Rowdy

when reloading my validated purchased copy of XP Professional on my Sony
laptop, I get a message reading: "Bad pool caller". I have two
validated copies of XP professional upgrade and one validated XP
professional home use upgrade. It does this same thing on all three.
What gives?

--
Rowdy

"Rowdy" <Rowdy.1u3n25@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> when reloading my validated purchased copy of XP Professional on my Sony
> laptop, I get a message reading: "Bad pool caller". I have two
> validated copies of XP professional upgrade and one validated XP
> professional home use upgrade. It does this same thing on all three.
> What gives?

It sounds like a hardware problem. The two most likely are bad ram or bad
hard drive. Could also possibly be a bad driver. Have you recently installed
any new hardware?

Kerry

How old is the Sony laptop? Have you verified that there's no hardware problem?

Did you write down all of the message, code number and text? If so, that would be helpful to have.

Pls clarify if you are doing (a) the Sony system recovery, (b) a repair install of XP, or (c) a fresh/new/clean setup of XP ?
We can't be certain what you mean by "reloading".

Bad pool caller is error number STOP 0x000000c2. See this reference.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_czgw.asp

A Stop 0xC2 message might also be due to failing or defective hardware.

Use a working pc and get a memory test utility, place on diskette, and run it on the Sony.
Run a RAM memory test. MEMTEST86 is one such utility.
See http://www.memtest86.com/

I personally prefer & use TUFF TEST Pro
http://www.tufftest.com/

--