Add/Remove Programs does not show Change Remove buttons

The majority of the applications listed in the Add/Remove Programs menu
of the Control Panel no longer have the Change and/or Remove buttons
visible. Is there any way I can restore these without having to do
something evil like a restore?
10 answers Last reply
More about remove programs show change remove buttons

    <printdude1968@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > The majority of the applications listed in the Add/Remove Programs menu
    > of the Control Panel no longer have the Change and/or Remove buttons
    > visible. Is there any way I can restore these without having to do
    > something evil like a restore?

    Manually edit the Registry,

    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Uninstall

    Delete "NoRemovePage" or change the value to 0 instead of 1.

    Also check this key as well,
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Uninstall

    --
    William

    Neither of those registry keys were present.

    > Neither of those registry keys were present.

    This may help you then,

    Some applications in Add/Remove Programs list are missing Change and Remove
    buttons ?
    http://www.winxptutor.com/arpbuttons.htm

    --
    William

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    \SOFTWARE
    \Microsoft
    \Windows
    \CurrentVersion
    \Uninstall
    \<Program Name>

    There are no branches under the Uninstall in my Reg Edit

    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    > \SOFTWARE
    > \Microsoft
    > \Windows
    > \CurrentVersion
    > \Uninstall
    > \<Program Name>
    >

    > There are no branches under the Uninstall in my Reg Edit

    Are there any programs listed in the Add/Remove applet?

    Try a System Restore. This will restore your computer to an earlier point,
    for example, a couple days ago or a week.

    Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

    --
    William

    Thanks. I did a system restore and it brought the Change Remove
    buttons back. Any ideas what might have caused this? I have Norton
    Internet Security installed, Virus Protection and Firewall plus I use
    MS Anti-Spyware so if this was caused by spyware or a virus, I would
    love to know how it got past my safeguards.

    > Thanks. I did a system restore and it brought the Change Remove
    > buttons back. Any ideas what might have caused this? I have Norton
    > Internet Security installed, Virus Protection and Firewall plus I use
    > MS Anti-Spyware so if this was caused by spyware or a virus, I would
    > love to know how it got past my safeguards.

    You're welcome and I am not sure how it was caused. It could have been
    malware.

    Are you running these two programs as well?

    Adaware SE (free)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download

    Spybot - search and destroy (free)

    Try this web scan for malware and spyware.

    Trend Micro - Housecall (free)
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com

    --
    William

    Ad-Aware picked up a bunch of stuff. And with Spybot (just installed) I've
    got 17 more so far. What is with people and their stupid spy/mal ware...

    "The Print Guy" <printdude1968@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> <printdude1968@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks. I did a system restore and it brought the Change Remove
    >>> buttons back. Any ideas what might have caused this? I have Norton
    >>> Internet Security installed, Virus Protection and Firewall plus I use
    >>> MS Anti-Spyware so if this was caused by spyware or a virus, I would
    >>> love to know how it got past my safeguards.
    >>>

    >> You're welcome and I am not sure how it was caused. It could have been
    >> malware.
    >>
    >> Are you running these two programs as well?
    >>
    >> Adaware SE (free)
    >> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download
    >>
    >> Spybot - search and destroy (free)
    >> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    >>
    >> Try this web scan for malware and spyware.
    >>
    >> Trend Micro - Housecall (free)
    >> http://housecall.trendmicro.com
    >>
    > Ad-Aware picked up a bunch of stuff. And with Spybot (just installed)
    > I've got 17 more so far. What is with people and their stupid spy/mal
    > ware...

    One reason is Windows is a widely used OS therefore people that write these
    programs have a larger group of computers to infect. If Windows wasn't a
    popular OS then I believe you wouldn't have this type of problems occurring
    in a Windows based system on a large scale.

    --
    William

    Which is why I am a Unix guy.

Control Panel Support Microsoft Windows XP