User Name Change

How can I change the owner name and registration of computer. Example
Documents and Setting/MY Name. Registered to: My name etc.

DrJoel wrote:
> How can I change the owner name and registration of computer. Example
> Documents and Setting/MY Name. Registered to: My name etc.

To fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP,
you can use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner

and:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version\RegisteredOrganization

How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
read the registered owner information dynamically, while others read
it only during installation.

The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
_cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> DrJoel wrote:
>
>> How can I change the owner name and registration of computer. Example
>> Documents and Setting/MY Name. Registered to: My name etc.
>

> To fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP,
> you can use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner
>
> and:
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
> Version\RegisteredOrganization
>
> How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
> applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
> read the registered owner information dynamically, while others read
> it only during installation.
>
> The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
> _cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
> So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
> Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
> desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).
>
> HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783
>
> How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151

Thanks Bruce, I will try that.

DrJoel wrote:

> Thanks Bruce, I will try that.

You're welcome.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> DrJoel wrote:
>
>> How can I change the owner name and registration of computer. Example
>> Documents and Setting/MY Name. Registered to: My name etc.
>

> To fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP,
> you can use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner
>
> and:
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
> Version\RegisteredOrganization
>
> How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
> applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
> read the registered owner information dynamically, while others read
> it only during installation.
>
> The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
> _cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
> So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
> Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
> desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).
>
> HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783
>
> How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151

What happens if I go into the registry and change the name every time I
find it?

DrJoel wrote:
> What happens if I go into the registry and change the name every time I
> find it?

You'll probably affect some of this applications that read the
information only once during installation.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> DrJoel wrote:
>
>> What happens if I go into the registry and change the name every time
>> I find it?
>

> You'll probably affect some of this applications that read the
> information only once during installation.

OK I will think about doing that. Is there a command for find and replace?

DrJoel wrote:

> OK I will think about doing that. Is there a command for find and replace?

Regedit has a Find option under its Edit menu, but there's no "Find and
Replace" option. When editing the registry, it's generally much safer
to find each instance of a string or other value and then consciously
determine whether or not it need be changed than it would be to
automatically and arbitrarily change every instance.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm