WInXP Home SP2 Freezing / locking up

I currently have the following hardware:
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (2.19Ghz, 512 MB of RAM)
Chaintech GeForce FX 5900
ASUS N7A8X-E Deluxe Mobo

I recently had a problem with my computer's power supply short circuiting, I
fixed this by upgrading from a 230v to a 480v power supply. Since upgrading
the power supply my computer has had an issue with running properly for more
than 10-120 minutes dependent upon which programs I run and how many of them
I run, i.e. if I run Microsoft's Windows media Player by itself generally I
might be able to get close to 2 hours time out of my computer before it'll
completely lock-up/freeze. I've checked heat and while my computer generally
speaking runs cool (based on how the air coming out of it feels and what it's
tools that came with my computer generally list the internal temperatures as
being). I'm not sure if it is either a virus/deletion of a necessary file or
two within windows that caused this (I've checked the microsoft site and my
WinXP Home SP1 CD and both report all necessary files being present and
uninfected) and I've run Microsoft AntiSpyware, Ad-Aware, and Trend Micro's
PC-cillin 2002 Antivirus and all have shown up clean so I'm currently under
the impression that my RAM may need to finally be upgraded (I'm currently
using 512MB), I may need to replace my HDD, or perhaps my motherboard has
suffered some damage in some form or another.

Any advice would be very useful, if I leave any necessary information out
please ask and I'll supply it as I can.
4 answers Last reply
More about winxp home freezing locking

    You may have affected the mobo by under powering it from the start??
    Have you updated the drivers for the video card, the mobo's bios? The cards
    fan/heatsink working ok..? How many fans are in your system altogether..? I
    have 5 80mm fans plus the 2 on an Antec TruePower 430w PSU.. Try this, remove
    the side panel, get a house fan too disperse the heated air in the case, see
    if the problem subsides.. Also, did you apply thermal paste to the cpu before
    attaching the heatsink..?

    j;-)

    "J" wrote:

    > I currently have the following hardware:
    > AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (2.19Ghz, 512 MB of RAM)
    > Chaintech GeForce FX 5900
    > ASUS N7A8X-E Deluxe Mobo
    >
    > I recently had a problem with my computer's power supply short circuiting, I
    > fixed this by upgrading from a 230v to a 480v power supply. Since upgrading
    > the power supply my computer has had an issue with running properly for more
    > than 10-120 minutes dependent upon which programs I run and how many of them
    > I run, i.e. if I run Microsoft's Windows media Player by itself generally I
    > might be able to get close to 2 hours time out of my computer before it'll
    > completely lock-up/freeze. I've checked heat and while my computer generally
    > speaking runs cool (based on how the air coming out of it feels and what it's
    > tools that came with my computer generally list the internal temperatures as
    > being). I'm not sure if it is either a virus/deletion of a necessary file or
    > two within windows that caused this (I've checked the microsoft site and my
    > WinXP Home SP1 CD and both report all necessary files being present and
    > uninfected) and I've run Microsoft AntiSpyware, Ad-Aware, and Trend Micro's
    > PC-cillin 2002 Antivirus and all have shown up clean so I'm currently under
    > the impression that my RAM may need to finally be upgraded (I'm currently
    > using 512MB), I may need to replace my HDD, or perhaps my motherboard has
    > suffered some damage in some form or another.
    >
    > Any advice would be very useful, if I leave any necessary information out
    > please ask and I'll supply it as I can.

    While the system was underpowered it seemed to be able to operate fine for
    the last (approx.) 1.5 years. However, 3 months ago when I tried to attach a
    2nd Hard drive, the computer couldn't supply enough power and we figured out
    essentially that it was running on just enough power to keep the initial
    parts up and running.

    Since putting the comuter together the video card, bios, and operating
    system's drivers have been updated to the most recent driver releases with
    weekly checks for new drivers.

    I believe the cards fan/heatsink is working fine, although about 5-6 months
    ago it did have a dust issue as I was out of compressed air and the
    environment was rather dusty to begin with, however, that was solved for the
    most part and the computer shouldn't need to be cleaned of dust again for at
    least another 3-4 weeks.

    Total fans are 3. 5, 2 on the new power supply, 1 on the processor, 1 on
    the video card, and one on the side of the right-hand side of the case.

    The new power supply is an A Power 12v ATX Intel P4 LED Power Supply (Intel
    P4/AMD Compliant).

    As for thermal paste, no. Probably should have however I did not and if
    that is the problem I'll probably be needing to do some more modifications in
    the near future. I'll see if opening the side panels affects how long it can
    operate (although it'll probably be a good week until I can get my hands on a
    fan that'll be close enough to my case to help cool it more so than the air
    conditioner in my room).

    Thanks for the info...hadn't considered that to be part of the problem
    previously.
    "Jaymon" wrote:

    > You may have affected the mobo by under powering it from the start??
    > Have you updated the drivers for the video card, the mobo's bios? The cards
    > fan/heatsink working ok..? How many fans are in your system altogether..? I
    > have 5 80mm fans plus the 2 on an Antec TruePower 430w PSU.. Try this, remove
    > the side panel, get a house fan too disperse the heated air in the case, see
    > if the problem subsides.. Also, did you apply thermal paste to the cpu before
    > attaching the heatsink..?
    >
    > j;-)
    >
    > "J" wrote:
    >
    > > I currently have the following hardware:
    > > AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (2.19Ghz, 512 MB of RAM)
    > > Chaintech GeForce FX 5900
    > > ASUS N7A8X-E Deluxe Mobo
    > >
    > > I recently had a problem with my computer's power supply short circuiting, I
    > > fixed this by upgrading from a 230v to a 480v power supply. Since upgrading
    > > the power supply my computer has had an issue with running properly for more
    > > than 10-120 minutes dependent upon which programs I run and how many of them
    > > I run, i.e. if I run Microsoft's Windows media Player by itself generally I
    > > might be able to get close to 2 hours time out of my computer before it'll
    > > completely lock-up/freeze. I've checked heat and while my computer generally
    > > speaking runs cool (based on how the air coming out of it feels and what it's
    > > tools that came with my computer generally list the internal temperatures as
    > > being). I'm not sure if it is either a virus/deletion of a necessary file or
    > > two within windows that caused this (I've checked the microsoft site and my
    > > WinXP Home SP1 CD and both report all necessary files being present and
    > > uninfected) and I've run Microsoft AntiSpyware, Ad-Aware, and Trend Micro's
    > > PC-cillin 2002 Antivirus and all have shown up clean so I'm currently under
    > > the impression that my RAM may need to finally be upgraded (I'm currently
    > > using 512MB), I may need to replace my HDD, or perhaps my motherboard has
    > > suffered some damage in some form or another.
    > >
    > > Any advice would be very useful, if I leave any necessary information out
    > > please ask and I'll supply it as I can.

    Well I did some thinking and interestingly I came to the conclusion that the
    problem had to be the 3v CR2032 battery on the motherboard as all the other
    hardware problems would have displayed other symptoms i.e. vid card would
    have left me either with visual problems or absolutely no visual feedback (as
    that's how it goes to the best of my knowledge when it comes to a blown video
    card(sp?), then it couldn't have been the HDD because I wouldn't have had
    windows if it were that, and it also couldn't have been my ram as while I'd
    love an excuse to purchase new ram during peak operation (moments before the
    freezing/locking up that occurred) my system was a stable temperature near
    them and in fact the only place it wasn't pre-freeze versus post-freeze was
    the lowerhalf of the mobo which was generally dead in temperature....so
    looking down there I got to thinking and remembered that when we hooked it up
    the mobo had been something that could have had any number of issues and was
    most likely old as dust as an initial varient of it's type but never sold so
    essentially collecting dust in perhaps the worst environment possible for a
    mobo that it can still technically "survive" in. So I recalled what I had
    heard from a friend around the time when I bought the computer and from there
    went to CVS, bought an CR2032 for $4 and my computer runs at it's correct
    speed, has absolutely no cooling issues, no memory issues, and thus far the
    only issues it has are that I should have tried to see if that was the
    problem earlier is KISS still holds true as that was perhaps the simplist
    hardware issue I've ever come across in the last 3 years.
    --
    I''''''''ll be sure to reply sooner or later.

    "J" wrote:

> [...]
    > > > speaking runs cool (based on how the air coming out of it feels and what it's
    > > > tools that came with my computer generally list the internal temperatures as
    > > > being). I'm not sure if it is either a virus/deletion of a necessary file or
    > > > two within windows that caused this (I've checked the microsoft site and my
    > > > WinXP Home SP1 CD and both report all necessary files being present and
    > > > uninfected) and I've run Microsoft AntiSpyware, Ad-Aware, and Trend Micro's
    > > > PC-cillin 2002 Antivirus and all have shown up clean so I'm currently under
    > > > the impression that my RAM may need to finally be upgraded (I'm currently
    > > > using 512MB), I may need to replace my HDD, or perhaps my motherboard has
    > > > suffered some damage in some form or another.
    > > >
    > > > Any advice would be very useful, if I leave any necessary information out

    A bad CMOS battery should have caused a loss of bios settings, as well as
    date/time discrepancies at startup (from a cold boot). The Windows time
    service must have been updating your clock, if your system runs 24-7
    (connected to the INTERNET) as most do, you might not see a CMOS battery
    problem until you shutdown the system completely. Remember, to overclock
    (depends on the mobo, CPU) your CPU or setting memory timings you use the
    bios, if it can't remember it's settings it is going to cause prob's all the
    way around..

    That's good news..
    j;-)

    "J" wrote:

> [...]
    > > the near future. I'll see if opening the side panels affects how long it can
    > > operate (although it'll probably be a good week until I can get my hands on a
    > > fan that'll be close enough to my case to help cool it more so than the air
    > > conditioner in my room).
    > >
    > > Thanks for the info...hadn't considered that to be part of the problem
    > > previously.
    > > "Jaymon" wrote:
    > >
    > > > You may have affected the mobo by under powering it from the start??
    > > > Have you updated the drivers for the video card, the mobo's bios? The cards
    > > > fan/heatsink working ok..? How many fans are in your system altogether..? I
    > > > have 5 80mm fans plus the 2 on an Antec TruePower 430w PSU.. Try this, remove
    > > > the side panel, get a house fan too disperse the heated air in the case, see
    > > > if the problem subsides.. Also, did you apply thermal paste to the cpu before

Power Supplies Computers Microsoft Windows XP