Upgrade from Win98SE

Went to upgrade from Win98SE and XP Home would not do this. I ended up having
to do a new installation.

Question:

Can and HOW do I access my old programs that are still on my computer...I
can see the files and everything? The installation created a new partition.

Before you ask...no, i did not back anything up. Yes I learned this the hard
way.

I need to access old files in MS Office, but when i try to launch the
programs, it tells me the program is not installed.

BUT, IT'S THERE!!!!!

Help, please!

Thanks,
Mark
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrade win98se

    All you needed was a "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows XP
    to perform an "Upgrade"? Why did you select "New Installation"?

    Data or Program Settings Are Missing After You Install Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313362

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Mark" wrote:

    | Went to upgrade from Win98SE and XP Home would not do this. I ended up having
    | to do a new installation.
    |
    | Question:
    |
    | Can and HOW do I access my old programs that are still on my computer...I
    | can see the files and everything? The installation created a new partition.
    |
    | Before you ask...no, i did not back anything up. Yes I learned this the hard
    | way.
    |
    | I need to access old files in MS Office, but when i try to launch the
    | programs, it tells me the program is not installed.
    |
    | BUT, IT'S THERE!!!!!
    |

    | Help, please!
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Mark

    I tried for nearly two hours to get the upgrade to take. I kept getting all
    kinds of errors,. I was told by someone at the "Geek Squad" at Best Buy that
    he has heard of problems just doing the Upgrade from Windows 98. I finally
    tried to do the New Installation and it took. I got the message during the
    install about ahving to create the new partition. Something about Fat 32 and
    something else.

    Anyway, all of the old programs and files are still on my computer. However
    I cannot access or launch them.

    Is this hopeless? Please tell me no1

    Thanks,
    Mark

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > All you needed was a "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows XP
    > to perform an "Upgrade"? Why did you select "New Installation"?
    >
    > Data or Program Settings Are Missing After You Install Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313362
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Mark" wrote:
    >
    > | Went to upgrade from Win98SE and XP Home would not do this. I ended up having
    > | to do a new installation.
    > |
    > | Question:
    > |
    > | Can and HOW do I access my old programs that are still on my computer...I
    > | can see the files and everything? The installation created a new partition.
    > |
    > | Before you ask...no, i did not back anything up. Yes I learned this the hard
    > | way.
    > |
    > | I need to access old files in MS Office, but when i try to launch the
    > | programs, it tells me the program is not installed.
    > |
    > | BUT, IT'S THERE!!!!!
    > |

    > | Help, please!
    > |
    > | Thanks,
    > | Mark

    You can access (view) the files on the Win98 partition. But you cannot now run the programs on it, as you know, because of several factors, one of them being important info being kept in the Win98 registry.

    First, you ought to insure you have saved all your critical files & documents to offline media (CDs etc.).
    De-install XP from that new partition (by using XP's Add-Remove Programs).

    Then using XP CD, Highly suggest you first choose and run "Check System Compatibility" and let it check your hardware and programs.
    A number of old programs will not run in XP. And some of your hardware may not be XP compatible.

    Guide to upgrading (or new install) Win XP at Aumha.org by Gary Woodruff
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Mark wrote:
    > I tried for nearly two hours to get the upgrade to take. I kept
    > getting all kinds of errors,. I was told by someone at the "Geek
    > Squad" at Best Buy that he has heard of problems just doing the
    > Upgrade from Windows 98. I finally tried to do the New Installation
    > and it took. I got the message during the install about ahving to
    > create the new partition. Something about Fat 32 and something else.
    >
    > Anyway, all of the old programs and files are still on my computer.
    > However I cannot access or launch them.
    >
    > Is this hopeless? Please tell me no1
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> All you needed was a "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows XP
    >> to perform an "Upgrade"? Why did you select "New Installation"?
    >>
    >> Data or Program Settings Are Missing After You Install Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313362
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> "Mark" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Went to upgrade from Win98SE and XP Home would not do this. I ended
    >>> up having to do a new installation.
    >>>
    >>> Question:
    >>>
    >>> Can and HOW do I access my old programs that are still on my
    >>> computer...I can see the files and everything? The installation
    >>> created a new partition.
    >>>
    >>> Before you ask...no, i did not back anything up. Yes I learned this
    >>> the hard way.
    >>>
    >>> I need to access old files in MS Office, but when i try to launch
    >>> the programs, it tells me the program is not installed.
    >>>
    >>> BUT, IT'S THERE!!!!!
    >>>

    >>> Help, please!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Mark