User Name Change

How can I change the owner name and registration of computer. Example
Documents and Setting/MY Name. Registered to: My name etc.
7 answers Last reply
More about user change

    DrJoel wrote:
    > How can I change the owner name and registration of computer. Example
    > Documents and Setting/MY Name. Registered to: My name etc.

    To fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP,
    you can use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner

    and:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
    Version\RegisteredOrganization

    How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
    applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
    read the registered owner information dynamically, while others read
    it only during installation.

    The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
    _cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
    So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
    Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
    desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > DrJoel wrote:
    >
    >> How can I change the owner name and registration of computer. Example
    >> Documents and Setting/MY Name. Registered to: My name etc.
    >

    > To fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP,
    > you can use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:
    >
    > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner
    >
    > and:
    >
    > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
    > Version\RegisteredOrganization
    >
    > How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
    > applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
    > read the registered owner information dynamically, while others read
    > it only during installation.
    >
    > The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
    > _cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
    > So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
    > Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
    > desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).
    >
    > HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783
    >
    > How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151

    Thanks Bruce, I will try that.

    DrJoel wrote:

    > Thanks Bruce, I will try that.

    You're welcome.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > DrJoel wrote:
    >
    >> How can I change the owner name and registration of computer. Example
    >> Documents and Setting/MY Name. Registered to: My name etc.
    >

    > To fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP,
    > you can use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:
    >
    > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner
    >
    > and:
    >
    > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
    > Version\RegisteredOrganization
    >
    > How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
    > applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
    > read the registered owner information dynamically, while others read
    > it only during installation.
    >
    > The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
    > _cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
    > So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
    > Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
    > desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).
    >
    > HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783
    >
    > How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151

    What happens if I go into the registry and change the name every time I
    find it?

    DrJoel wrote:
    > What happens if I go into the registry and change the name every time I
    > find it?

    You'll probably affect some of this applications that read the
    information only once during installation.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > DrJoel wrote:
    >
    >> What happens if I go into the registry and change the name every time
    >> I find it?
    >

    > You'll probably affect some of this applications that read the
    > information only once during installation.

    OK I will think about doing that. Is there a command for find and replace?

    DrJoel wrote:

    > OK I will think about doing that. Is there a command for find and replace?

    Regedit has a Find option under its Edit menu, but there's no "Find and
    Replace" option. When editing the registry, it's generally much safer
    to find each instance of a string or other value and then consciously
    determine whether or not it need be changed than it would be to
    automatically and arbitrarily change every instance.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm