Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Perpetual Yard Sale - ever see this?

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 10:11:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

While making my morning commute, I found an interesting sight. There's
a house - a small, one-story house along a highway - where there seems to
be a neverending yard sale. Starting in June, these people set up tables
and camp out on their front lawn as long as the sun manages to stay out.
I didn't get to count, but I would say there are at least five tables and
two bedsheets spread out on the lawn, *full* of stuff. The few times I've
stopped, they tended to have old clothes, uninteresting books, and tools
to sell. No games, so I moved on. But, the behavior confuses me because:

1) *Why* do they do this? Putting on a yard sale, even once a year, is
hard work. Cleaning out closets and attics takes forever, and then you
have to haul whatever doesn't sell back in at night. It's okay for
a one-time deal, but every weekend for three months? It's borderline
masochistic.

2) How do they not run out of stuff? Their house is pretty small, and it
looks like they have 2-3 rooms worth of stuff on their front lawn every
weekend. You'd think after two months they'd either sell everything
or give up trying. (you'll always see cars stopped, too).

Has anyone ever seen something like this before, and if so, could you
explain? Oddly enough, I see a similar sight on the road North, but
ironically, the extremely expensive-looking house only offers one table
of stuff.

Thoughts?

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com

More about : perpetual yard sale

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 11:59:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Yeah there was one down the street from me...

It was to a point where the police were involved since was always having it.
Stuff with be covered with sheets all the time. I guess she had it stacked
up in the garage. I 'think' they were going to pass a law that people can't
do it weekly due to traffic I think.

I stopped once and its just junk and wrinkled clothes... I stopped on a whim
before she was told to stop. I dunno looked like she had different knick
knacks.

She had a boxed Q*Bert table top arcade game. Knowing it was probably stored
in that garage for who knows how long I tried to talk her down from $10
(laughs) she wouldn't accept anything lower. Uhh hmm maybe it was recently
acquired and it was in decent shape.

Can't complain for $10 though!

Doesn't hurt to stop and take quick look even if it is junk.

Erik

>
> Has anyone ever seen something like this before, and if so, could you
> explain? Oddly enough, I see a similar sight on the road North, but
> ironically, the extremely expensive-looking house only offers one table
> of stuff.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --
>
> Aaron J. Bossig
>
> http://www.GodsLabRat.com
> http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 3:41:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

>1) *Why* do they do this? Putting on a yard sale, even once a year, is
>hard work. Cleaning out closets and attics takes forever, and then you
>have to haul whatever doesn't sell back in at night. It's okay for
>a one-time deal, but every weekend for three months? It's borderline
>masochistic.

Just a thought: the people don't live in the house at all. the house
is simply used as storeagfe for yard sale fodder so no need to keep
the house neat and organized.

>2) How do they not run out of stuff? Their house is pretty small, and it
>looks like they have 2-3 rooms worth of stuff on their front lawn every
>weekend. You'd think after two months they'd either sell everything
>or give up trying. (you'll always see cars stopped, too).

Maybe the people buys up leftover yard sale stuff locally (really
cheap) and then sell them at their own place at their marked up price.

>Has anyone ever seen something like this before, and if so, could you
>explain? Oddly enough, I see a similar sight on the road North, but
>ironically, the extremely expensive-looking house only offers one table
>of stuff.

Yes from the only place where I've hauled 5 CV's, 3 O^2, countless
2600 and NES decks and those were just systems. close to 250 game
cart total from the barn sale that never closes at all.

Their "barns" consists 3 standard sized single story barns (holds
about 6 SUV each), 4 sheds, and 2 "building" made from discarded
doors. THere were lots of things you normally wouldn't see anywhere
else if ever.
--
When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's already
too late. - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net
Related resources
June 13, 2005 3:52:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
> While making my morning commute, I found an interesting sight. There's
> a house - a small, one-story house along a highway - where there seems to
> be a neverending yard sale. Starting in June, these people set up tables
> and camp out on their front lawn as long as the sun manages to stay out.
> I didn't get to count, but I would say there are at least five tables and
> two bedsheets spread out on the lawn, *full* of stuff. The few times I've
> stopped, they tended to have old clothes, uninteresting books, and tools
> to sell. No games, so I moved on. But, the behavior confuses me because:
>
> 1) *Why* do they do this? Putting on a yard sale, even once a year, is
> hard work. Cleaning out closets and attics takes forever, and then you
> have to haul whatever doesn't sell back in at night. It's okay for
> a one-time deal, but every weekend for three months? It's borderline
> masochistic.
>
> 2) How do they not run out of stuff? Their house is pretty small, and it
> looks like they have 2-3 rooms worth of stuff on their front lawn every
> weekend. You'd think after two months they'd either sell everything
> or give up trying. (you'll always see cars stopped, too).
>
> Has anyone ever seen something like this before, and if so, could you
> explain? Oddly enough, I see a similar sight on the road North, but
> ironically, the extremely expensive-looking house only offers one table
> of stuff.
>
> Thoughts?
>
There used to be a couple of guys here in Columbus' south side
that used to have a yard sale every day. Their junk tended to
be whatever they fished out of the trash barrels around town, and
if it needed repair (like bikes), they'd do enough work on it
to get 'em running. And I remember in Ashland Ky years ago
where this woman had virtually a housefull of used books, so
she opened up her house to whoever wanted to look around
at them and buy what they wanted.
Actually, there is a comic book shop like that by OSU campus
called the Paperback Book Exchange. It used to be in a walk-in
basement but moved to an apartment building. The front room
has the new comics and some TPBs, as well as his register.
The middle room has back-stock, more TPBs and Japanese
stuff. Go up the (magazine-lined) stairs and there is a room
lined with old books and paperbacks of every concievable
genre. Every time I can, I stop in there (he also offers
10% off that week's comics).

--
New version of an old favorite!
The Briefcase Fulla Rant!
http://briefrant.com
It'll grab you and won't let you go ^_^!
June 13, 2005 4:43:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:11:47 -0500, "Aaron J. Bossig"
<linkvb06@SpammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net> wrote:

>While making my morning commute, I found an interesting sight. There's
>a house - a small, one-story house along a highway - where there seems to
>be a neverending yard sale. Starting in June, these people set up tables
>and camp out on their front lawn as long as the sun manages to stay out.
>I didn't get to count, but I would say there are at least five tables and
>two bedsheets spread out on the lawn, *full* of stuff. The few times I've
>stopped, they tended to have old clothes, uninteresting books, and tools
>to sell. No games, so I moved on. But, the behavior confuses me because:
>
>1) *Why* do they do this? Putting on a yard sale, even once a year, is
>hard work. Cleaning out closets and attics takes forever, and then you
>have to haul whatever doesn't sell back in at night. It's okay for
>a one-time deal, but every weekend for three months? It's borderline
>masochistic.
>
>2) How do they not run out of stuff? Their house is pretty small, and it
>looks like they have 2-3 rooms worth of stuff on their front lawn every
>weekend. You'd think after two months they'd either sell everything
>or give up trying. (you'll always see cars stopped, too).
>
>Has anyone ever seen something like this before, and if so, could you
>explain? Oddly enough, I see a similar sight on the road North, but
>ironically, the extremely expensive-looking house only offers one table
>of stuff.
>
>Thoughts?

Yep, we have an eternal yard sale here too. Never anything good
there, just clothes and odds and ends. They never take the stuff in
at night either, just throw a cloth over it and since none of it's
worth stealing, I assume nobody bothers it.

I think the people here who have it go around to other sales and
auctions and buy whatever's left over at the end of the sale for cheap
and then try to resell it.

But yeah, surely the profits generated from the perpetual sale aren't
enough to be worth the trouble.



-lugnut
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 5:08:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

In article <Xns9673C3415E3CElinkvb06SpammersWill@204.186.200.105>,
"Aaron J. Bossig" <linkvb06@SpammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net> wrote:

> 2) How do they not run out of stuff? Their house is pretty small, and it
> looks like they have 2-3 rooms worth of stuff on their front lawn every
> weekend. You'd think after two months they'd either sell everything
> or give up trying. (you'll always see cars stopped, too).

Ever see the rooms inside one of these houses? I have, and there isn't
room to breath usually. My question is where they got the stuff in the
first place, and why?
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 5:58:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Impmon wrote:


> Just a thought: the people don't live in the house at all. the house
> is simply used as storeagfe for yard sale fodder so no need to keep
> the house neat and organized.

NO WAY. I am in the real estate business, and I can tell you that they
would make much, much more money renting the house out than using it to
store junk to sell in the front yard.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 5:50:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

So you've been staying up late and ordering those 'get rich quick while
buying and selling property' videos and books from TV infomercials,
huh?... Yeah, I'd say that puts you "in the real estate business"...
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 12:03:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

I bought two pieces of property last week. Or, at least I put in two
offers that have been accepted and locked in. Just gotta get title
insurance and close.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:15:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

On 13 Jun 2005 01:58:19 -0700, "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com>
wrote:

>NO WAY. I am in the real estate business, and I can tell you that they
>would make much, much more money renting the house out than using it to
>store junk to sell in the front yard.

There is one house along M-46 that are used as yard sale storeage.
THe roof is really bad with maybe half of the shingle still attached,
half of the siding have rotted away and all of the windows on second
floors have broken apart. First floor windows are all borded up and
is presumed broken as well. I think the house is in need of serious
fixing up or be torn down, defiantly not liveable.
--
When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's already
too late. - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 1:02:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Thus midget guys would be proud of you!...

Just think, a couple of hundred more real-estate deals just like that
and you might be pulling in enough income to move out of your mother's
basement!
!