Whats a Code 42?

I am having problems - NO sound XP-onBoard sound Card
The device manager gives me a yellow "!" on Microsoft Kernal System Audio
Device
with the error message "Windows cannot load the device driver for this
hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the system.
(Code 42)"
No trouble shooting help is avialable. Any ideas how I get my sound back?
2 answers Last reply
More about whats code

    RMA <RMA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I am having problems - NO sound XP-onBoard sound Card
    >The device manager gives me a yellow "!" on Microsoft Kernal System Audio
    >Device
    >with the error message "Windows cannot load the device driver for this
    >hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the system.
    >(Code 42)"
    >No trouble shooting help is avialable. Any ideas how I get my sound back?

    Have you seen the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base?
    https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310123

    Try uninstalling the problem device and rebooting the computer. The
    problem may be resolved when it reinstalls.

    Are there any other entries in Device Manager with error or conflict
    flags? These also need to be checked out and resolved as they may be
    related.

    Also are there any entries in the "Other Devices" category? These
    need to be removed/uninstalled.

    With older versions of Windows it was sometimes necessary to boot into
    Safe Mode and then check in Device Manager as sometimes incorrectly or
    partially installed devices would only should up then. Haven't
    encountered this as yet with Windows XP but it might happen.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Code 42
    [[Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a
    duplicate device already running in the system. (Code 42)

    Recommended resolution
    A duplicate device was detected. This error occurs when a bus driver
    incorrectly creates two identically named children (bus driver error), or
    when a device with a serial number is discovered in a new location before it
    is removed from the old location.

    Restart the computer.

    On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the
    Troubleshooting Wizard. ]]
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310123

    42
    [[Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a
    duplicate device already running in the system. (Code 42) A duplicate device
    was detected. This error occurs when a bus driver erroneously creates two

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prjk_dec_lgsc.asp

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:D21353D5-F1F6-4489-98CD-ADF710A37910@microsoft.com,
    RMA <RMA@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I am having problems - NO sound XP-onBoard sound Card
    > The device manager gives me a yellow "!" on Microsoft Kernal System Audio
    > Device
    > with the error message "Windows cannot load the device driver for this
    > hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the
    > system. (Code 42)"
    > No trouble shooting help is avialable. Any ideas how I get my sound back?

Microsoft Windows XP