ATI's Truform vs ??? Geforce 3

G

well i've read many articles about radeon 8500 and geforce 3 since i'm still not sure which one to buy
anyways, i read about radeon's truform and i also read gf3 had a similar feature, but i oculdn't get the name of it
it said truform could only be used in games previously patched by their creators, and that gf3's similar feature could get the same results without having to patch any games

could anybody please clarify it?

ps:. i'm waiting till next ati driver release to decide which card i'm sticking to, probably r200 since it's cheaper

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well truform is really called N-Patches its a Direct X 8.1 feature that the Geforce 3's & Ti's dont have since it doesnt have any Direct X 8.1 feature thats too my Knownledge.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know if your video card can answer that question, it sounds like something you really need to ask yourself. I certainly like myself, but I wouldn't ask my video card that question.

Back to you Tom...

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Translation:
"I like my Radeon. Go Ati!"
Anyway, what you may be referring to is Quincux. However, I find that w/ OpenGL, there is no need for AA. The surfaces are smooth, even at 800x600 on my 15" monitor- and no it isn't cause I have bad eyesight- my vision is slightly better than 20/20.

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
Truform actually is not a direct x feature at all, as the only two games to date to implement it are half-life and recently UT, and you have to run either in OGL to utilize it. The UT patch was done by a third party not epic and he said it was very easy to code into the game, also direct x 8.1 was only released yesterday and ive been using the truform for three weeks now.

You`ll get nothing and like it.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Short answer:The GeForce 3 does not have an equivalent feature.

I have to admit this is the one thing that I find VERY tempting about the ATI card. Smoothvision/Quincux AA is all crap. If I want blurs I'll use my old monitor! TruForm however...that's some nifty [-peep-].

Alas the quake 3 benchmark cheats pissed me off and I bought a Ti500 instead.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
AA is much suckage.

The only reason we even have to deal with it is because 3dfx (god rest their souls) used it to take a stab at nVidia when the TNT2 started whipping on them.

In truth, 1280x1024 looks better then 800x600 with FSAA and they both run about the same.

EEEEEW! FSAA is so frickin ugly.

I'm done now.

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
I`ll tell you man, the weapons in UT look awesome with truform, health packs, ammo, even the bots( if you can get one to stand still for you), theres a glitch though, im getting this bar like extending out from my weapons, its random but annoying.

You`ll get nothing and like it.

G

Yeah Quincux that's it. well what about it, does it curve triangles just like TRUFORM without any patches?

G

well i talked to an experienced guy today and he recommended me a geforce 3 since i mostly (99%) use the computer for gaming... but i'm not decided yet.. maybe ati would be better since it's optimized for directx 8?

G

The GF3 was also optimized for DX8. The difference would be that the 8500 has 8.1 instruction possibilities. So now you have to consider which card you would prefer, taking into account that fact that few games even utilize all of DX7 possibilities ;) On paper, the 8500 is technologically a superior piece of hardware, but keep in mind that theory and reality often do not coincide =)

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
And you also get that annoying fact that drivers suck, and who knows what the next ones will be like. Just up the resolution, and there are no ridgies, hence no need for AA. Oh, and I have a Quadro DCC, so for me OpenGL in games run fast as hell and looks really nice. Hence why I try to only use it. Do you guys know if future games will be using OGL?

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!