Security Center alerts not showing in System Tray

I know I messed something up monkeying with the Registry. I am not getting
any Security Center warnings in the System Tray. I have a feeling that this
may have occurred when I went through the Registry trying to clean it of
anything related to Symantec in an attempt to do a reinstallation.

Is there a registry entry I could create that would re-enable this?

Thanks for your help.

"MBO" <MBO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know I messed something up monkeying with the Registry. I am not getting
> any Security Center warnings in the System Tray. I have a feeling that
> this
> may have occurred when I went through the Registry trying to clean it of
> anything related to Symantec in an attempt to do a reinstallation.
>
> Is there a registry entry I could create that would re-enable this?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Check if these settings are checked, Firewall, Automatic Update, Virus
protection

Control Panel > Security Center > Change the way Security Center alerts me
(located on the left-hand side)

--
William

Anytime you use Regedit, be sure to first make a Save copy of all of registry. (File , Save).

If you are still having a problem with Security Center:
Given you have Windows XP, select RUN option from Start menu. Type in
SERVICES.MSC

Scroll down list of Windows services. Does Security Center show ? and if so, what is the Status? Startup Type should be automatic.

Find the "Restore Security Center Service" at Kelly's XP Korner Tweaks and Fixes page.
Try the edit on line #338 ( right hand side of page)

Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
-----

MBO wrote:
> I know I messed something up monkeying with the Registry. I am not
> getting any Security Center warnings in the System Tray. I have a
> feeling that this may have occurred when I went through the Registry
> trying to clean it of anything related to Symantec in an attempt to
> do a reinstallation.
>
> Is there a registry entry I could create that would re-enable this?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Maureen and William,

Thanks much for your reply. This is great information. I will be saving this
information for when I do idiotic things in the future. <G>

MBO

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> Anytime you use Regedit, be sure to first make a Save copy of all of registry. (File , Save).
>
> If you are still having a problem with Security Center:
> Given you have Windows XP, select RUN option from Start menu. Type in
> SERVICES.MSC
>
> Scroll down list of Windows services. Does Security Center show ? and if so, what is the Status? Startup Type should be automatic.
>
> Find the "Restore Security Center Service" at Kelly's XP Korner Tweaks and Fixes page.
> Try the edit on line #338 ( right hand side of page)

> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>

> MBO wrote:
> > I know I messed something up monkeying with the Registry. I am not
> > getting any Security Center warnings in the System Tray. I have a
> > feeling that this may have occurred when I went through the Registry
> > trying to clean it of anything related to Symantec in an attempt to
> > do a reinstallation.
> >
> > Is there a registry entry I could create that would re-enable this?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.

You're welcome MBO.

--
William

> Maureen and William,
>
> Thanks much for your reply. This is great information. I will be saving
> this
> information for when I do idiotic things in the future. <G>
>
> MBO
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
>> Anytime you use Regedit, be sure to first make a Save copy of all of
>> registry. (File , Save).
>>
>> If you are still having a problem with Security Center:
>> Given you have Windows XP, select RUN option from Start menu. Type in
>> SERVICES.MSC
>>
>> Scroll down list of Windows services. Does Security Center show ? and
>> if so, what is the Status? Startup Type should be automatic.
>>
>> Find the "Restore Security Center Service" at Kelly's XP Korner Tweaks
>> and Fixes page.
>> Try the edit on line #338 ( right hand side of page)
>>
>> --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
>>

>> MBO wrote:
>> > I know I messed something up monkeying with the Registry. I am not
>> > getting any Security Center warnings in the System Tray. I have a
>> > feeling that this may have occurred when I went through the Registry
>> > trying to clean it of anything related to Symantec in an attempt to
>> > do a reinstallation.
>> >
>> > Is there a registry entry I could create that would re-enable this?
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help.

YW

--
Maurice N