freeaddrinfo

I have tried to install the latest version of Yahoo Messenger after
uninstalling the older version. When trying to run the Yahoo installer I get
a window pop up that says "The procedure entry point freeaddrinfo could not
be located in the dynamic link library Ws2_32.dll" . Is this a windows bug
and if so how can it be fixed? I'm running XP Pro with Service 2 pack.

Thx,
Firey
1 answer Last reply
More about freeaddrinfo

    "Firey1990" <Firey1990@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have tried to install the latest version of Yahoo Messenger after
    > uninstalling the older version. When trying to run the Yahoo
    > installer I get
    > a window pop up that says "The procedure entry point freeaddrinfo
    > could not
    > be located in the dynamic link library Ws2_32.dll" . Is this a
    > windows bug
    > and if so how can it be fixed? I'm running XP Pro with Service 2
    > pack.

    In Windows Explorer, when you right-click on the .dll file and select
    Properties and look under the Version tab, does it indicate who actually
    wrote that dynamic link library (DLL) file?

    You could try booting using the installation CD for Windows XP and
    running a Repair (not the first offered Repair option which puts you
    into Recovery Console mode but the second Repair option which performs
    an in-place upgrade of the OS). However, if you have applied Service
    Pack 2 but the installation CD is pre-SP2 then you need to create a
    slipstreamed CD that incorporates SP2 into the new installation CD that
    you create before you do the repair. Otherwise, you will be "repairing"
    your OS with old versions of files (and a subsequent Windows Updates
    might not update them all back to the current service pack level that
    you had).

    You could also try downloading the file from
    http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?ws2_32. However, it
    is likely that the file will be inuse so you won't be able to copy it
    atop the existing file. You will need to try booting into Safe Mode w/o
    networking or into Recovery Console mode to see if you can replace it
    then.

    Hmm, I just noticed that the file is a protected system file so a copy
    of it is under C:\Windows\System32\DLLcache. Well, perhaps it is there.
    If you run "sfc /scannow" to run the System File Checker, it will check
    if the version of the file is different than the cached copy in the
    DLLcache folder. However, if the file is not in DLLcache folder than
    you get prompted to insert your installation CD (and if it is pre-SP2
    then you end up copying in the old version of this file and why you need
    the slipstreamed CD).

    I copied my ws2_32.dll to a temp directory (so I could putz with it) and
    use FileSnoop (from PC Magazine) to look inside. The Information tab
    will list all the externally accessible entry points (i.e., callable
    functions) within the DLL file. There is an entry point named
    "freeaddrinfo".
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winsock/winsock/freeaddrinfo_2.asp
    describes the function in that DLL file.

    For e-mail, remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" passcode to Subject.

Windows XP