XP Startup Problem

Tags:
  • Windows XP
August 21, 2005 2:26:01 AM

I returned home this evening, to a black computer screen, with a message
about a bad boot disk in Drive A. I didn't pay that much attention to the
words, I figured I would just restart. The restart failed with this message
- 'Following File missing or corrpted: c:\windows\ifshlp.sys
wininit.exe missing/unable to load.
I hit enter and got: 'The folllowing file is missing or corrupted:
C:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd
Type the name of the windows Loader'
I tried rebooting in Safe Mode..got the same messages. I did notice that
the Safe Mode said Windows Millenium Startup Menu, not XP. In the KB, the
only reference I found related to ifshlp.sys was about trying to start an
earlier version of Windows after removing XP. Has something happened to my
XP installation? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
--
Rich Zarr

More about : startup problem

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 2:58:04 AM

Try going to TechNet at microsoft.com,locate in the sub-menu,troubleshooting
and support,then locate,events-errors.Type in youre info to the on-line
utility for specific info on whats going on.

"Rich Zarr" wrote:

> I returned home this evening, to a black computer screen, with a message
> about a bad boot disk in Drive A. I didn't pay that much attention to the
> words, I figured I would just restart. The restart failed with this message
> - 'Following File missing or corrpted: c:\windows\ifshlp.sys
> wininit.exe missing/unable to load.
> I hit enter and got: 'The folllowing file is missing or corrupted:
> C:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd
> Type the name of the windows Loader'
> I tried rebooting in Safe Mode..got the same messages. I did notice that
> the Safe Mode said Windows Millenium Startup Menu, not XP. In the KB, the
> only reference I found related to ifshlp.sys was about trying to start an
> earlier version of Windows after removing XP. Has something happened to my
> XP installation? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
> --
> Rich Zarr
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 1:23:29 PM

Rich,
Was there a diskette in drive A? and if so, did you remove it?

Did this pc previously have Windows Me? Is the XP partition using NTFS or FAT32? If on FAT32, you can use a dos boot diskette, and then locate & view contents of BOOT.INI (most usually in root of C drive); and for presence of Ntldr & Ntdetect.com

A possibility is that your Boot.ini file is missing or corrupted.

See "How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to Start Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/314079

Do you have a full XP CD (not a "system recovery CD from a OEM or pc manufacturer) ?
If you have XP CD, you'd be able to boot from it , and be able to select and use the XP Recovery Console.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

!