Files and Settings Wizard

Hi, perhaps someone can help me? I have a XP home computer on NTFS
partitioned discs, C & D, with programs and operating system, D with files
etc. Windows for some reason got corrupted so I reinstalled (and reformatted
the C drive). I used the files and settings wizard to save the stuff on to D.
I didnt use the manual option, just clicked both.
When i reinstalled windows, it asked me to set up user accounts, so i did
so. I reinstalled all the software i wanted, then ran the Files and Settings
Wizard (location, browse to D - I didnt quite know where the files were, so I
just put in D drive and it seemed happy with this choice). It ran (for ages)
but nothing is different, none of the user accounts have their old settings.
Questions
1) did i do correctly by setting up user accounts with the same names or
should i have not done so and left all blank with just one administrator
account?
2) how can i get the image file, which i can see on my d drive, to restore
the user settings?
3) should i go into safe mode and delete all my user accounts and run the
wizard again to see if it worked?

help!
thanks
help?1
2 answers Last reply
More about files settings wizard

    See & keep this excellent reference on File & Settings Transfer by Gary Woodruff
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    heather wrote:
    > Hi, perhaps someone can help me? I have a XP home computer on NTFS
    > partitioned discs, C & D, with programs and operating system, D with
    > files etc. Windows for some reason got corrupted so I reinstalled
    > (and reformatted the C drive). I used the files and settings wizard
    > to save the stuff on to D. I didnt use the manual option, just
    > clicked both. When i reinstalled windows, it asked me to set up user
    > accounts, so i did so. I reinstalled all the software i wanted, then
    > ran the Files and Settings Wizard (location, browse to D - I didnt
    > quite know where the files were, so I just put in D drive and it
    > seemed happy with this choice). It ran (for ages) but nothing is
    > different, none of the user accounts have their old settings.
    > Questions 1) did i do correctly by setting up user accounts with the
    > same names or should i have not done so and left all blank with just
    > one administrator account?
    > 2) how can i get the image file, which i can see on my d drive, to
    > restore the user settings?
    > 3) should i go into safe mode and delete all my user accounts and
    > run the wizard again to see if it worked?
    >
    > help!
    > thanks
    > help?1

    I've spent ages trying to find an answer to this, and did look at this one
    thanx. However, nowhere can I find anywhere that tells you what to do with
    user accounts when you reinstall windows! i.e. do i set up user accounts with
    the same names etc? and even if the thing loses my user account info, it
    shouldnt have lost my own info, but how do i get it back? what are the step
    by step instructions for user accounts and then using FASTS
    sorry, my kids are going to kill me for losing all their settings!

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

    > See & keep this excellent reference on File & Settings Transfer by Gary Woodruff
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
    >
    > --
    > Maurice N
    > MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > -----
    >

    > heather wrote:
    > > Hi, perhaps someone can help me? I have a XP home computer on NTFS
    > > partitioned discs, C & D, with programs and operating system, D with
    > > files etc. Windows for some reason got corrupted so I reinstalled
    > > (and reformatted the C drive). I used the files and settings wizard
    > > to save the stuff on to D. I didnt use the manual option, just
    > > clicked both. When i reinstalled windows, it asked me to set up user
    > > accounts, so i did so. I reinstalled all the software i wanted, then
    > > ran the Files and Settings Wizard (location, browse to D - I didnt
    > > quite know where the files were, so I just put in D drive and it
    > > seemed happy with this choice). It ran (for ages) but nothing is
    > > different, none of the user accounts have their old settings.
    > > Questions 1) did i do correctly by setting up user accounts with the
    > > same names or should i have not done so and left all blank with just
    > > one administrator account?
    > > 2) how can i get the image file, which i can see on my d drive, to
    > > restore the user settings?
    > > 3) should i go into safe mode and delete all my user accounts and
    > > run the wizard again to see if it worked?
    > >
    > > help!
    > > thanks
    > > help?1

User Accounts Windows XP