Windows Installer trying to configure Windows XP

First, my notebook has been working normally until yesterday afternoon.
Windows XP Home Edition was installed by the manufacturer and was working
properly.

But yesterday, when I started up and logged on to my computer, and everytime
since, Windows Installer automatically launches. It gives the message
something like: "wait while Windows configures Windows XP." Then the
installer asks me to to insert the Windows XP CD, which of course I don't
have since Windows XP was factory installed on this notebook. I cancel the
process and everything seems to work normally. Is there a way I can stop this
from happening?

I have tried Windows update and troubleshooter.

My system: Compaq Presario 2100, notebook. Windows XP Home Edition.
1 answer Last reply
More about windows installer configure windows

    robbroecker Wrote:
    > First, my notebook has been working normally until yesterday afternoon.
    > Windows XP Home Edition was installed by the manufacturer and was
    > working
    > properly.
    >
    > But yesterday, when I started up and logged on to my computer, and
    > everytime
    > since, Windows Installer automatically launches. It gives the message
    > something like: "wait while Windows configures Windows XP." Then the
    > installer asks me to to insert the Windows XP CD, which of course I
    > don't
    > have since Windows XP was factory installed on this notebook. I cancel
    > the
    > process and everything seems to work normally. Is there a way I can
    > stop this
    > from happening?
    >
    > I have tried Windows update and troubleshooter.
    >
    > My system: Compaq Presario 2100, notebook. Windows XP Home Edition.

    Wow your notebook didn't come with an XP CD? That seems pretty weird to
    me because you purchased the operating system, so you should have a
    legitimate copy of it. What happens when you wanna reformat your hard
    drive?? All the notebooks I bought came with the original XP CD even
    though everything was preinstalled when I got it.

    I believe your problem has something to do with Office XP. Anyways, I
    read some forums about the same problem as yours and some people fixed
    it by going to the Microsoft Website and searching for "Windows
    Installer" and downloading it. However, you have to go through a
    process to let Microsoft know that you have a valid copy of XP. After
    that process, you can download it and install it. What happened to the
    guy was the install coudn't stop the windows installer service, but
    after reboot, the prompts stopped.
    Another solution I read was to delete the file from the following
    directory:
    C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe
    Please make a backup copy of this file and store it somewhere else
    before deleting it. Hope one of the methods work for you.

    --
    Evolution54

Windows Installer Notebooks Windows XP