Unwanted automatic IE startup

At startup on a Win 98 PC, an IE window starts automatically, saying
first "res://ie4tour.dll welcome.htm", and then that the page cannot be
found. I have searched without success everywhere I can think of, in
registry, autostart and ini files, to find the command that starts
this. Four different startup control utilities find nothing I can
relate to it.

Does anyone have an idea about how to find and delete this startup
command?

Sven

Open Explorer and click the Search button. Select the C: drive under "files
and folders", and type in "ie4tour.dll" for the file to look for. When
Windows finds it, simply delete the file. It is merely an intorductory tour
file left over from a previous installation of IE and is not needed.
http://www.datadoctors.com/help/questions/question.cfm?id=2723

How to Cause the Internet Explorer Welcome Screen to Appear
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=175374

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1124568019.958548.311640@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
sbring <sven.bring@glocalnet.net> hunted and pecked:
> At startup on a Win 98 PC, an IE window starts automatically, saying
> first "res://ie4tour.dll welcome.htm", and then that the page cannot be
> found. I have searched without success everywhere I can think of, in
> registry, autostart and ini files, to find the command that starts
> this. Four different startup control utilities find nothing I can
> relate to it.
>
> Does anyone have an idea about how to find and delete this startup
> command?
>
> Sven

Thanks!

I had already searched for the DLL file without success, but the second
link you recommended had the solution.

Thanks again,
Sven

Glad to hear it. Keep having fun. :)