What screen resolution to buy in a laptop?

ME

I've never owned a laptop before but getting ready to
buy one this fall for student use in college

I'm looking at either the 6000..... or 700m.

I see where you can get three diff screen resolutions
in the 6000. You can get XGA, WXGA, and WUXGA.

Any advice on what to get and why?

I'm not sure what the smaller 700m is available in. I
will look in meantime.

Advice?

I just bought a 6000 for my son with WXGA
1280x800. Works great and very readable.
He likes it, as do I. The WSXGA+ and WUXGA
both seemed a too dense for me, but I'm 71.
YMMV

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> I've never owned a laptop before but getting ready to
> buy one this fall for student use in college
>
> I'm looking at either the 6000..... or 700m.
>
> I see where you can get three diff screen resolutions
> in the 6000. You can get XGA, WXGA, and WUXGA.
>
> Any advice on what to get and why?
>
> I'm not sure what the smaller 700m is available in. I
> will look in meantime.
>
> Advice?

ME

>I just bought a 6000 for my son with WXGA
>1280x800. Works great and very readable.
>He likes it, as do I. The WSXGA+ and WUXGA
>both seemed a too dense for me, but I'm 71.

Hmmm...something I didn't think abt.

My eyes aren't so good anymore...so maybe the WXGA
would be easier for me to read huh?

I mean..... the above are "native" formats, right?

me@privacy.net wrote:
> I've never owned a laptop before but getting ready to
> buy one this fall for student use in college
>
> I'm looking at either the 6000..... or 700m.
>
> I see where you can get three diff screen resolutions
> in the 6000. You can get XGA, WXGA, and WUXGA.
>
> Any advice on what to get and why?
>
> I'm not sure what the smaller 700m is available in. I
> will look in meantime.

I beleive the 700m is only offered in one resolution, WXGA. I went with
a D610 which has a 14.1" screen (not wide) and I use SXGA+ (1400x1050);
I am very satisfied with it. I need extra resolution because I do a lot
of circuit designs (I'm a 4th year electrical engineering major),
however I found UXGA (1600x1200) made everything way too small on a
14.1" screen (IBM offers in on the T43). Also, I beleive you may be
incorrect regarding what the I6000 is offered in (it's 15.4 widescreen,
so it shouldn't support XGA which is non-widescreen); the D610 (the
I6000's Latitude cousin) is offered in WXGA, WSXGA+, & WUXGA (which I
still find makes text too small at 15.4"). If WSXGA+ is offered on the
I6000, I'd go with that.

> Advice?

Your two model choices are quite different from each other. If you plan
to only use a laptop at school, and not have a desktop as well, I'd
recommend either the Inspiron 6000 or 600m, or the Latitude D610 or D810
(this is presuming you actually plan to take the computer to class, lab,
etc.). If you plan to have a desktop, and just want something to take
notes in class, use at the coffee shop, etc. the 700m is great. I
wouldn't go larger than 15.4" (in fact, personally I wouldn't go larger
than 14.1" and 5.5lbs) if you plan to actually carry the notebooks
around. Lastly, if you're considering other brands, check out the IBM
(well Lenovo) Thinkpads, particularly the T & X series. Also note your
school probably can get a student discount, but this may not be cheaper
than the discounts offered directly by Dell (although IBM's student
discounts are excellent).

me@privacy.net wrote:
>Any advice on what to get and why?

I got my Latitude D600 with 1400x1050, and I find it's a bit too much,
not only are my eyes getting old, but Web pages are only using 2/3 of
the screen, etc. Reducing the resolution makes everything fuzzy...

I'd trade mine in on 1024x768 if I could...

In article <84q1b19s8icbeci2p43g0vogrve0o2c1tf@4ax.com>,
<William P. N. Smith> wrote:
>me@privacy.net wrote:
>>Any advice on what to get and why?
>
>I got my Latitude D600 with 1400x1050, and I find it's a bit too much,
>not only are my eyes getting old, but Web pages are only using 2/3 of
>the screen, etc. Reducing the resolution makes everything fuzzy...

Have you tried enabling large icons or selecting 'large fonts'? Windows
has a few system wide settings that can enlarge the text on your screen.

-Mike
--
http://www.mschaef.com

Correct
> >I just bought a 6000 for my son with WXGA
>>1280x800. Works great and very readable.
>>He likes it, as do I. The WSXGA+ and WUXGA
>>both seemed a too dense for me, but I'm 71.
>
> Hmmm...something I didn't think abt.
>
> My eyes aren't so good anymore...so maybe the WXGA
> would be easier for me to read huh?
>
> I mean..... the above are "native" formats, right?

ME

>f you plan
>to only use a laptop at school, and not have a desktop as well, I'd
>recommend either the Inspiron 6000 or 600m,

yes this is my plan

To use a laptop only..... no desktop at all

But....do laptops have a "native" resolution? if
yes.... are they best run in that native resolution?

And.... can the be changed to a diff resolution if
desired?

ME

So when buying a new laptop..... what should one by
when it comes to display?

The Dell 6000 comes in WXGA, WSXGA, and WUXGA

Should I opt for the bets (WXUGA).... and adjust down
if needed?

mschaef@eris.io.com (MSCHAEF.COM) wrote:
> <William P. N. Smith> wrote:
>>I got my Latitude D600 with 1400x1050, and I find it's a bit too much,
>>not only are my eyes getting old, but Web pages are only using 2/3 of
>>the screen, etc. Reducing the resolution makes everything fuzzy...

>Have you tried enabling large icons or selecting 'large fonts'? Windows
>has a few system wide settings that can enlarge the text on your screen.

Yeah, but they are neither functional nor consistent. You'll get
small boxes with large text overflowing the boundaries of it or other
wierd effects. It's just ugly.

me@privacy.net wrote:
>But....do laptops have a "native" resolution? if
>yes.... are they best run in that native resolution?

Yes.

>And.... can the be changed to a diff resolution if
>desired?

Yes, but then they get fuzzy, which IMHO is worse than tiny, because
you aren't doing an integral multiple of the native pixel resolution.

If you don't need high resolution, get 1024x768. You can alway attach
an external monitor for highres stuff like photos (which will look a
lot better on a tube anyway).

ME

>Yeah, but they are neither functional nor consistent. You'll get
>small boxes with large text overflowing the boundaries of it or other
>wierd effects. It's just ugly.

Agree

me@privacy.net wrote in news:5l33b1dnu0uufh7b8m5f92996lghh93vfh@4ax.com:
> But....do laptops have a "native" resolution? if
> yes.... are they best run in that native resolution?
>
> And.... can the be changed to a diff resolution if
> desired?

yes, yes & yes

me@privacy.net wrote in news:cd83b19minqukpmdmbcd41vbd4tnv53p3q@4ax.com:

> So when buying a new laptop..... what should one by
> when it comes to display?
>
> The Dell 6000 comes in WXGA, WSXGA, and WUXGA
>
> Should I opt for the bets (WXUGA).... and adjust down
> if needed?

It depends on your needs. For things photography there is no substitute for
resoltion and for programming there is no substitute for a huge desktop. It
is possible to tweak the GUI to a certain extend, but some elements are not
so easily resized. Therefor you should really consider what you needs are.
For me there is only one choice (WUXGA) .... but then I am nearsighted ;)

--
Hans

ME

>Therefor you should really consider what you needs are.
>For me there is only one choice (WUXGA) .... but then I am nearsighted ;)

I'm extremely near sighted as well!

But how does the WUXGA help in that regard?

ME

>I have an 8600 with WUXGA (native is 1920x1200).
>
>Now this is fine for high resolution needs (although I can't think of a single real need), but you will not like it at all for everyday use (far too small). So I run my system in WXGA (1280x800)

Ok thanks for the help!!

At least I know I "can" run the WUXGA machine in a
lower mode if I should "want" to.

You see..... most of the time it would be used for
surfing net, word, etc.

But I do occasionally want to watch a DVD movie on it.

So it sounds like I should buy WXUGA laptop.... and run
it in lower mode when needed?

William P. N. Smith wrote:

> You can alway attach
> an external monitor for highres stuff like photos (which will look a
> lot better on a tube anyway).

Photos on my 9300 appear far superior to the same photo on a crt.

me@privacy.net wrote:
>So it sounds like I should buy WXUGA laptop.... and run
>it in lower mode when needed?

No, since you are downsampling by a non-integral multiple of your
display resolution, the result will look really fuzzy. Try it in a
laptop display at your local computer store.

me@privacy.net wrote:
>>f you plan
>>to only use a laptop at school, and not have a desktop as well, I'd
>>recommend either the Inspiron 6000 or 600m,
>

> yes this is my plan
>
> To use a laptop only..... no desktop at all

Well as I already stated, I'd consider either the I6000 (D810 or M70)
line or the 600m (D610 or M20) line.

> But....do laptops have a "native" resolution? if
> yes.... are they best run in that native resolution?

Yes, they are like standard LCD's in that they have native resolutions,
and yes they run best in their native res.

> And.... can the be changed to a diff resolution if
> desired?

If you choose not to run in the native res, multiples of it work best,
but I'd attempt to stick with the native whenever possible. As I've
already suggested, I'd go with the WSXGA (I'd recommend trying to find
someone running WUXGA to see how small it looks on a 15.4" monitor).

ME

>I beleive the 700m is only offered in one resolution, WXGA. I went with
>a D610 which has a 14.1" screen (not wide) and I use SXGA+ (1400x1050);
>I am very satisfied with it. I need extra resolution because I do a lot
>of circuit designs (I'm a 4th year electrical engineering major),

OK an the above. But do you need to carry the above
laptop around much? Say to student lounge to use
wireless? Or coffee shop?

If yes... you've not found the extra size to be a
hassle? Extra size over the 700m that is?

> Also, I beleive you may be
>incorrect regarding what the I6000 is offered in (it's 15.4 widescreen,
>so it shouldn't support XGA which is non-widescreen);

Yes I was incorrect on above.

> If you plan to have a desktop, and just want something to take
>notes in class, use at the coffee shop, etc. the 700m is great. I
>wouldn't go larger than 15.4" (in fact, personally I wouldn't go larger
>than 14.1"

So you really feel the 700m would be too small as my
ONLY PC (no desktop)?

And yes.... IBM was the other brand I'm looking at. So
I will look at their 14.1" offerings as well.