scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Ok, i have my desktop computer and i want to erase everything on the
hard drive back to where it was when i first got it. I want either an
easy guide or someone to please tell me how to do this. I have looked
around a lot and cant seem to find what im looking for. :?
THanks for the help in advance :D

BTW - I cant find my windows xp disk either...

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-clear-hard-drive-ftopict411352.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1367989

"Scorch" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Ok, i have my desktop computer and i want to erase everything on the
> hard drive back to where it was when i first got it. I want either an
> easy guide or someone to please tell me how to do this. I have looked
> around a lot and cant seem to find what im looking for. :?
> THanks for the help in advance :D

Clean Install Windows XP

> BTW - I cant find my windows xp disk either...

You are going to need your XP Disk to perform a clean install.

How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326246 (For a retail purchased)

If the XP disc came with your computer, then contact the company or
manufacturer that sold the computer to you.

--
William

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"Scorch" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Ok, i have my desktop computer and i want to erase everything on the
> hard drive back to where it was when i first got it. I want either an
> easy guide or someone to please tell me how to do this. I have looked
> around a lot and cant seem to find what im looking for. :?
> THanks for the help in advance :D
>

> BTW - I cant find my windows xp disk either...

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-clear-hard-drive-ftopict411352.html

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

P.S.
Please tell your forum admin that the signature added by their
forum-to-newsgroup gateway is excessive. We don't care about a
signature claiming to conform to Usenet standards. Doesn't matter,
anyway, since the forum users haven't a clue on Usenet standards. In
Usenet, we aren't going to visit your forum so the link to the article
ID within the forum software is superfluous. The abuse URL is okay but
actually unnecessary since any abuse is probably going to get reported
to the source IP which will be where the forum software is running.

For e-mail, remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" passcode to Subject.

"Scorch" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Ok, i have my desktop computer and i want to erase everything on the
> hard drive back to where it was when i first got it. I want either an
> easy guide or someone to please tell me how to do this. I have looked
> around a lot and cant seem to find what im looking for. :?
> THanks for the help in advance :D
>

> BTW - I cant find my windows xp disk either...

Go to bootdisk.com and download the Windows ME OEM boot disk image and write
it to a floppy. Boot the floppy and run fdisk. REmove all partitions
including non-dos. Create a new primary partition reboot the floppy again
type format C:\ When that is done you have a brand new bald drive to load
any OS you want.

billy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003

I'm no expert but I believe what you want to do is delete the partition(s)
table. You can do this (and create a new one) from within XP Full Install.
I've never done it, but it's suppose to be easy, you just (usually) want to
create one large partition which takes up the entire drive space and mark it
as being active. I think re-partition is the keyword here and it should be
referred to as such by install. Knowing MS they call it something else.

Format won't do it. You need a new partition table to start from scratch.

Regards,
Billy