Sign in with
Your question

LMAO at some of you!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 9, 2001 1:34:51 AM

You won't buy an ATI card because it has buggy drivers. Hmmm, but you'll buy a VIA chipset motherboard? So you swear off ATI and still have problems. No wounder you need 2k or XP for stability....IT'S NOT YOUR OS, IT'S NOT YOUR CARDS, IT'S YOUR CRAPPY MOTHERBOARD! Not that ATI hasn't has it's share of driver problems, but those are just a drop in the bucket compared to VIA's!

Back to you Tom...

More about : lmao

November 9, 2001 1:39:35 AM

What about those of us who won't buy an ATI card because it has buggy drivers, and don't own a VIA chipset?

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 9, 2001 1:59:25 AM

Read the last three words of the title, it doesn't apply to you.

Back to you Tom...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 9, 2001 2:33:45 AM

Crash, even though I don't have a via chipset, I still use Win2k. It's just more stable over all and 3DSMAX runs way better on it.

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 9, 2001 2:39:34 AM

I thrash my system day in, day out, and never have a stability problem.

Back to you Tom...
November 9, 2001 3:43:28 AM

Interesting.

The most unstable system I've ever delt with is my old P2B MB (BX440) in 98 running any detonator driver with my old STB 4400 (TNT). 3D didn't work, and after a reboot, I would have to reinstall the drivers for the card again.

Granted, I fixed it by putting in the manufacturer's drivers. However, if I remember right, the BX440 was one of the best chipsets Intel put out, and Nvidia is quite good at putting out drivers. Also note that this problem doesn't happen in 2000, just in 98.

Stability comes down to a complete system setup. ATI may make bad drivers, but you can get a system stable with them. Via chipsets may do strange things, but you can still stablize the system. And things can always go the other way.

However, he does have a point. If you're going to criticize a manufacturer for stability, don't turn a blind eye when one dearer to your heart has similar issues.

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 9, 2001 4:50:56 AM

I thought I was the only one who remembered back to the days when nVidia made garbage drivers!

Back to you Tom...
November 9, 2001 5:57:02 AM

My wife runs a kg7 raid, and I am getting a nforce so I am not succeptable to the notorious via instability. I wont buy the 8500 for more than just instable drivers though.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
November 9, 2001 10:22:37 AM

I dont know about the Nforce well i would look into the SiS 735. I hear the Nforce drivers are a little buggy.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
November 9, 2001 10:25:29 AM

First release drivers are always slightly buggy, but the reviews I have read about the noforce show quite nice stability.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
November 9, 2001 1:34:35 PM

Crash, I've used a several VIA products on both AMD and Intel platforms and I've never had stability problems. When I started using Win2k, the occasional crash or freeze disappeared entirely. I did, however, have a Rage 128 from ATI that royally sucked and caused problems all the time, due to ATI's crappy driver support for that card. I have not purchased a card from ATI since, and I won't do so until it becomes obvious they're producing good drivers on a consistent basis. As far as VIA goes... never had a problem. Oh... and I was a little hasty about the Win2k statement - there is a computer in this house on a i810 motherboard that still sucks ass and freezes in Win2k.

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky
November 9, 2001 2:55:39 PM

Hehe, actualy, this was 3 weeks ago. The new Detonator Drivers, and the old ones, don't like my old TNT card in 98.

However, that does go to show that things do cycle in computers. Companies that have had driver issues before can get better, and companies that usually make good products can start to go bad.

History isn't everything, especialy when ancient history in the computer world is 10 years ago.

486/SX 25 @ 256. Anyone have any dry ice to cool down the system?
November 9, 2001 6:34:20 PM

VIA chipset are not that unstable as people say they are, if you had a problam with them then just be specific.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
November 9, 2001 9:30:12 PM

Crashman, is a system refurbisher. He uses many older specialized parts which may have unreoslved issues with soem via chipsets. That is why he hates via, for the rest of us who use more modern hardware via when properly installed and configured, works smoothly and without any issues.

PS: that was not an attack on crashman, merely an attempt to illuminate why he dislikes via so much.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 9, 2001 9:30:30 PM

The TNT worked OK with the original Detonator drivers. The TNT2 worked OK with the Detonator 2's. Neither worked well with the Detonator 3's on most systems. A weird tidbit-although Detonator 3's are known to cause problems with TNT2's on many systems, I tried this combination on a BX board and it worked fine. Later I tried the same combination on an ALi and then an LX board and it didn't work at all!

Back to you Tom...
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 9, 2001 9:47:59 PM

I think I posted my VIA complaints about 6 months back, I went into quite some detail, I don't feel like going through a list of them because I'm sure I'd miss something. But feel free to look through my post and debate any of the problems I previously mentioned.

Back to you Tom...
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 9, 2001 9:55:55 PM

i810 was made to suck ass, it was Intel's attempt to compete with those old crappy SiS chipsets on low quality for a low price. It was probably a lot of work for Intel to make it suck so bad.

Back to you Tom...
November 10, 2001 12:03:38 AM

You obviously dont know how to put a system together if you have all of these problems with VIA chipsets. Its what I do for a living and use 95% VIA and have no problems at all, with all sorts of configurations.

Blame the newbies not the technology
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2001 12:06:56 AM

Your an amature, trolling for VIA, you have no understanding that supporting AMD does not mean supporting VIA. There are other alternatives. If you had as much experience as you claim, you would have seen problems at least once in a while. I'd be surprised if you even knew what a computer was, you probably call the monitor a computer and a computer a hard drive.

Back to you Tom...
November 10, 2001 12:08:26 AM

Im a troll huh and all u do is flame via, D!CK. You cant seem to get one via based computer working, and I have problems. Get a life , and u are the TROLL

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2001 12:08:35 AM

Oh, I should mention that one of my sidelines is fixing systems that so called "techs" like you screw up. So because I'm willing to place the blame for configuration problems many users have had on VIA rather than AMD, I'm a "dick"? Gee thanks. I did notice that problems that have plagued AMD/VIA systems also plagues some Intel/VIA systems, so rather than blame AMD as some do, I know enough to blame VIA!

Back to you Tom...
November 10, 2001 12:10:38 AM

FIX ROFLMAO, you cant even get one VIA systems going HAHAHAHA. And you call me a troll for defending VIA, not once did I go around cutting up any computer related device. goof

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2001 12:45:07 AM

This forum defines a troll as someone who stands for a one sided position beyond reason. I support a lot of chipset manufacturers-ALi, SiS, Intel, and I'm even hopefull about nVidia. So you can't say I'm tolling for Intel chipsets. But I can say your trolling for VIA, thanks for stating your position up front.
And I do sell used VIA chipset systems on occasion, like when someone trades something in. I don't intentionally buy their problems. But I do fix configuration problems for a local shop.

Back to you Tom...
November 10, 2001 12:51:18 AM

Look pal, I don't hate any chipsets at all. I just don't understand how you are having so many problems with them.

"This forum defines a troll as someone who stands for a one sided position beyond reason."

What do u define as beyond reason?

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2001 1:41:06 AM

Beyond reason, in this situation-denying the obvious faults in a certain product or assigning faults where none exist, in an effort to support one product. Look at my post in maybe January, February, and March. I'm fairly certain that's when I listed problems that I found almost universally in VIA chipsets. Most were fixable, some were not. Fixable problems are still unacceptable when they require expert effort to accomplish, as most home builders are not experts and users should be able to reload their own systems/update their own BIOS, etc.
Try running a Vortex2 card in a VIA chipset system, the issue that affects this card affects many other products to a lesser degree. I'm fairly certain I listed components that would not work together under the VIA chipset, and companents that would not work regardless of other cards, on one of my post.
The data integrety problems noticed on the 686B did not affect that chip alone, but VIA chipsets all the way back to at least 1998. And the problem was not agrivated by only the Creative Blaster Live, but by many other sommon components. For example I had a system that would not configure properly until I went into BIOS and configured all the devices manually. Then it was only stable for about two weeks, and would then crash hard with so much data loss I would have to do a full installation to get it back up.

Back to you Tom...
November 10, 2001 1:45:24 AM

Now now, both of you say sorry and make up, no more personal insults from either of you.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
November 10, 2001 1:46:30 AM

I happen to be running an Aureal Vortex 2 Superquad 8830 optical as I type. I respect your opinion, but when someone disagrees you fly off the handle like a child with a temper tandrum. Dude relax, their only computers man.

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2001 1:57:16 AM

Hello? I just didn't care for your insolence. OK so of all the computers I've done maybe a couple hundred had VIA chipsets. Maybe 5-10% of those had severe problems that were directly caused by the chipset. But when you see the same exact problems happening over and over throughout a manufacturer's lifetime, you start to wonder why they don't fix them.

Back to you Tom...
November 10, 2001 1:57:19 AM

You won't buy an ATI card because it has buggy drivers. Hmmm, but you'll buy a VIA chipset motherboard? So you swear off ATI and still have problems. No wounder you need 2k or XP for stability....IT'S NOT YOUR OS, IT'S NOT YOUR CARDS, IT'S YOUR CRAPPY MOTHERBOARD! Not that ATI hasn't has it's share of driver problems, but those are just a drop in the bucket compared to VIA's!

Tout est relatif mon grand

Wisdom dont come with time
Meilleur chance la prochaine fois
November 10, 2001 2:06:15 AM

I agree that ATI has it's share of problems but so try to stay away from ATI because of it's off standard memory address usage. It is true that I am only stating my personal experience. I guess that I have just become somewhat of an expert on the VIA based boards, and found a suitable fix that is just second nature to me that I don't even think about anymore

November 10, 2001 2:16:50 AM

Hauppauge WinTV with VIA ...need I say more?

<font color=blue>Another waste of bandwidth on the web. :tongue: </font color=blue>
November 10, 2001 2:20:04 AM

I have only worked with a couple of that tuner, but when I installed them it worked out just fine. Luck? Maybe but hey

November 10, 2001 4:07:11 AM

Insolenece? heh.

All hail crashman the king of the forum.

::kneels::

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2001 5:28:01 AM

Thanks! I'm glad someone remembered!

Back to you Tom...
November 10, 2001 11:24:44 AM

I think that title should go to FatBurger now, considering he's a bandwidth hog and all, hehe.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
November 10, 2001 12:53:57 PM

I was kind of being sarcastic.

But after looking up insolence I find it means to be insultingly contemptuous.

I was under the impression to be insolent was to
"show disrespect for someone of a higher class"

Like being insolent to a king, however my understanding of the term was wrong, so crash was not being arrogant thinking he was the king of the forum as I thought.

My humblest apologies your majesty.

::bows and retreats before king crash has him beheaded for his insolence::

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
November 10, 2001 3:17:36 PM

your a dork, a baffoon, retard, fat ass, brat, immature, i bet you're a virgin, ugly, troll looking, fart ass, zit face, clumsy ass dork who has nothing better to do with his time then start a worthless pointless stupid flamewar!

:)  two can play the game sonny boy! the guy made his opinion and then you flamed at him.... talk about seeking some AMA - Angry Management Anonymous :) 

get some booty maybe you won't be soo angry lol

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2001 6:06:49 PM

Sorry, I'm a flat ass, I'm married, too old for acne, and I didn't start the flame, he did.
As for the rest of what you said, that would be a matter of opinion:^)

Back to you Tom...
November 10, 2001 6:20:48 PM

The hissy fit level here has gotten waaaaay too high.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2001 6:20:59 PM

LMAO at Matisario, and it has nothing to do with ATI or VIA!

Back to you Tom...
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2001 6:43:47 PM

I'm just having fun! Sorry if it annoys you. Wait, no I'm not, if you were that annoyed you would quit reading it! :^)

Back to you Tom...
November 10, 2001 9:27:45 PM

Thank you. I am not here to start a war, I just wanna discuss thats all, I am curious. But he flies off the handle pretty quick when someone dissagrees with him

November 11, 2001 6:09:10 AM

Crash, what post of mine are you laughing at?

and its Matisaro, no I.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 11, 2001 6:20:16 AM

"::bows and retreats before king crash has him beheaded for his insolence::" Laughed so hard I almost split something!

Back to you Tom...
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 11, 2001 6:30:44 AM

"I am not here to start a war" Let's look up a little higher at your very first comment to me:
"You obviously dont know how to put a system together if you have all of these problems with VIA chipsets. Its what I do for a living and use 95% VIA and have no problems at all, with all sorts of configurations."
Uh, either you were lying in that first post about how much experience you have, or you were lying about never having a problem. I don't like lyers, which is why I labled you a troll. Trolls make up things instead of presenting facts. Your attempt at trying to show "maturity" towards the end of this thread does nothing to win people over who actually read the middle of the thread. Please keep your opinions to yourself as I present the facts!

Back to you Tom...
November 11, 2001 4:59:57 PM

I think the whole problem here is a problem of people being closed-minded. Crashman, you obviously do not like VIA and nobody will change your mind about that. Well, that's too bad, because where VIA used to suck, they have cleaned up your act. A while back, I may have agreed with you on your opinion of VIA, but they don't have problems anymore like they used to. I too can say that I've been working with VIA for a sufficient amount of time to see what is going on, but I've never had a problem that wasn't easily fixable. I think what AMD_cErTiFiEd meant when he said that he has never had a problem was that he has never had a problem that wasn't rather easy to fix. So maybe he is right. Maybe the problem is not in VIA but in the user of VIA's products. At the last place I worked we called this a user issue. Do your homework instead of b!tching about the problems VIA has and maybe you will enjoy, as we do, a problem free product too.

Cheers!

Studies show that the human brain approaches 100 percent retention.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 11, 2001 5:37:26 PM

As previously stated, I have in the past presented a lot of technical information concerning configuration problems/driver incompatability/stability problems. But I really didn't wish to relist such details. What I did notice is that card manufacturers have designed their products around VIA's problems recently. So that seems just wonderfull if all your devices are less than a year old.
I remeber when people would shuffle their cards around until they had a configuration that almost worked right, and then reseve IRQ's and manually configure their slots to finally make it work. This was only a few months back.
People have given up a lot of great hardware for the sake of stability on a certain system. This should never have to happen. It simply shows that if you want something bad enough, you'll give up other stuff to get it. A company like VIA should have never become powerfull enough to gather this support from it's customers.
The problems VIA has had with their PCI bus usually deal with timing issues. The problems with the Vortex2 that usually came up was that the soundcard would send a signal out and not get a response from the chipset before the next signal was introduced. This slow response from the chipset could cause a data loop that would lock up at least the soundcard driver if not the whole system. These timing issues still exist, newer drivers simply have slowed down the cards to the point that they work with VIA chipsets.
No company should have to sacrifice the performance of their cards in order to make them work on VIA chipsets. But they do, because it's come to the point where customers assume if a card doesn't work, it's the card's problem. VIA knew if they never fixed the problem companies would eventually be forced to design other hardware to compensate.
The data integrety problems of the 686B go back at least to 1998 with the MVP3 chipset. Back then relatively new hardware would have resource conflicts with other relatively new hardware, which could be corrected through trial and error. I learned quickly what worked. But even after making a system stable, the information on the hard drive would still slowly degrade until the system was no longer usable. I beleive Win2k adds a certain amount of redundency which reduces the problem. But why should anyone be forced to use Win2k on their VIA system when 98SE worked on their ALi and Intel systems?
Then there's the issue of the notorious 4-in-1's. Most of the systems I get in for repair where the shop "couldn't figure it out" have problems in this area. I put several versions of the 4-in-1's on the hard drive and try loading different versions until one finally works. It's seldom the newest one that works. If a newbe had to do this, he'd be lost.

Back to you Tom...
November 11, 2001 9:29:07 PM

Quote:
I remeber when people would shuffle their cards around until they had a configuration that almost worked right, and then reseve IRQ's and manually configure their slots to finally make it work. This was only a few months back.

I haven't had to do that for years!
Quote:
People have given up a lot of great hardware for the sake of stability on a certain system.

I have never had to give up hardware for the sake of stability.
Quote:
Then there's the issue of the notorious 4-in-1's. Most of the systems I get in for repair where the shop "couldn't figure it out" have problems in this area. I put several versions of the 4-in-1's on the hard drive and try loading different versions until one finally works.

Again, I haven't seen this problem either.
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I think you're making it out to be more prominent than it really is.
As for stability, I am STILL the owner of one of the first boards on the market to support the Thunderbird, MSI K7T Pro. Read any review on this board and you will find that virtually everyone to review it regards it as one of the most stable boards made. I agree. This board provides the foundation to one of the most stable computers I own.

I don't deny that VIA has had their share of problems, but they are not the company that you make them out to be and their products don't suck as much as you make them out to.

Quote:
VIA knew if they never fixed the problem companies would eventually be forced to design other hardware to compensate.

If this is true then I agree that it's a sad thing for other companies to suffer for the bad practices of one company. However, take a look at Intel and tell me they haven't done the same or much worse!

Studies show that the human brain approaches 100 percent retention.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2001 12:31:49 AM

Problems directly the fault of VIA used to affect over 10% of systems so equiped. Now they're down to around 5%, do to manufacturers designing their parts to be VIA compatable.

Back to you Tom...
!