstall windows! i.e. do i set up user accounts with
the same names etc? and even if the thing loses my user account info, it
shouldnt have lost my own info, but how do i get it back? what are the step
by step instructions for user accounts and then using FASTS
sorry, my kids are going to kill me for losing all their settings!

!