32 DDR vs. 64 mb non DDR?

gymscat

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Which would perform better on my system?....K7T266 Pro 2, Athlon XP 1600 +, 512 Crucial DDR...

Tia for any advise.

Gary

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
DDR. A GPU is starved for memory bandwith, so any increase in that bandwith is a big gain. Memory size will only limit the size in which you can run some 3D apps, but 1024x768x32 is doable with 32, and that's usually quite good and enough for most people.

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
DDR. It gives you higher framerates do to it's faster response. The 64MB SDR might give you more stable framerates at higher resolutions, but the average framerate will be slower.

Back to you Tom...

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Thank you Crashman!! Then why did you disagree with me in the other thread and call me stupid when that was exactly what I was trying to say?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

I would say pay the extra $$ for 64MB DDR. With the system you have 32DDR or 64SDR on you card could really hold you back.

But like the others said, it's all about bandwidth so go with DDR either way(especially since you have a DDR system!).

Save the children :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You probably told someone that a 64MB MX could beet a 32MB GTS. That will never happen, the GTS has a much more powerfull processor as well as twice the memory speed. On otherwise identicle cards, such as the Redeon 64MB SDR and Radeon 32MB DDR, the 32MB DDR card will always have higher average framerates, but I have seen them skip a frame or two at a time on extremely high quality apps, such as in 2001 where the framerate will drop from 70FPS to 13FPS for a fraction of a second before returning to full speed, which is still better than a constant 18FPS the SDR card with twice the ram might provide.

Back to you Tom...

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Um, Crashman, not once did I say that!!! I think you should look over my post and apologize.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
lol, I did say that but I meant I don't keep graphics cards for much longer than that time.

TRENDING THREADS