Computer locks up

Please help

My computer monitor does not wape up
if idles for sometime, tried extending the time for screensaver, power
Options selected to "never" ; still the same. Changed hardrives refresh BIOS
Any help appreciated
-
saldirusa
4 answers Last reply
More about computer locks

    If possible, try using your monitor with a seperate computer system to see if
    it still works. Sounds like your monitor may have malfunctioned and may need
    to be replaced. If you turn off the monitor and turn it back on and all you
    get is a black screen with the other computer, its dead. Also, see if the
    little power light on your monitor is green: ON Yellow: Standby mode or Red:
    Internal failure.

    "saldir" wrote:

    > Please help
    >
    > My computer monitor does not wape up
    > if idles for sometime, tried extending the time for screensaver, power
    > Options selected to "never" ; still the same. Changed hardrives refresh BIOS
    > Any help appreciated
    > -
    > saldirusa

    when it goes to standby green light is on and can continue
    When goes to Orange (stanby) monitor does not restart
    Thanks

    --
    saldirusa

    "saldir" <saldir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Please help
    >
    > My computer monitor does not wape up
    > if idles for sometime, tried extending the time for screensaver, power
    > Options selected to "never" ; still the same. Changed hardrives
    > refresh BIOS

    Other than just disabling the power-down options (for monitor and
    drives), also disable going into Standby mode (and especially Hibernate
    mode). Then make sure your system actually does not go into a power
    mode; i.e., check that your monitor and hard drives do not power down,
    and that your system doesn't go into Standby (or Hibernate) mode. If
    they do then go into BIOS and disable its power-saving functions. Once
    you get your system so it stays up all the time then try setting the
    power-saving option to turn off the monitor after some specified number
    of minutes. Once the monitor goes into the power-save mode, move the
    mouse or hit a key to see if the monitor comes back on. If it doesn't
    come back on, you have hardware or driver problems. Could be the
    monitor doesn't work for coming out of power-save mode. Could be the
    video card doesn't bring the monitor out of the power-save mode. Could
    be you have a driver that doesn't support the "green" modes for saving
    power.

    If the monitor does come out of power-save mode okay, and if the same is
    okay for bringing the drives out of power-save mode, then the problem is
    with hardware or drivers that won't work when the system is put into
    Standby or Hibernate mode. Be sure to test only one green mode at a
    time: enable Standby mode but NOT Hibernate mode and test again. Some
    systems work okay for Standby mode but not Hibernate mode. If it is
    only Hibernate mode that locks up your system (i.e., won't wake up from
    Hibernate mode), disable it under Power Options and just use Standby
    mode. Updating the drivers is easy enough so I don't need to tell you
    how to go through that process. If updating the drivers doesn't fix
    your problem then your you have hardware that really doesn't support the
    green modes (Standby or Hibernate).

    If it is Standby mode (or, more likely, Hibernate mode) from which you
    cannot awake, and if you have the mouse or keyboard connected to USB
    ports, try moving them to the PS/2 ports.

    For e-mail, remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" passcode to Subject.

    Thanks for the info, for now is working ok after i removed all power options
    Will try following your steps again when I get back from vacations
    Thank again
    Saldir
    --
    saldirusa

    "Vanguard" wrote:

    > "saldir" <saldir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Please help
    > >
    > > My computer monitor does not wape up
    > > if idles for sometime, tried extending the time for screensaver, power
    > > Options selected to "never" ; still the same. Changed hardrives
    > > refresh BIOS
    >

    > Other than just disabling the power-down options (for monitor and
    > drives), also disable going into Standby mode (and especially Hibernate
    > mode). Then make sure your system actually does not go into a power
    > mode; i.e., check that your monitor and hard drives do not power down,
    > and that your system doesn't go into Standby (or Hibernate) mode. If
    > they do then go into BIOS and disable its power-saving functions. Once
    > you get your system so it stays up all the time then try setting the
    > power-saving option to turn off the monitor after some specified number
    > of minutes. Once the monitor goes into the power-save mode, move the
    > mouse or hit a key to see if the monitor comes back on. If it doesn't
    > come back on, you have hardware or driver problems. Could be the
    > monitor doesn't work for coming out of power-save mode. Could be the
    > video card doesn't bring the monitor out of the power-save mode. Could
    > be you have a driver that doesn't support the "green" modes for saving
    > power.
    >
    > If the monitor does come out of power-save mode okay, and if the same is
    > okay for bringing the drives out of power-save mode, then the problem is
    > with hardware or drivers that won't work when the system is put into
    > Standby or Hibernate mode. Be sure to test only one green mode at a
    > time: enable Standby mode but NOT Hibernate mode and test again. Some
    > systems work okay for Standby mode but not Hibernate mode. If it is
    > only Hibernate mode that locks up your system (i.e., won't wake up from
    > Hibernate mode), disable it under Power Options and just use Standby
    > mode. Updating the drivers is easy enough so I don't need to tell you
    > how to go through that process. If updating the drivers doesn't fix
    > your problem then your you have hardware that really doesn't support the
    > green modes (Standby or Hibernate).
    >
    > If it is Standby mode (or, more likely, Hibernate mode) from which you
    > cannot awake, and if you have the mouse or keyboard connected to USB
    > ports, try moving them to the PS/2 ports.

    > For e-mail, remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" passcode to Subject.

Support Computers Microsoft Windows XP