Stop error 0x0000007b - identical backup hardware(!) not a..

Awhile back I upgraded from Windows ME to Windows XP Home edition. I kept it
up to date with automatic updates, including service pack 2. Recently a
component on my motherboard (a toroid inductor, of all things) somehow got
fried & rendered the whole board useless. I could not find an identical
replacement, but I bought one
"pretty close to it" from a used computer parts store (that doesn't offer
refunds on used items). In the meantime, I was able to access the contents of
my hard drive with an external enclosure connected via USB to an ancient
laptop running windows 98. Though I could access my files, most were useless
because they were created with modern versions of the various software, and
few were backwards compatable with the earlier software versions installed on
my laptop. When I put my hard drive into its newly resurrected tower (with
the new motherboard) I was greeted with the stop error 0x0...7b. Well, I did
LOTS of research on how I might get around this problem, and, so far, the
answer seems to be: "If I wasn't smart enough to have the foresight to keep
identical backup hardware available (silly me), then I'm S.o.l." - a
collateral casualty of Microsoft's war against piracy. (Oddly, the
explanation given on Microsoft's website seems to have changed from 'It's an
antipiracy measure' to a lame excuse that "since XP can't be preconfigured
with all the possible hardware combinations out there, it is very unlikely it
will know how to communicate with your specific configuration. Sorry, kiddo.
Tough break." And yet during both the upgrade from ME, and a subsequent clean
installation on a brand new hard drive in the same tower, XP had no problem
at all figuring out how to communicate with my specific hardware
configuration. But I digress....)

So, my current situation is this: I've got a tower with two 40 GB hard
drives. One of those hard drives has a copy of the entire contents of my old
20 GB drive. I can not boot from the 20 GB drive (attempting to results in
the stop error mentioned above) but that is the drive that has all my
software installed. Yes, I realize I can reinstall all the software and
transfer my files to the new system. No, that is not a prefered solution. Due
to a variety of factors it would be an ordeal to reinstall everything, then
get the relevant updates (only some of which are still available online), and
re-customize everything to my preferences. I tried to use the files &
settings transfer wizard, but appearantly it doesn't support a transfer from
one folder to another on the same drive, or even one partion to another on
the same drive, or even an entirely different hard drive if it is installed
on the same machine as the destination drive. I have several obsolete towers
I can place the old drive in so that I can establish the type of connection
that is supported.....but attempting to boot that drive in any of those
towers results in the stop error. Plus, if I could boot up with that drive I
wouldn't need to worry about transfering my settings and files; I'd just keep
using that hard drive. (You have no idea how much love I'm feeling right now
for Microsoft.) Does anyone have any suggestions? BTW, I know I'm
overlooking something simple or obvious, and that my understanding of the
problem and the information about it I've discovered so far is just simply
wrong. Please help me anyway.

You cant boot up xp from the old drive on the new board,its not configured
for it,the other xp installation worked because it was installed on that
board.
From here,format a drive,install xp,in xp run the file transfer wizard to get
files from old drive.

"Goshmonger" wrote:

> [...]
> one folder to another on the same drive, or even one partion to another on
> the same drive, or even an entirely different hard drive if it is installed
> on the same machine as the destination drive. I have several obsolete towers
> I can place the old drive in so that I can establish the type of connection
> that is supported.....but attempting to boot that drive in any of those
> towers results in the stop error. Plus, if I could boot up with that drive I
> wouldn't need to worry about transfering my settings and files; I'd just keep
> using that hard drive. (You have no idea how much love I'm feeling right now
> for Microsoft.) Does anyone have any suggestions? BTW, I know I'm
> overlooking something simple or obvious, and that my understanding of the
> problem and the information about it I've discovered so far is just simply

First, thank you for your prompt response. I read it and attempted to reply
within a few hours after it was posted. Somehow, my response didn't get
posted, nor could I retrieve the text, which frustrated me so much I haven't
tried again until now. Anyhow....my problem is that I can not boot up with
that hard drive. I can access it with an external hard drive enclosure, but
not as the boot volume. When I run the Files and Settings Transfer wizard, it
first warns me to close all other applications before proceeding. The next
step requires me to select from 2 options; "This is the new computer I wan't
to transfer files and settings to" or "This is the old computer I want to
transfer files from". The first choice is obviously not correct, however,
selecting "this is the old computer..." will only transfer files and settings
from the boot volume, not a removable storage volume, which is what Windows
considers the external hard drive enclosure. (I realize that's not entirely
accurate because it will let me manually add files and settings for the
transfer, but since I don't know what files are necessary and where they need
to go in the new system for every thing to work right, this reduces the
wizard to a simple file copy utility.) Thanks again for your help.

"Andrew E." wrote:

> You cant boot up xp from the old drive on the new board,its not configured
> for it,the other xp installation worked because it was installed on that
> board.
> From here,format a drive,install xp,in xp run the file transfer wizard to get
> files from old drive.

TRENDING THREADS