On a CD I have burned, the file/folder attributes are 'read only'. How do I
change them to 'archive'?

Copy them to your hard drive and then change attributes.

Files saved to CD are automatically listed as Read-only. When they are
restored to a hard drive they remain Read-only.

Once moved to the hard drive...
Read-only means nothing for folders. Only a file can be Read-only.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:7B2E4075-CF3D-4DFB-AF67-CB1321E252B9@microsoft.com,
rushar <rushar@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

rushar Wrote:
> On a CD I have burned, the file/folder attributes are 'read only'. How
> do I
> change them to 'archive'?

Right click the file/folder and then click on Properties. Not sure on
this because I am on a 2000 machine right now but if you do not see the
Archive checkbox, click on the Advanced button and it should show up.
Hope that helps.

--
Evolution54

Thanks Wes. This worked. It sure would be more convenient though if the
files on CDs were not automatically 'read only'.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Copy them to your hard drive and then change attributes.
>
> Files saved to CD are automatically listed as Read-only. When they are
> restored to a hard drive they remain Read-only.
>
> Once moved to the hard drive...
> Read-only means nothing for folders. Only a file can be Read-only.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:7B2E4075-CF3D-4DFB-AF67-CB1321E252B9@microsoft.com,
> rushar <rushar@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > On a CD I have burned, the file/folder attributes are 'read only'. How
> > do I change them to 'archive'?

Thanks for replying, but the answer is more complicated than you suggest.
See Wes Vogel's solution above. It solves the problem.

"Evolution54" wrote:

> rushar Wrote:
> > On a CD I have burned, the file/folder attributes are 'read only'. How
> > do I
> > change them to 'archive'?
>
> Right click the file/folder and then click on Properties. Not sure on
> this because I am on a 2000 machine right now but if you do not see the
> Archive checkbox, click on the Advanced button and it should show up.
> Hope that helps.
>

> --
> Evolution54

rushar,

I am unclear as to why you want to add the archive attribute to files on a
CD. Applications use the archive attribute to mark files for backup or
removal.

[[Archive file attribute is generally set when a file or folder is created
or modified. The purpose of archive attribute initially was to make back-up
operations easier and back-ups themselves smaller by indicating new or
modified files to back-up program which only stores files and folders with
archive attribute and afterwards clears archive attribute of files that are
backed-up. Then, in the next back-up procedure, files without archive
attribute are not included in the back-up archive.

Generally archive attribute does not influence behavior of most of the
programs and modern back-up software. However if you use an older back-up
program or another software which is sensitive to archive attribute either
in single user or shared environment, you might need to regard this
attribute as essential.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:04BB61D2-8933-4FE6-BED2-53F8F5C54F39@microsoft.com,
rushar <rushar@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks Wes. This worked. It sure would be more convenient though if the
> files on CDs were not automatically 'read only'.
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Copy them to your hard drive and then change attributes.
>>
>> Files saved to CD are automatically listed as Read-only. When they are
>> restored to a hard drive they remain Read-only.
>>
>> Once moved to the hard drive...
>> Read-only means nothing for folders. Only a file can be Read-only.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:7B2E4075-CF3D-4DFB-AF67-CB1321E252B9@microsoft.com,
>> rushar <rushar@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> On a CD I have burned, the file/folder attributes are 'read only'. How
>>> do I change them to 'archive'?

Wes,

I think I was just trying to make this more complicated than it is. I
wanted to add file information to folders on a CD-RW couldn't figure out how
to do it. Thought the 'read only' attribute prevented me from doing it. Now
I realize I can just send the files to the CD. Thanks.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> rushar,
>
> I am unclear as to why you want to add the archive attribute to files on a
> CD. Applications use the archive attribute to mark files for backup or
> removal.
>
> [[Archive file attribute is generally set when a file or folder is created
> or modified. The purpose of archive attribute initially was to make back-up
> operations easier and back-ups themselves smaller by indicating new or
> modified files to back-up program which only stores files and folders with
> archive attribute and afterwards clears archive attribute of files that are
> backed-up. Then, in the next back-up procedure, files without archive
> attribute are not included in the back-up archive.
>
> Generally archive attribute does not influence behavior of most of the
> programs and modern back-up software. However if you use an older back-up
> program or another software which is sensitive to archive attribute either
> in single user or shared environment, you might need to regard this
> attribute as essential.]]
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:04BB61D2-8933-4FE6-BED2-53F8F5C54F39@microsoft.com,
> rushar <rushar@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Thanks Wes. This worked. It sure would be more convenient though if the
> > files on CDs were not automatically 'read only'.
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> Copy them to your hard drive and then change attributes.
> >>
> >> Files saved to CD are automatically listed as Read-only. When they are
> >> restored to a hard drive they remain Read-only.
> >>
> >> Once moved to the hard drive...
> >> Read-only means nothing for folders. Only a file can be Read-only.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User